Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

booboonose.jpgBBportraitsmall.jpgWell I finished her today. I aptly named her BooBoo because I am sure there are a million of them in this little bear. It took me longer than I expected only because I dragged my feet. I had so much anticipation of making this bear that I was scared it was going to look like poo-poo. I had this image in my head, then I put it on paper hoping when she came to life it resembled what was in my head. She came close. There are several things I learned on this journey of a "first bear."

1. Do not close a seam on a curve.
2. Do not make bears when both your kids are home.
3. Make sure to mark the joint placement on the outside of the bear.
4. It's okay to remove stuffing.
5. Steel shot goes at the BOTTOM of the bear.
6. Cotter pins can be removed.
7. 1/32nd of a inch is a LOT.
8. Upholstery thread does break.
9. Reading directions for sewing a nose is frustrating.
10. The ladder stitch is the greatest invention.
11. It's okay to re-work the pattern in the middle of the bear.
12. I still can't figure out the nose instructions.
13. Prismacolor pencils are pretty darn good, even if you bought them in 1986.
14. The instructions on TT for sewing on eyes were fantastic (I will find who posted those..thank you!).
15. Photographing bears is tough. Booboo looks much better in person.
16. Again, do not close a seam on a curve (what was I thinking? duh).

I have lots of changes for the next bear. I could not have made this bear without y'alls help. Thank you. I hope to get much better in the future. I have a looooooong way to go and lots to learn. She ended up being 8 inches tall, made from sparse, curly matted mohair. The pre-crimped glass eyes were easy to work with, although next time I am going to get a darker color. I am not too keen on the rose color I picked. Oh well.

nandesign Posts: 361

Hi Jennifer:

I can relate to all of those...too funny! Your little bear is just adorable. It doesn't look like you are going to have any problems making sweet little bears. I like the rose color...makes him/her look even sweeter and unique. Keep up the terrific work!!

Hugs, Nancy bear_flower

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I think she turned out fantastic Jennifer!  Her face is so expressive and I like the color eyes you chose.  It makes her look antique-y.  I adore my Prismacolor Pencils!  My favorite color is the white.  It is even more amazing I think than the colorless blender pencil.  Oh, and I've broken your rule #2 plus one kid about a gazillion times over the past three years.  My kids are ALWAYS home!  Amazing how you adapt though.  I can now run, yell, point and give a wicked evil eye while basting my bear parts!

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

awesome job! I love the personality that shows in her. I like the color fur you chose, too. isn't it funny how each one just shows you what you wanna do with the NEXT one??

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Really lovely first bear!
He does not look like a Booboo bear, though!
Very appealing.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I wouldn't calle him a booboo either.  he is truly cute.  i love the colour.  But then I like pink and purple and green and...

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

He is really very sweet. Fortunately I didn't start bear-making until my 4 kids were gone!

Marion

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Thanks everyone! I've at least got a start, and a list of do's and don'ts for my next one.

I think next time I will use black for the nose unless I am working with white, darker eyes (maybe black).

Going to try foot pads next time. I actually had some cut out, but the seam for the leg was going to close on a curve again (dumb). I had drawn a leg that was a one-piece that is folded over so I couldn't cut the back open as I would have no seam allowance. So I decided to close the curve of the leg and stuff through the bottom of the foot, ending my footpad venture. I am also going to add paw pads to the arms. Do y'all ever flip over your mohair and use the backing for the pads? Seems like a perfect color match. Is there any drawbacks to that?

I am going to cut back on the neck. The neck is too long for my liking.

I must also read the nose directions again when I am practicing, not when I am sewing on the bear. Sounds lame, but I can't figure out the "Y" at the base. I totally did it by the seat of my pants. I followed some instructions on here but I got lost.

I had a hard time with the lock nuts. When I was tightening it down (putting on the head) the whole bolt started to spin and it wouldn't tighten. So I took it apart and used a cotter pin.

Thanks Shelli for the tip on putting the steel shot in a knee-hi nylon, knotting it and folding it over and over itself until it's a small pouch. I didn't realize how little you need to weight a bear.

I used matilda's directions for sinking the eyes, thank you. I liked doing it that way, no dimples and totally invisible.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

She's really adorable, Jennifer . . . looks very much like a little prim (primitive) bear.  Check out Lora Soling's (Lora Bears) and Karen O'Brien's (Quiet Companions) creations.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Jennifer, I loved reading your "learning curve" for your first mohair bear.  It is all so true.  And you know the thing is, even after 100 bears, you are still changing things and learning things for every new bear you do.  I think that is why I love the craft so much and never tire of starting a new bear.  Everyone is totally different and the process can change so much with each new bear.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

:clap:  :clap: She turned out lovely Jennifer.
I can add another to your list...17: there is and always be more to learn. :dance:
Wendy

Board footer