Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Hi all, I came across this old book yesterday, and it is filled with the most inspirational messages or quotes.
As we come across times that really test us in the pursute of our art, I thought that not only myself but others could benifit from the contents.
Here is one I picked out randomly, if you would like more let me know.
Hugs, Chris.

Your mind is a field, a garden, a storehouse, a telegraph station, a clearing house.
It will keep you fully occupied to cultivate this field and garden,
to store up golden truths in the recesses of your memory,
to send out uplifting thoughts to others, and to keep this wonderful mental word of yours in order.
All that is really worth while in your life is first outlined in your mind.
Ideas and ideals, plans and purposes, aims and aspirations, all begin here.
Let your mental workshop claim your constant attention.
Remember that good thoughts carry the essence of health, harmony, and happiness.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

It sounds like a wonderful book....Old?  used book?  Name?

thanks for sharing

gollyhugs
dilu

Ooopps, I was just going to edit and put in the author but you beat me too it  bear_grin
Inspiration and Ideals
by Grenville Kleiser
Published byFunk & Wagnalls N.Y
first published 1917
It has a lovely quote by Ruskin in the front

Do you ask to be the companion of nobles?
Make yourself noble, and you shall be.
Do you long for the conversation of the wise?
Learn to understand it, and you shall hear it.

Hugs, Chris

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Christine, I loooooooooove books, especially ones like yours with wonderful inspirational content - I may go " a hunting"!  I'd love to hear more.

hugs,

Brenda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I love books like that.  Where did you find it?

Bron, I found it at a shop that was quiet out of the ordinary.  It had old books and old craft items that had never been used.  I bought a lovely large painted crosstitch of a fairy to do, but have no idea when I am going to get to do it. But, I know how much they are worth and it was only $10 and hadn't even been opened.  The shop was just open temporarily to sell off a collection of things from one house, but it must have been a very big house, as the shop was full.
Or must have been a horder like me  bear_whistle

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh it sounds divine you lucky duck!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Chris what a lucky find, I love places like that and yes I would love to hear more words of wisdom.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

May I suggest a book that I give to friends? I look for the original book because it is a small format  - 4" x 5" - and has a monochromatic woodcut on the cover. I keep it on the dresser near my sidde of the bed.
This sounds preachy but it's absolutely not: Meditations For Women Who Do Too Much.

It's a calendar-style format, one page for each day of the year plus a few extras.

Mine is bookmarked in several dozen places, as it is uncanny how it's absolutely spot-on for some special days in my life. Sometimes I open it several days in a row and then sometimes weeks or months go by w/o looking at it.

Every day opens with a short statement or question. Then a short paragraph or two and finally a succinct summary. It really gives you something to think about and a different perspective.

I just bought 2 this week for friends - they were about $3 each (eBay & Amazon Used books); I like to keep an extra on hand for gifting.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Thanks Bobbie, I will have a look for it.

hugs,

Brenda

Summer5 Pawssibles
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan

Hi Christine,

Wonderful quotes.  I agree, there are always times when we need to refocus on some basic truths.  Keep them coming. I found a good book called Happiness Now by Robert Holden.

"true happiness is an inner power, natural, healing, abundant and always available"

Hi Jo, that's a lovely one.  Sometimes we can forget to smile.
Hugs~ Chris

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

bear_thumb Lovely verses Chris ... I think there are times when we all need an inspirational message.

Board footer