Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Hey everyone,
I was wondering...What are your favorite books and magazines for bear making or needlefelting? I need to get some more books for inspiration.

Also side question...I am making a bear with big...I mean BIG feet...do I have to make sure that he stands alone? Cant he just be a sitting bear or is it desirable to have a bear that stands without help?

Thanks for help!

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Alexis,

Personally I like all the teddy magazines out there, they are all great for inspiration!

This is a good book on needlefelting:  http://www.bearycheap.com/ezimerchant/prod1581.htm

Do you make small or large bears?

One of my favourite books is "How to Make Enchanting Miniature Teddy Bears"  see http://www.amazon.com/Make-Enchanting-M … 0891347380

I'm sure others will have some recommendations for you bear_original

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Alexis I can't wait to see your bear with big feet,  we also tend to do large feet on our bears.  As for your question about big feet and having the bear stand on their own, no not all bears have to stand.  Most of our bears with really huge feet are sitting, I prefer them that way or how else would you be able to show off the beautiful big feet  :crackup:  :crackup: .   We do a lot of standing bears at the moment, for some reason I have gone into a phase that I like the standing bear (sometimes it all depends on the bear and what they want).

big hugs

Shane

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Hi Alexis I can recommend Jennifer Laing's The Art of Teddy Bear making. Nancy Tilberg,s 101 bears to make, The Australian Bear Creations magazine is great as it has project bears with the patterns and gives alot of information and tips on bear making.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Here in the UK, my favourite mag is the Teddy Bear Scene ... www.teddybearscene.co.uk

From the US, I susbscribe to Teddy Bear and Friends and also to Teddy Bear Review, both of which I find really interesting.

As for books, it depends what you are wanting from them ... Jennifer Laing has published some great bearcrafting books and I know lots of people who have found Nancy Tillsberg's 101 Bears to Make really helpful.  My favourite bear books are more for research ... for example, Pauline Cockrill's 'The Ultimate Teddy Bear'  and also her 'Teddy Bear Encyclopedia' are terrific for research.  Also, I have a stack of back catalogue's for Christie's teddy bear auctions and they are really useful.

If you fancy an online course or two, the Ebearz website is definitely worth a visit ... http://www.kranbearys.com/EbearZ/index.htm

I find that it pays to keep a broad perspective when considering your bear designing ... for example, books on doll crafting, beading, quilting etc etc etc., can all spark inspiration!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Thank you so much...

Catherine- I make all different size bears. I LOVE the minis, but have been changing my designs to make larger bears. I am starting a pretty large creation this weekend. I cant wait to post pics!

Shane- Thanks for the insight on the big feet. I would like to be able to put my babies in a magazine someday and wondered what bear "judges" are looking for...KWIM? BTW...Love love love your name!

Patsy-Perfect, thank you for the book names. I have 101 but the other is now being searched on Amazon. Thanks!

Paula-Fantastic...I have been wanting to take a course or two online. I totally understand what you mean about other crafts being an inspiration. I am learning how to knit and crochet, I have been sewing for a while and have been a jewelry artist for a LONG time. I love beading and that is where alot of my inspiration comes from!

Thanks again everyone!  :hug:

Board footer