Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I am going very dark brown mohair (almost black) on my next bear. Do y'all do light eyes on darker mohair? I was thinking black might get lost. I was thinking of a light brown so they would pop. I know most of it is personal choice. I was just wondering.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I would use a brown or a blue myself bear_original If your eyes are transparent, maybe you could try layering some white over the back of the eye to provide a more opaque colour too? Or try eyelids to outline the eyes bear_original

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
Gantaeno wrote:

layering some white over the back of the eye

white paint? white fabric?

I found an example of some beautiful eyes. This is from Jody B. Bears. After reading, I discovered she is handpainting her eyes. I love them!

http://able.wordpress.com/tag/hand-dyed/

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Either bear_original I think paint would be easier to control, but you could use a little circle of white felt and then tint the edges, or fold them inwards as lids to disguise them.

I love that bear! Just a cresent moon of goldish paint (or try gold leaf, it's great!) on the bottom of each eye, let it dry, and then a layer of darker paint over the top. If you want a set sparkle scratch or leave a hole at the top (same place on each eye) and fill that with white. Make your final coat of paint white if the colour is transparent bear_original I use this site for my sloth's eyes:

http://www.glasseyes.com/cgi-bin/produc … code=125OE

love them!

Hope my waffling is of some assistance XD

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

So would I be painting on the back of the eye or the front?

Those eyes on that website you posted are beautiful! Very cool.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

On the back bear_original That's why you do the front, lightest layers first bear_original

Thinking about it, a gold or silver leaf job like that would be really nice.... hmmmm...

If you want to go for the realistic style, you can put on your 'iris' colour in the inner circle, and then when it's dry scratch lines radiating out from the centre. Then put a dark coat on top, et voila! Instant eye!

I use that trick when I'm Photoshopping bear_happy

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I would go blue myself. Though my last Puddle had green eyes on black mohair. They got a little lost in the photos. Though in the fur they look good.  My latest Puddle's eyes are blue on a darkish mohair and they look fabulous.
With coloured eyes I put some glitter on the back to give them added sparkle against the dark mohair. it works a treat.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Jennifer,

Shelli handpaints all her bears eyes, as you probably already know.  She has shared her technique with here and here's a link to one of posts...I think it starts about #5.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=203  (although I noticed the images are no longer there...hmmmmmmmmm) I'm sure you can find her beautiful bears little peepers on her website or blog.   bear_grin )

It's fun...a bit messy...but fun anyway.

Hugs,

Board footer