Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

castlebar Kookaloon Bears & Buddies
Auburn, California
Website

Hi All,

I was asked if I can do a dog that is jointed in the legs, So I ordered the loc-line to give it a try. How do you keep it down in the leg and do you not stuff it to much so it can bend?
Do you like running it from the body into the leg or do the legs separate and have them attached to the body? I'm not sure how to make the pattern so the leg can swing and bend if it is attached to the body and the line runs from the spine I would have to make into the leg.
I've been just doing the legs attached to the outside of the body so they can swing.

Any tips would be great :-)

All the best
Laura

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Laura,
If you are already jointing the leg, you can just drill a hole or melt a hole in the loc-line to put the cotter pin or bolt  through so that it is part of the joint.  That will keep it in the leg.  And you will not stuff it as firmly as normal so that it has room to bend.  You could also have used wire.  If you can't figure out how to get the effect you want give me a holler and I will plan on meeting you.  Did you get the white or blue loc-line?
Donna

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Laura,
When I use the loc line, I do it just like Donna said (actually, I use a soldering iron to melt the hole in the locline), then I use regular quilt batting. Cut it to the same length as the leg, and wrap it a few times arounf the locline. Then I use the artificial sinew to wrap aound the outside of the batting to hold it on the loc line. Stuff the foot as usual, then put the locline with the batting wrapped around it,  into the leg, then joint as usual. You may need to add a little stuffing in some spots, but you want to keep it loose enough to bend. Be sure and stuff near the joint like you normally would. If it is a small dog, I would use wire instead. The loc line works better with bigger bears/dogs, etc.
Sonya

castlebar Kookaloon Bears & Buddies
Auburn, California
Website

Hi Donna and Sonya

Thank you for the tips, I ordered the blue color from Edinbourgh, it's a kit.
So I will try it the way you explained :-) Do you do classes? I saw something about supplies somewhere on your site?

also Sonya what is artificial sinew? I'm still learning. LOL

Thanks again for the help.

All the best
Laura

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I get my sinew from Sassy  http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/supplies.htm
It's under threads. Actually, I have all of the colours and find I use them a lot! Remember you can split the strand into thinner strands and it's indespensible for inserting eyes and needle-sculpting.

Marion

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I agree. I couldn't survive without artificial sinew. I use it for the eyes, for gathering the neck and for sewing my seams closed. Here is a link to a tutorial for inserting locline. I add a few steps when wrapping it with the batting, but that is just something I picked up on my own that seems to work good.
http://www.edinburghimports.com/articles/locline.html
There are a lot of tutorials right here that can really help a new bearmaker.
http://www.edinburghimports.com/articles.asp
Sonya

Board footer