Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

ArtRogersRabbit.jpgCat.jpgLast Saturday I took the plane from Boston to Philadelphia.  We had some Frequent Flyer tickets, so the plane ride was free.  Then I took a taxi to Mt. Holly, N.J. to take a class with Art Rogers at Teddies of Mt. Holly.  There was also a show which I missed because I thought it was also on Saturday, but it was only on Sunday. bear_sad

For the class, you could either make a cat or a dog.  I made the cat.  It was such a fun day.  Art and George who also helped teach were so nice, as was Pat, the shop owner.  The students were very friendly, also.  There were about 24 people in the class.  The cat people sat at one table and the dog people sat at another table.  One brave man made both the cat and the dog in one day.  I learned lots of new techniques.  Art's work is amazing.  He even makes his own critter eyes.

For lunch, we had yummy roll-ups, a choice of turkey, roast beef, chicken salad, ham, or cheese with veggies, and pasta and potato salads.

At the end of the day, several of the students asked Art if he could bring out his citters he brought for the show.  At least a third of them were snatched up and bought.  I got a rabbit.  bear_wub

Pat's husband even insisted on driving me back to the airport, about a 45 minute drive.

Here is a link on Art's website with pictures of the cat and dog for the class.  You have to scroll down the page a little to the Teddies of Mt. Holly Cat and Dog class.

http://www.chathamvillagebears.com/classes.htm

A completely wonderful day!  bear_original

Here is a photo of the cat I made in the Art Rogers class.  He supplied sewn pieces.  We stuffed, put the animals together and did the faces and other details.

And a photo of Art Roger's wonderful rabbit, Maeryn, that I bought from him.

K Pawz Guest

OH My Lucky You Ellen!! That looks like it was so much fun, and you did an awesome job on your cat.

Hugs,
Krista

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Art is such a doll.  It sounds like you had a great time!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow, what a fantastic day to have had. Your cat looks great, I would have loved to have been there with you all. What a shame you got the bear fair date wrong. Never mind I'm sure if you start saving hard you can join in on both events next time.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Lucky you and what a cute kitty!!

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

Ellen,

That's awesome! And you did a wonderful job on your cat! bear_thumb
Sounds like you had a fun and adventurous day! bear_cool

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a great kitty, Elle!  I've never met Art in person but have long admired his work.  I'm so jealous you got to see his stuff and meet him in person!  I also love the website for Teddies of Mt. Holly; they carry an awesome variety of bears by some great artists.  Sounds like it was a really fun day every way you slice it.  Thanks for posting pics!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Ellen: what a cute kitty!! well done. Now do tell, how did you find out about the class? Do you know if he is giving other classes. I love to travel to take bear classes. I went to his website you posted but it does not tell us about classes....

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Wonderful kitty. I checked his website and love his work...think I would have made the doggie.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thanks for the kitty compliments!  Everyone's cats and dogs came out great -- Art and George are wonderful teachers.

Michelle, the link should take you to his classes page.  Didn't it work?  His next class is a golly class on Oct. 13 in Mill Valley, Ca.  He also teaches from his studio in St. Louis.  I can PM you the info if you can't get to the page.  I love his work and looked to see if he had a website.  On his home page, he has a link to his classes.  I found it that way.    The link to the Teddies of Mt. Holly site was down with technical problems, and Art emailed Pat to let her know and ask if there was still room in the class.  It was less than a week before the class when I saw it, so it was great that it worked out.  It was really a spur-of-the-moment thing. 

I know, Marlys, I was really torn between the dog and the cat.  I thought the cat looked like it might have more new techniques, but when I left to go to the airport (6:15 PM) all the dog people were still working and most of the cat people had left.  A few of the dog people said it was pretty hard.  I love his wrinkly muzzle.

Shelli, the shop, Teddies of Mt. Holly, is amazing -- a large, beautiful shop in an old residential area of town.  And the teddies and critters were all so wonderful.  Lots of big name artists, too.  I wish I had more time to just look around when I was there, but saw several that I wanted to take home.  When Art brought out his critters, though, I fell in love with the rabbit and grabbed him.

P.S.  The photos were taken in my new light box.  What a difference it makes! -- the color and brightness, lightness are so much better than in previous pictures I've taken.

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

What a cute kitty. Art is such a fun person. He seems like he would be a great teacher. You must have had a blast!
AMy

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Oh Ellen you are so lucky, I wanted to take that class as well but by the time I looked into flights and hotel and the cost of the class (which was not expensive I might add) but when you totaled everything up it was going to be pretty expensive for me.   I already have the dog that he was teaching in the class, I bought it from him in April  as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it.  He does an adorable Weiner dog too, the head is almost as big as the body and I must have one of those at the next show.

I'm sure you would have learned to much from Art as he is such a fun guy,  we had a blast at TBAI in August I just laugh so hard when we are with Art and George.

So glad you had a good time, and your Kitty is adorable, if I didn't know you made it I would certainly think it was one of Art's  originals you did an amazing job on it.

big hugs

Shane

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Whoo HOOO !! Good job !!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have often admired his quirky creations. His designs have such a unique flair.
I am pale green with envy. I would have loved to have joined you for the class. :redface:
It sounds wonderful and congrats on your lovely cat and being able to score such an interesting rabbit. :clap:  :clap:
Wendy

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Your cat is awesome!!!  Art and George are fantastic - Art is a wonderful teacher and always willing to share.  Ohhh boy... if I had known he was doing a class... I may have looked into flights too!  I took his teddy necklace class in Schaumburg.

Hugz,
Laura Lynn

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Hi Ellen,
It was a pleasure meeting you at the class. It was such a fun and interesting day. I was really happy to meet Art & George and learn some new techniques
I loved the photos of your little bears, you really should make them available for adoption.
Your cat turned out grrreeaaattt!
~ Sandy

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Shane, I think Art had one of the weiner dogs with him.  He was wonderful.  I'm sorry you couldn't make it to the class.  It would have been great to meet you there.  I don't think I could have gone either, if I didn't have the free tickets.  It sounded like he will probably do another class there next year.  George said they also do a lot of shows.

Laura Lynn, do you have a picture of the teddy necklace you made in Schaumburg?  I'd love to see it.

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

Art and George are total hoots!!! They are great teddy world ambassadors! Pam

Summer5 Pawssibles
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan

That bunny is something else.  Love him, in fact love all your stuff! bear_thumb

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Oooh your kitty is so sweet ! And I'm dying for this rabbit !!  bear_wub  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yup - can't say enough nice things about Art . . . he's truly a very talented gentleman!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

art-necklace.jpg

Here he is!  His pattern was later published in Teddy Bear & Friends so you can make your own too!

Hugz,
Laura Lynn

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

He's adorable, Laura Lynn!  Very sweet  :clap: bear_original  Thank you for posting his photo.

Hi Sandy, it was so nice to meet you also.  Wasn't it a wonderful day?  Did you get back on Sunday for the show?

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What a great class!  Lucky you!  And Pat from Teddies of Mt Holly is one of the very nicest of bear ladies, with one of the biggest and bestest of smiles!!  bear_original

puca bears puca bears

another huge fan of Art Rogers here! I absolutely adore his work - and he is SO nice..........
I traded a bear with him last year (VERY exciting) - and when the bear arrived, he had a little travelling companion....... Art assured me that Fadey didn't want to make the journey alone, so O'Riley hopped in the box too - how nice is that? bear_flower
huggies
Maria

Board footer