Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Hi everyone, I have an issue...My son who is 7 mo has been crawling ALOT for about 2 months and now he is trying to WALK. I know, I know...growing too fast!  bear_cry Well the issue I have is that I used to use pins to hold my bear together while I sew but yesterday he grabbed my container of pins and threw them on the floor. Searching for pins on my hands and knees is NOT fun, although I wanted to make sure that there were none in the rug and on the couch. I worry about his poor little feet and knees. So, now I am wondering if I should just baste first and then sew since the only needle that I would need would be in my hand. If I should baste, how do I do this and then do I take these stitches out before I turn or just leave them. I assume you cant see them anyway. So any help would be greatly appreciated!  bear_flower

K Pawz Guest

I use Aligator clips for basting and they work great , then I do an over cast stitch to hold everything, and then go back and do running back stitch to finish...., best of all they don't hurt when you step on them!!! I get mine at Michaels craft store but any large craft store should have them in their jewlry section.

Hope this helps
Hugs,
Krista

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Yep, I do the same, only I use 'paper clip's the big wide black ones that come from Office Supply.  Hey they even come in their own handy container too. 

As Krista said, even if you step on them, they won't hurt nearly as bad as pins would.

K Pawz Guest

OH yeah and the nice thing about something other than pins (thanks Debbie, never thought of paper clips) is that they don't distort the fabric the way that pins do, everything lays flat with no pin bulges or pulls.

Hugs,
Krista

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I always use the alligator clips now too as they are sooooo much easier and better for real fur especially.  I buy mine at a hardware store (Home Depot) in the electrical section. (I think they are used with  wiring somehow) .

alligator_clips_.jpeg

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

me too - although I get mine at Radio Shack or The Source or whatever their name is these days! They are great for any size bear.

Marion

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

OMG!!!!!!!! You are all the best!!!!!!!!! Thank you!  :dance: That helps sooo much!  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Here we go http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?lev … &An=browse   There's a link to the clips I use.  You fold the silver things back over the black thing, and it creates a fast 'clip'.    ....hmmm...that was technical jargon, wasn't it?  :crackup:

I have used the silver paper clips in the past as well, but if you shove them on too deep, the end of the wire can snag and create a hole in the fabric.  And I found (as I use real fur) some of the fur and hides were too thick for the paperclips proper, and would shoot off across the room.   bear_ermm   These black ones hang on very well, though, and come in different sizes.   bear_thumb

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire
DebbieD wrote:

Here we go http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?lev … &An=browse   There's a link to the clips I use.  You fold the silver things back over the black thing, and it creates a fast 'clip'.    ....hmmm...that was technical jargon, wasn't it?  :crackup:

I have used the silver paper clips in the past as well, but if you shove them on too deep, the end of the wire can snag and create a hole in the fabric.  And I found (as I use real fur) some of the fur and hides were too thick for the paperclips proper, and would shoot off across the room.   bear_ermm   These black ones hang on very well, though, and come in different sizes.   :thumbsup:

We call those clips BullDog clips in the UK  bear_original

Richy~

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Do each of you do an overcast stitch too? I usually just sew twice  :redface:  Ooopsss!

K Pawz Guest

I overcast and then do a running back stitch...hope this helps

Hugs,
Krista

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Perfect Krista! Thank you!  :hug:

Board footer