Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Is the cost to replace my entire air conditioning unit in my house. Currently it's 90 degrees INSIDE my house and the humidity is enough to make the bread sweat. I was hoping the unit could be fixed. But that's not the case this time. The unit is seven years old. Yes...a mere SEVEN years old. Our home was built in 2000. All warranties have expired. Needless to say, I am very cranky, sweaty, and uncreative. 

I guess on the flipside, we are getting one of the best A/C units that will be zoned for up and downstairs, have a humidity monitor and cut our monthly cooling bill in half. Which will be nice because we were paying close to $400 a month, which is ridiculous. And in Texas, you run your A/C 9 months out of the year.

So I just wanted to vent that I have to be sweaty for another 3 days and Amana A/C units suck.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA
doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yikes! That's a big bill. Now maybe I will be glad of the cooler weather here in the UK...but not the rain.

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh my ...if I had extra money I would help out ... I am so sorry !!! Stay cool some how. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

That's nasty !

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Jennifer.  That sounds really high!  Are they replacing all the duct-work too?  I know you live just outside of Austin, but are you on City of Austin power?  They have all kinds of programs with rebate incentives for installing new energy efficient heating/cooling units.  They also offer low or zero interest rates as well.  I had them come out and do an energy audit and got some really good tips from them on saving energy.

My house was built in 1982, and my cooling bill for this past month was $133.  (That was electric only, no trash, water, etc.)  Also, my house is single story, so that will make a little bit of a difference.

Working in the construction industry, I have to admit, I'd be the first one to get more than one estimate.  There are also lots of other things that can be done.  We added extra insulation to the attic, put in a programmable thermostat, and had solar shades installed over the windows.  During the day, I keep my blinds either closed or turned upward so that I can still get light in the house, but not full sun.  There is a ceiling fan in every room of the house except the bathrooms.  They run 24/7 year round.  We have vent in the attic and on the roof to help get rid of the hot air.

It's a bit late now, but the weather is supposedly cooling off here this week.  It is now supposed to be in the mid 80's, so that should help a bit.

Luann

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh Jennifer  :doh:   I'm so sorry!!!! bear_cry

Hugs,
Laura

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ouch is right!  What a hit to the wallet right before the holidays.

I do feel your pain, though.  You know how hot Chico gets, and you've seen my two-story entry area.  We had a two-month bill this last summer for a/c that was over $1000.  That's ouch, too! 

Hopefully your solution will keep you cooler AND keep your energy bills lower.  Maybe it's one of those things that hurts at the outset but feels better as time goes by. 

Good luck and I would do what LuAnn suggested and make sure you've got the best price for the best product, by shopping estimates.  But you're a smart gal.  I'm sure I don't have to remind you of that...

Stay cool, hun!

Board footer