Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Can anyone advise me on how to clean real fur.

I have an old fur coat which I am thinking of carving up even as I type...It's in excellent shape ...I think it's musquash ...very reddish brown in colour....I am not an expert on this kind of thing.

It seems a little greasy in places and I have no idea how to deal with this...I did read about sawdust and that sort of thing...I'd like to get in as fluffy and clean as possible before I attempt anything. The backing is good ...and so is the fur.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Jenny

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Tip: Fur Cleaning
To freshen up your real fur items, rub in cornmeal, then brush it out to remove grime. Unless you wear it daily, you should not have your fur cleaned more than once every two years. The process can be very damaging on the fur.

Saw this tip on a cleaning site. I also wondered if human hair dry shampoo would work to take the greasiness out. I am sure someone else can help but you could give it a go on a small section.

warwickshire uk
Website

You know what, Amanda, I was thinking that...about the dry shampoo....or talcum powder which is what we clean wigs and hairpieces with. It's not dirty...just a bit greasy in places...I could probably cut it and avoid those places...but it would be good to give it a nice clean start..

Thanks!!!

Jenny

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jenny,

I know I'm old and out of it, but......what's a musquash?  Oh....yeah I could Google it.....guess I'll have to.....  :/

bear_tongue

warwickshire uk
Website

Do you know what Dilu...I have no idea...I will find out and get back to you!!!

Jenny

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I was just thinking last night. Could you not take your fur coat to the dry cleaner??
Not sure myself as I've never owned a fur coat, but I thought it might work.
Never heard of a musquash either.  :/
Heather

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

What about 'baking soda' it deodorises as it cleans.......... :redface:

If I posted a pic of some fur I have , do you think maybe some one could possibly recognise it?

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Musquash is the British term for muskrat. It's beautiful soft dense fur from a semi-aquatic mammal. Like mink, but longer and with fewer guardhairs.

Sabine

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Jenny,

I've read elsewhere that this is a no-no, but it works for me!

After I've vacuumed and cornmealed and aired and revacuumed a fur, and it still isn't clean, I use a light spray of denatured alcohol (methyl hydrate). Spray on, wipe off. You could use a very gentle brush, if the fur is greasy right down to the pelt. The alcohol also removes any nasty or musty odors.

More forbidden yet, I've experimented with soaking small pieces of fur/pelt in alcohol. After the fur and pelt are dry (i.e., after the alcohol has evaporated), I lightly (very lightly) dress the pelt and fur with mink oil. You can speed the evaporation with a hair-dryer set on cool.

I think the prohibition against alcohol is that it removes moisture as it evaporates. The fear is that it will dry out your fur and your pelt. This hasn't happened to me. In fact, the fur is soft and glossy afterward, and the pelt shows no drying. My samples of several months ago are still soft and supple.

If you're in doubt, I'd at least talk to a furrier.

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I like the oatmeal and baking soda idea.  The best advice would be to ask a furrier.  A dry cleaner would not touch a fur coat.  A furrier would clean it but it would cost at leat $40 or more. :(

I never thought of Eileen's idea.  Sounds interesting...hhhmmmm

Also, Dryell (sp?) , you know,  those dryer sheets for dryclening in your dryer could help.  I know people who have used these to really freshen up fur coats and it has worked very well. I would be careful not to use a hot cycle though as it can damage the leather backing.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Good idea, Judi

Dryell on an air-only setting ought to do the job. I think the major danger is water, which someone said could separate the pelt from the fur.

If anyone wants to try the methyl-hydrate idea, please  :pray: try it first on a scrap, and judge for yourself.

Eileen

warwickshire uk
Website

I have an alcohol based hair refresher...which we sell in the salon...it's made by AVEDA ...who make all natural products...I am going to try the cornmeal ...and then the refresher...(I reckon it's a bit like Fabreze for your hair)  it might work.

Does anyone think diluted white vinegar would be a no-no...All the books seem to recommend it for cleaning just about anything...I might try a small section!

I'll keep you posted!!!

Oh, thanks everyone for your ' two penn'orth' as we say round here...I am so grateful...

And I am pleased to know about Musquash too!!!!

Jenny

Barecubs Bare Cub Designs
Website

I have taken fur coats, (mink and beaver) to the dry cleaners.. A good one will do it, or send it to someone who cleans leather etc. It is amazing, some don't even look dirty but when they come back they have life and feel fluffy again!

Board footer