Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I'm so tired of making bears... I can't get one bear to look nice, No matter how much I practise and no matter how much I read and try they all just turn into UFO's. I haven't even made 1! of my own patterns and they all look like.... Anyways, Do you think I've created another UFO or does he just need some work, Help me, please.

A very disheartened,
Richy~

IMGA0576.jpg

EDIT : Here is my "UFO" in the Showcase! http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=19956 Thank you everyone for your kind words and help!

ursidae Posts: 227

Try giving him or her a wee haircut.  You can cut off your nose and mouth and use some pliers to pluck the muzzle.  Sometimes that gives some definition to the face.  bear_original

I am a huge muzzle plucker  :redface:   I usually pluck all the way around the muzzle, basically all the bits that stick out from the face....not the face itself, just the snout.

Try it.  bear_original  Ya never know.

Also, you can try placing the ears in different positions:  high on top of the head, folded in half, low on the head, following the head seams etc

Look at the bears for sale and get some ideas for plucking and ear placement and then give it a try.  Little bits at a time.  It's easier to take more off than to correct an over pluck.

You can email me privately if you'd like some other ideas  bear_flower

Gina

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Your bear looks fine Richy-his face just looks like it needs a bit of a trim.Like Gina says study other peoples bears to see how they do it.The trimming can be an art in itself though and I am still learning.The best way to try to see your bears progress is to work in short mohair( similar to your avatar bear).Even though this might not be the look that you are after it will be a lot easier to see how your features are turning out on your bears and whether you are happy with this look.Any of the bears that you end up not finishing I would use these to experiment with and try out new techniques.I used to do this and it helps to think that the bear has had some use-before he ends up in the bin bear_sad .I hope this info is of some use to you bear_flower .There is many trial and error in making bears and when you have just started making bears you seem to have more error but hopefully this will improve over time.
Laurie :hug:

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Richy,

Come on now - don't get disheartened!  And NO, you haven't made a UFO!!  Poor bear! bear_cry 

EVERY bear looks a little funny at times when they are being created, especially when they haven't had their faces done, and have ears missing etc.  You just have to bring out the character and there are lots of ways to do it, you just need to experiment.  As Gina said, maybe clipping some of the mohair, a little at a time, from the muzzle area can help as it shows off the shape of the muzzle and also can show off the nose to a greater extent, helping to create the character of a bear.  The size and colour of the eyes can make a big difference too, as can the positioning and size of the ears.   

Believe me, I have had bears that I have been unhappy with, but with a little tweaking here and there, it is surprising how things can change.  The photos on my monitor are a little fuzzy so I cannot see your little bear too clearly, but it looks quite cute to me.  But if you are unhappy, keep cool, and just study it in a day or two.  Only make small adjustments to begin with until you are happy.  I am sure you will be delighted wih him very soon.

Good luck!

Marilyn

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Keep at it,  trimmimg can really bring out your bears character...

I have a particular bear I am re-doing at the moment....not happy with the head so am making her a new one.
When I have completed it I shall show you a before and after and I am sure you will get a big surprise on how different and better she will look.

I think she may even go into the post thats here "funny stories about bears"
Stay tuned..

Keep at he bear making, you will find your personal look that you are searching for...

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Richy,
I completely understand how you are feeling.  Making bears is a difficult art to master.  It takes a long time and lots of false starts before you finally create something you can be proud of.  I myself have given up many times.  Right now I have a bear in my head that I have started 3 times.  One tip I will give you though, to save you time and heartache - just work on the head to start with.  If you are happy with how the head looks when you have the nose and eyes and ears in place, then you can put in the effort to create the body.  If you are not happy with your head, then you will not have wasted the time making the body to go with him!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk
ConnieB wrote:

Richy,
I completely understand how you are feeling.  Making bears is a difficult art to master.  It takes a long time and lots of false starts before you finally create something you can be proud of.  I myself have given up many times.  Right now I have a bear in my head that I have started 3 times.  One tip I will give you though, to save you time and heartache - just work on the head to start with.  If you are happy with how the head looks when you have the nose and eyes and ears in place, then you can put in the effort to create the body.  If you are not happy with your head, then you will not have wasted the time making the body to go with him!

That is good advice Connie.I have been making bears for 3 years now and that is the only way I will work.I start with the head and only if I am happy with that will I cut out the rest of the bear as with all the trial and error that you do at the beginning of bear making you might find what fur won't suit a 9 inch bear might suit a 12 inch etc and at least if you are not happy with the head you can start again and haven't spent all that time sewing a body that is not going to get used.
Laurie :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Yes, I agree too, I ALWAYS make my bear's head first.   Right through to stuffing, trimming, sculpting, jointing and nose embroidery.   When I'm happy I carry on with the rest!!   Please don't give up, you'll get their in the end - promise!!   :hug:

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

That is a good tip!  I do the same thing, I get the head all done when I move on to the rest.  I place the eyes ears & everything before I worry about a body.  Sometimes all have the body pattern all cut out but I never put it together until the heads done.  I know how you feel, it can be very frustrating at times & I'm totaly new to bear making.  I've miss place the arms & legs on bears more times that I would like to count bear_original

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Honestly Richy.....   this is pretty normal.  I have had heads that resembled anything from llamas to crocodiles.... and anything in between. 

I also do my heads first and if they are not what I want...then I just move on to another head  ....    long before I waste time getting frustrated with body parts. 

bear_head___.jpg_001.jpg

a furry blob......

bear_head___.jpg_002.jpg

a furry blob still...but only about 3 seconds later after I added some test eyes and a larger test eye for his nose..... and it gives a whole new identity to the furry blob...

trim off some hair...add a nose and eyes and he will be a totally different bear.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

UFO...I had to search that one to see what it meant!

It's only a UFO (unfinished object ??) if you don't finish him/her!  There's a point with every bear where it could look off, odd, not right or even disheartening, but you just keep going and most times the finished piece really surprises you. An unworked bear head is the worst thing to look at sometimes! bear_grin    Trimming, sculpting, eyes, nose, & ears (bears like ears my friend  bear_happy ) will created a totally charming little bear.
The fur you pick out for each design and size will matter too.  You've got a plush (very nice looking) fur on a littler bear, so the limbs might not show the definition of your design like a shorter pile will.  This fur on slightly larger bear will look totally different.  Don't get discouraged or disheartened.  This is an art and a skill that you'll perfect with each bear you complete.  But give each one a chance and complete it, that's what will really help you in the long run. bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

http://www.freewebs.com/matildahuggingt … torial.htm
This link is to a tutorial on my website Richy. All you need is some clear guidence thats all. Is there noone near you that holds bearmaking workshops?   If any  craft fairs come near where you are. My advice is to GO. You will meet people that will be only tooo happy to help you. There is nothing like learning hands on.
I started making mini critters inorder to sharpen my sewing skills. I found there is nothing like a mini to show where you have been lazy.  So its a good place  to start. 4-5-6inch bears are the best. Its harder to develope bad habits.
And it isnt costly when faults accure.
There must be at least a $100,000 worth of free advice on this forum. We will turn you into a bear maker. It may not happen over night, but it will happen.  bear_thumb :dance:
WEndy

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Richy! At first in my avator I had "Trial and Error are my driving directions toward my creations" and this has been so,I have learned,burnt my self out reading,digging here and there, manly self-teaching . You! have to keep challenging yourself toward your goal. Leave a name out there for yourself.If others can do it you can too! Show the world your creations.

By all means, Please! Don't give up! for what you love to do. Your a creator! You have alot of potencial as a bear artist. Its always a lot easier to come down the ladder than to continue it." Don't give up" The challenge of not giving up brings to you eventually rewards of satisfaction in all you endeavors.

Your bear as I see him has character, I like him overall,his arms are special,his proportions are fine being a little one, is a tiny little cookie bear! trim a little in front of his face go slowly checking where else you want to trim,give him centimeters more on eyes,so these can show.Put more floss on his nose. and his small ears and you will feel better after you see him. You will have a smile in your face after you do this,and will think back "To think that I was giving up on you and almost dumped You!  bear_original As a bear companion you may e-mail me any time. If i can help I will try my best. There is a site you can go to for free tutoring its http:/monicasattictreasures.com.au/ you will learn in her site.  and remember you are not alone! :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Mary

Board footer