Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi,
    I've been reading some of my aunt's books and keep seeing the "crown joint" mentioned when talking about teddy bears. Does anyone know what that is?

JeannieB bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

This type of joint is refering to the way the cotter pin is turned.  I have never used this method but someone on here will be able to explain this method...keep tuned..

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Crown-diagram.jpgI drew you a little diagram because it's hard to have it make sense if you just describe it.  It's like trying to describe how to do a gusset with a pleat instead of a U, you just have to see it.

Anyway you bend the cotter pin in about a third of the way from the top, then you bend it out about 2/3 of the way down and it makes tension against itself when you bend it against the wooden circle.  It's actually quite effective if you can learn the right place to bend it to make it work every time.  It's the method I learned when I learned to make bears.

Kilde Posts: 186

I have never heard of a crown joint before (glad I didn't suggest "something you smoke"  :crackup: ) but I remember seeing the method described on another forum.

joint20instructions.jpg

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Kelly & Sandi, these are excellent tuts! Thx for posting. I've seen 'instructors' form them both ways: with the ends in the air and against the washer.

Most of the miniaturists that I know, feel that the curled-in-upon-themselves butterfly antennae are a stronger (longer lasting) hold. Of course it depends on the strength of wire that these pins are made from - and the mini use a thinner/weaker wire, but it has been known to have the crown joints become loose in use.

You can see from the diagrams that if a limb or other body part is bent back at just the right point of where one of the pin's legs are bent down. it could be pushed away from the washer where it's seated against, loosening the pressure against the washer.

When the pin's legs are curled down against the washer, the stems at the base are backed up against each other, giving backing strength to the whole curl; it's pretty hard to ease the legs back by lifting.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

I didn't expect so much good information...thanks everybody!
      Tina, you are so funny :crackup:  bear_whistle !!

Hugs,
              JeannieB

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Good topis, I never knew the name if this type of joint.    For some reason I thought it was the stronger of the two ways to do it.   Not sure where I might have heard that but it would have been many many years ago.     

Bobbie your explaination of why makes sense but I would think the same would apply to the curling method?    I think I will play around with the two and see how easy each one of them pulls a part.    Off to play with cotter pins....

Jeannie, good questions and thank you everyone else for the posts and pictures!

Duff

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Well, after playing with several cotter pin a disk, leather and a string of sinew, I am surprised as how hard each one was to loosen.  Go figure that it has happened with mini's I have done in the past but I had a hard time during the testing!   bear_angry Both loosened a bit but that was with much pulling.      I used a 1/2 inch disk and 1 inch thin cotter pin...

So, I think I will try the rolling down methond in the future and see how that goes!   

Duff

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I prefer cotter pins for the little ones, but have found if I don't roll ythem quite tightly after the little one is done the joints are too loose.

There are turners made just for cotter pins and some people like them....I can never make them work, but my honey says they are great.

I prefer needle nose pliers.

They are worth it, and Intercal has a great supply.

But

If you have arthrtitis or tend to have hand pain you may find that nuts and bolts are easier. especially on the larger kritters.

gollyhugs

dilu

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Thanks Dilu!   

Duff, your experiment sounds like it turned out OK.....don't forget to post and tell us how the next experiment goes!

:hug:
                   JeannieB bear_original

Board footer