Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

There are loads of things that I would love to try and it isn't so much because I am afraid that I won't be able to achieve what I set out to do.It is finding the time to try out all these new things.I only have a couple of bears left now and I am doing a bear fair in Ipswich on April 6th and it is hard to find the time to try out all these new things and still find enough time to make enough bears for the show and I feel guilty if I spend time playing about when I should really be getting on with bear making.I am getting a needle felting book after xmas and would love to have a go but it will probably take me a month just to pick up the book and read it. bear_ermm
As regards to all you fluffy fur fanatics I do like those sort of mohairs and do buy them from time to time but I find myself drawn to all the opposite mohairs which are tatty,short,curly etc but that is probably because making the old type bears are my favourite out of all the different types that I make and I also find that these ones are the hardest to part with.
Laurie :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hey, Miss-Event-Organizer! I just had a thought (look out, I do that sometimes  ) but I'm not as good as you at organizing. I belonged to a cloth doll guild and each year they held a "Doll Camp" (I know that there are other doll guilds which do this, too.) It is basically a long weekend away where different workshops are offered from "experts" in different areas of dollmaking. We had ours at a state park lodge and it was usually held where there were nice shops of interest near by. There were other fun things like swaps, themed dinners, and even a bonfire. Some clubs do a "rummage sale night" where folks can shop each others extra materials stashes.
Like a bear convention, but without  the show and sale part. Teddy Bear Camp---something to think about....

Tami - I'm waaaaay ahead of you on that one...... stay tuned for a 2009 retreat!  (shhhhhh.... don't tell anyone!) :crackup:  I might contact you to pick your brain for ideas! We can talk about it when you come out to teach me how to use my air brush!
bear_laugh

Shantell - been there and the longer you stay away from it, the harder it is to ever get back into it. I've taken the pressure off myself in those situations by not trying to do a new and different design. Rather I've actually gone and done a purchased pattern just for fun. I end up learning something new about pattern design when I use someone else's then feel more inspired to go back to 'my' bears. Also sometimes for me it's just been a matter of MAKING myself get out a piece of fur and and pattern... once I get started I get more into the process and by the time I'm finished I wondered why I hadn't gotten back to it sooner. The getting started is the hardest part! You'll do it...... I know you will! Oopa and Mutt are patiently awaiting another sibbling!
:hug:

Aleta - Thanks for the encouragement. It's getting the right air source without paying my right arm for it, and learning how to take apart and put back together the silly thing that intimidates the heck out of me at this point. And getting the right paint mixture.......... Judi had provided a lot of great info too but I've got this mind block... I can't get past it and that's not like me!

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

For me the biggest challenge is to get a more realistic look.  My bears are OK, their looks vary, can't seem to get a BIGGER foot though!  Would like them a little fatter.  But I make a lot of dogs and they all come out looking like a cartoon character.  Their cute, everyone that orders one just loves them, but I would like them to look a bit more "real".  I make small dogs and bears. average size is around 6" tall.  Some smaller and only a few bigger around the 10" tall size.  I have some air brush supplies but haven't been brave enough to try.  I did just recently redo the eyes on a few of my unsold dogs and bears.  I pulled out the shoebutton eyes and needle felted the area with white and a black rim and reattached the eyes, I really liked the look and will use it again.  I too have a desire to try a really big bear, just haven't attempt it yet. 
Good luck to all of you when you start on your new ventures, I hope to get some new stuff going after the holidays.  I have been knitting a lot for christmas presents, I need to get back to making sacrifices to the bear goddess.  That what my daughter would say everytime I stabbed myself with the needle.

If I hadn't named my bear business Hobart Bears I could easily have been Crooked Faces, as I only have made a few that didn't have a crooked face! 

Karen

katiescraftworks katiescraftworks

Have enjoyed reading this topic. What I would like to do is make a decent looking mini bear, an old fashioned looking one, like my bigger bears are. I really must give it a try.  I also want to design and make more clothing for my bears - old fashioned looking clothes.......................   I lack confidence as well as time.  Maybe it is time to come out of my comfort zone and instead of just thinking about it, actually do it.  ;0)

bear hugs, Cathie

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website
Sammybeardog wrote:

For me the biggest challenge is to get a more realistic look.  My bears are OK, their looks vary, can't seem to get a BIGGER foot though!  Would like them a little fatter.  But I make a lot of dogs and they all come out looking like a cartoon character.  Their cute, everyone that orders one just loves them, but I would like them to look a bit more "real".  I make small dogs and bears. average size is around 6" tall.

That's EXACTLY my problem. I make a lot of little dogs too and no matter what I do they come out "cute" and not realistic. This has been my problem since high school. I took an art course where we learning the lost wax process. One of my classmates went on to become a well known artist in the medium doing beautiful nude sculptures. Me -I made funny looking little dogs.
The double jointed neck is also something I would like to master. I tried it once-disaster! I haven't gotten the hang of an open mouth either.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I would like to make a jointed mohair and distress the crud out of it. I always drool over the bears I see on here that are made to look vintage. They are spectacular. I would love to try it. It would be scary to start ripping out fur.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have tried my hand at everything. I think? .
I'm so glad I'm not alone on this. The wanting to push myself further, knowing that there is more in me to give.
I want to be able to do the eyeline and eyelids. I have only had medioca success with these. I want to be able to do 'Shelli eyes' . Her eyes are so detailed that I look at them with envy.  bear_grin  :redface:
I still havent added airbrushing yet. I habitualy hang out at sites that sell air brushes and compressors, Dreaming of having my own one day....sigh......I also want to get into the needle sculpting. I do a little but want to know more so I can get more involved with it. Because I can see its potential in my work.
What I have just said probably sounds like gobbly goop. But now I have to go... Christmas awaits.......
"I have loved reading all your posts" :dance:
Wendy

puca bears puca bears

This thread is SO reassuring...................hurrah - I'm NOT the only one with an unused air brush set!!!! I bought mine months ago, had one little play with it, and lost my nerve........I keep telling myself I just need to find TIME to practice...........
It always seems to come down to TIME or lack of it - I'd love to make some realistic bears.......one of these days.......
huggies
Maria

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I think one of the things to bear in mind when using an airbrush, is to think ahead ... it's way too easy to get carried away with an airbrush, once you start spraying it's hard to resist adding more and more and more!  So, my suggestion is plan ahead ... know in advance what you want to achieve and then PUT THE GUN DOWN! bear_tongue  bear_grin

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Maybe we should have a challenge Ellen to come out of our comfort zone.I think it was Cathie of Katiescraftworks who mentioned it and also Paula on her blog.I would make a guess that it would be the challenge that will produce the most amount of swearing and designs in the bin :crackup:  :doh:  bear_angry

puca bears puca bears

Thanks for the words of advice, Paula and Ellen!!!!! I WILL try soon..................
And as for coming out of the comfort zone - I'm working on my first bear from Tissavel faux fur - and there ain't NO comfort cutting out pieces and trimming the seam allowances - very fine fibres flying everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

huggies
Maria

djbbears Queensland

I am just sitting here reading all and my list would go on forever, you lovely people inspire me to keep going as I have trouble with my noses and scared of the shading, maybe a lack of confindence on my behalf but I will keep trying.....but I am learning alot from you all bear_flower

Debbie

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

My mistake Ellen-I think it was Amanda of Pandy Potter bears who suggested the challenge.
I bet we would all be too embarrassed to show our bin pictures :redface:  bear_happy The challenge would need a long completion date to allow for all the binned bears and it would probably be the hardest challenge yet bear_whistle

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, I love the feel of Tissavel fur but I've decided that any dense, high quality synthetic is just a bear to work with and what is it about it all landing in our eyes???? I hate that. It's very dry here this time of year and the static in the air does NOT help the situation. I just finished a big (28") black bear from German synthetic and I've vacuumed 3 times already but still find black fur on me anytime I walk into my studio. Grrrr! bear_wacko

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I think my personal challenge would be a LARGE bear. I'm really freaked out by the thought of stuffing a head that I could fit my hand into...how weird is that?? bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Cheryl :redface:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Maybe we should have an 'out of the bin' show and tell...if we dare....Hmmm...Is that too scary a prospect?

Cheryl I feel the same about teeny bears..I feel this urge to do everything just that bit more...bigger eyes, thicker,longer fur, and with a little bear less is more...so HARD fo me to STOP!!!!!! bear_shocked

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

Its funny hearing everyone wants to trying airbrushing. I have a compressor and a airbrush. I us eto own a beauty salon back 7 years ago before my second daughter and I use to airbrush nails and tattoos. I would love to get it out and try it on my bears but my problem is want paints to use in it for fabric. I use copic pens on my bears of late but I am starting to go back to my pencils as i think less is more.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Wow!
I have such a different idea about furs! I started with mohair and I was driven crazy by the short stubble fur when I clipped. It was so sharp and really hurt when it got into body crevasses  bear_tongue  I started with synthetics and developed a system. As I cut I hold the piece over a trash bin and shake/brush-off the excess fur. Very clean. I only have to vacuum once a week and no more painful short mohair stubble clippings.
I guess my challenge this year is working with my eye sockets to get more expression. Should be fun  bear_rolleyes
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website

I would like to try working with recycled fur coats, have had a go a few years ago, but was put off by all the hand stitching. I love needle felting but have discovered that it is very hard on your hands and now I can feel a twinge in my elbow too, not a good sign....I'm not even 40 yet!!!!
I've been working on some new designs, more towards other critters rather than bears and I think the real fur may give them a different look altogether. I suppose you have to take the plunge and "just do it".
Everyone's comments has been very interesting to read so far, hope we get some more!!!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Yes, that's something I would love to try...real fur...but I bought a piece off ebay and it came and was really manky...so I need to get fixed with another old coat...it's getting hold of the fur though...not easy to get nice bits of old fur

Board footer