Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

teeeej Brisbane

I had been looking forward to my two weeks of this christmas, and it has been nice so far. Then this evening I get a call regarding work - we had been broken into. This is the third time this year, I am starting to get really sick of this. We are a fully functioning chemistry laboratory and have become a target for people running clandestine labs. All the information we received from the security guards was that they had caught someone and they had spilled a clear liquid on the floor. So I called my boss and organised to go in at 8 pm this evening. Considering the types of chemicals we keep I thought it best I make sure it wasnt something dangerous. Luckily it was only water... boy was I relieved.  However, I realised the thieves were stupid enough to pull apart something which contains a highly water sensitive compound - ie when exposed to water it causes fires! I almost freaked when I saw that and had to quickly inform the police that if the thieves had emptied the contents or spilt it onto the pool of water the whole building could have burnt down. Now in the proper hands these materials are perfectly safe, but yikes did that scare me knowing what could have happened.

Anyway the police made sure the thief knew that she came close to blowing herself up. And I hastily sealed the system so It would be safe until I get back to work in a week.  Honestly, I felt like laying the boot into her a few times for being so darn stupid. Lets hope our move to a new lab is pushed forward next year, I am sick of losing my work materials. bear_angry

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_angry  Grrrr!! Is right!!  I never cease to be amazed at how utterly stupid people can be around chemicals.  I hope the police scared her silly, and I hope the lesson sinks in. 

The lousiest part on all this 'war on drugs' is that it makes normal people who work with chemicals such a target. Hopefully your new place will be better secured, well away from these thieves.   :hug:

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

How rotten for you that you have to deal with all this stuff affecting your work.  I'm afraid that those desperate for ingredients for drugs are probably not thinking straight (if you know what I mean), when they plan these break ins and have no idea of the consequences.

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

Hope your Xmas holiday hasn't been ruined too much by such stupidity.
I also work in a chemical manufacturing plant so can sympathise with you - unfortunately people who haven't been trained in the safe use of chemicals are ignorant to their dangers.  I'm glad for you that this incident didn't evolve into a more serious one.  That stupid criminal could have actually been seriously burned and scarred for life (or worse) had they incorrectly handled that chemical, but probably doesn't realise it (not to mention the damage & loss to your employer's property).  Maybe their punishment should be to work in the burns unit of their local hospital for a while!
Bear Hugs for a wonderful New Year!  Enjoy!
Marg  bear_original

Board footer