Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi all,

I'm hoping my lovely, wonderful, kind and generous husband (I'm creeping here.... :rolleyes:....can you tell??  bear_whistle  ) will treat me to an airbrushing sysyem for Christmas. Sooooo, I've been trawling the internet (and ebay) for them but I have absolutely NO idea what I should be looking for in one! What size nozzles (is that what they're called??) should I look for? Any particular makes? Also, am I correct in thinking that the airbrush guns themselves are relatively inexpensive and that it is the compressor that is the more expensive part?

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?se … 1110015817

Oh, this is an EZ one! See the Library link above.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Badger is a good brand. Judy, who is truly the expert, recommends beginners starting with a single action, but I learned with a dual action (that is, you can control the amount of air flow and the amount of paint flow separately rather than both at once) and managed OK. I spent about $80 on my airbrush and I can't remember what the compressor and hose cost me. I was just thinking today as I airbrushed a bear's paws, that this is one tool I would not be able to do without now that I have been using it for so long. You can use it for shading, striping, and even antiquing--it's so versitile.

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

I have a badger also and LOVE it! I started with a single action because I am a clutz,  bear_tongue and then taught myself how to use the dual action which is fantastic. When I first started I wanted to make sure that I would like airbrushing before I bought an expensive one and I just used Propel before upgrading to a compressor. So that can be an option too before you jump right in. Good luck, hope you get what you want and I cant wait to see pics of your newly airbrushed babies!!!!! bear_thumb

jacky jacky
essex

hi iv just recived my dual action airbrush  im not sure about the paints that you use bear_sad . im new to teddy making.  im just making my first teddy and would love to shade the pads and eyes. bear_grin thanks to any one for there time to reply jacky

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Jacky,
Welcome to the wonderful world of airbrushing.  There are several airbrushes that are very good.  What brand do you have?  I went to school for airbrushing in 1983 (just out of high school) and became certified in 1984).  I learned on a single action Paasche H and to this day it as reliable as the day I got it.  There are many parts to an airbrush and I recommend that you start by taking your new tool apart and learning the function of each part.  This will help you to trouble shoot as with airbrushing half the battle is trouble-shooting for successful results.

I also use a dual action which I think are great but do require more practice to master.  As Tami mentioned it requires two (dual) actions for airbrushing - pressing down for air flow and pulling back for paint flow...whereas the single action mixes the paint and airflow with one press of a button.  Both types of airbrushes will give you the same results.  It really boils down to personal preference.  All three of my avatar creations are airbrushed with a dual action.

One thing I would steer clear from is the Propell cans of compressed air.  They last about 9 10 minutes and offer no pressure control.

There is quite a lot to learn for successful airbrushing and the key is lots and lots and lots of practice.  Bobbi posted some links on this subject.  Read them and if you ever have questions there is always lots of advice on this board. bear_thumb  Most of all ...have FUN!

I am typing with a five-year-old son wiggling in my lap.....it's a bit hard to concentrate.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

jacky jacky
essex

hi thanks for your reply can you tell me the best paints to use. iv lots of paints as im a doll painter and teacher  got to diamond in competition.  but teddy im lost   bear_whistle  just love them .i will practice practice and more practice. bear_rolleyes jacky

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Ooh, forgot to mention to you all that I got an airbrush (well, 2 actually) and a compressor for Christmas from my folks! I have a single and double action airbrush and a mini compressor that is SOOOO quiet compared to some I've heard.....I need to have a day to myself at some point to practice and gain the confidence in using it on my bears!

Board footer