Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

After many scopes, blood tests etc etc, I now have to go onto a very strict diet to get my colon sorted out. Some foods have to be cut out totally for 3 months, others for 6, and some maybe for life. This is to give my stomach time to heal.

For others who have health issues,  consider watching what you are eating, it is amazing to see just how many foods I am intolerant to. The blood results also showed my allergy to Penicillin and to Sulphur. I better did out my bracelet to wear for this allergy in case of emergencies.

I am going to have to look at a whole new eating pattern, as milk products, gluten, yeast are all a big no no.Something as silly as garlic and apples also showed a strong reaction.

Think of me eating my lettuce leaf morning noon and night  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

aaahhhhh but look at how many ways you can prepare that lettuce leaf. ...You can dice it up, shred it ,roll it  and you can even turn it into a soup. ............................ bear_grin
Puddled kissys to you Lynette :hug:
Wendy

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

Hi Lunette,
Soooo Sorry to hear that you have been ill. I also have to watch my diet for the rest of my life. They told me first off all that I had chrones disease and now they have found out that it is my gall bladder. So I can't eat any fat. No cheese, No pastys, No cream, No take away foods, No lamb, No Chips, No nothing that tastes nice. HaHa.Also no garlic or anything like cabbage and peas that can make you windy :doh:  But saying that I feel so much better sense I have cut out all this food.
You will get used to your new diet, although it will be hard at first. I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully you will start to feel much better soon. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Hang in there, like Wendy said there are loads of things you can do with a lettuce leaf :crackup:

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Poor you Lynette, I really feel for you. I had to go on an exclusion diet years ago and there are soooo many things that I can't eat but I got used to the way things have to be. It is more common than we would imagine, it does make it hard when going out though. Restaurants can be a nightmare, but if you can find a good restaurant where the staff don't mind telling you what has actually gone into the food....some things you would be amazed at...then you should still be able to enjoy nights  (or days) out having a meal with others. As for the good old lettuce leaf, well rabbits are full of life and look just how frisky they can be on the green stuff.  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Hmmm....I wonder if you can adapt chinese foods?  Your diet reminded me of so many of the dishes I get from my favorite chinese restaurants with no form of dairy.  And I'm sure you can make several of the dishes without sulpher.  Ooh, and maybe Indian foods will fit?? 

I know what a chore it is having to undertake a diet of any form, but I'm sure you'll feel loads better for it  :hug:    And yes, it would be a good idea to wear your allergy bracelet again  bear_thumb

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Lynette,
I have GERD (acid reflux) so I know how you feel about giving up food.  Actually lettuce/salad at dinner time is off the list for me because lettuce takes a long time to digest and can really make you have a bad reflux at night!  I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs and penicillin.  In fact, when I burned sulfur when I was in chemistry class, I had a terrible allergic reaction which included hives from head to toe!  It wasn't until it happened the second time that I realized, duh, hey maybe this is a "no no" for me...

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Chloe, looks like we would be a good pair together. Jane and Wendy this bright eyed bushy tailed wabbit is going to get you !!!!
And yes Lisa- it is surprising how many people have food problems and how diet can help.

I have been busy packing and preparing kits, notes signs, for a big craft show and need to get to the shops to get some food, so it was just lettuce leaves, cucumber and a tomato - but I can drink coke as diet drinks have aspartame in it.

Once I get my new recipe book I will get some recipes up would be interesting to see what is made from all these new funny foods- I have never eaten buckwheat- my Dr says it is horrid stuff and I am supposed to mix some kind of a flour with lentil peas to make muffins ?????????

Isn't life just fun  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Lynette

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Lynette I am sorry!!  It makes avoiding sugar sound like a breeze....

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Lynette,  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  Think of green as a fashion statement.  It's the color of our earth and the most soothing color on the eyes.   It's also the color of money ( some anyway).

What else can we say about green............  I suppose it can be tasty too, and just think of how healthy you'll be.  Oh, and on the bright side, your on the right side of the grass. bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_innocent

It is amazing to see how many people have food restrictions.  Mine is sugar...but sugar is overrated anyway.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

What a pain in the neck! We know all about food sensitivities, food allergies, acid reflux, IBS, side effects from medications that result in having to stay away from certain foods..... you name it! The special diets that all of my immediate family members are on is enough to make your head spin. It's a real challenge when we all get together for a meal!!! It's actaully easier to go OUT to eat in our case!

BUT.... none of us are wasting away..... we aren't all skin and bones and starving to death..... so surely we're finding something we can eat and enjoy!  bear_thumb  It IS an adjustment! But you'll feel soooo much better and be so much healthier!!

I like Judi's philosophy!!

:hug:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Lynette: that is tough news. My friend is on a glutton free diet but is saying she is feeling better. So the upside to this is your health. I really don't know what to say, for diets are never easy. I think there are cookbooks out there to make delicious gluten free meals though. I did a search on Amazon.com and found these.

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Gourm … 609&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Gourm … 609&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Quick … 609&sr=8-3

So hope you can find a 100 ways to prepare that delicious lettuse you are talking about.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Adjusting is hard. Good luck on this new regimen. I'd love to see some of your recipes.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Lynette,

I am so sorry for your health issues.  My housemate has a lot of your same diet restrictions which include celiac disease (no gluten).  I can highly recommend books by Bette Hagman (The Gluten Free Gourmet).   She not only has some wonderful recipe but easily explains the different types of flours used in place of wheat and how they work together.  It's not just one you have to use but a combination of several.  You many already know all that though.   I also ran across this blog...
The Gluten Free Girl  http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/ which has some really nice recipes as well.  She has a search function which makes it easy to find something if she has it (as she usually does).  She's chatty so you can usually just scroll down find a picture of the dish and then the recipe.   There are many others I could fill the whole page with.   bear_tongue

Once you find out what's really making you feel ill and eliminate it from your diet, I hope you feel much better.

Hugs,
Shantell

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thanks all for the diet guidelines - I will visit these sites and look out for the book. Once again TT come to the rescue.

Many thanks
Lynette

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Hi Lynette I am so sorry that you have these health problems. It is a daunting task at first, I have been put on a wheat and glutten free diet for medical reasons. It is supprising how much glutten free stuff there are in the shops. But it is all so supprising how many items have wheat in them, I had no idea until I started reading lables. Good luck Lynette :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Gosh, we had this discussion a year ago (celiac/gluten free) with Shantell, Catherine, Ilzé and a number of other ppl.

Most larger metro areas have grocery shops that carry the alternate 'flours'. Potato, tapioca, several different rices, etc. We found that my recipe and Shantell's for bread are almost exactly alike.

I posted pix of mine - mixing (beating/whipping) it, raising over warmth, in pans and as soon as it came out of the oven. It smells sooo good - DH and I devoured one of the mini loaves in 5 minutes. Ilzé said she made one of them in their breadmaker & she and Jacques had the strawberry jam ready as soon as it was done.

The Gluten-Free girl has a very good site (tho a book of hers we just ordered had only one bread in it - with sorghum flour and it was pretty awful, dry & gritty.)

Give me a little time to access the lists of my posts (That's one of the best TT features, to find all of your past posts! THX!!!) and I'll give you the url of that link.

BINGO! Found it: almost to the day, last 20 March. Look it over:

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=14561

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thanks Bobby- I will try the bread and then use the substitute for the yeast that Ilze mentions as yeast is also a no.

Most chemical substances are often reflected on product labels using an E code to the chemical substances
i.e. Sunset yellow -E110
MSG - E621

Would this be a worldwide coding system do you think ?

I would rather be working in my garden and making bears than cooking !!!!!!!!! that is hubb's department ( except for the cleaning up !!!!!!!!)

Lynette

teeeej Brisbane

I've got some form of gastric reflux which results in stomach aches. When I was first diagnosed I had to take multiple pills and give up alcohol, smokes (no loss there I don't drink or smoke) and chocolate for several months. It was hell to give up the chocolate. I found that my appetite died and I lost 8 kilos which I didn't mind. Luckily now it is under control with a medication that has little side effects so can be taken long term. I now cannot eat nearly as much as I used to and spicy foods are no no. I am still not supposed to eat chocolate but I can't totally give that up.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi teeej

I am still not supposed to eat chocolate but I can't totally give that up

Yep, you fit in here with the rest of us! Willing to accept just a bit of discomfort - for your 'comfort foods'!

Bear maker in training.... 2nd year apprentice... patience is still required

I love that! If you don't mind - I'm going to borrow that occasionally..

thx - bobbie

Board footer