Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi,

Since I've been making bears, I just can't for the life of me get nice tight seams! I have tried different stitch lengths and it just doesn't want to make tight seams! It is so frustrating when you have finished a bear wonderful, you stuff it and boom, stitches show. 

It just reminds me of a piece of clothing you put on that is way to small and the stitches all show. Not pretty!

Do you think, trimming the seams would help? I tried to trim a seam before on an 6" arm, took me over an hour and it wasn't even. I was sticking, push pins through the back of the fabric where i had drawn the seam allowance and cut against the pins. Is there an easier, quicker less complicated way? I know of allot of you trim your seams, Suggestions so welcome!

Oh also my machine is a Janome DC3050 Décor Computer. 

Here is the link : http://www.sewdevine.co.uk/product_info … 245146478d

Thank you so much for your help,

Richy~

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Richy,

I am one who does trim my seam allowances.  I do find I get nicer seams that way.  I also double stitch my seams. 

I bought a battery operated mustache trimmer to trim my seams with.  At first I had to go slowly to be sure I trimmed the right amount.... but after practice it goes much quicker.

teeeej Brisbane

I always use a reinforced straight stitch. It is also known as a triple stitch - it is much stronger then a normal straight stitch. I like to trim my seam allowances especially on longer or thicker mohairs as I find my sewing machine doesn't like going through really thick layers of fabric (broke a needle that way yikes!).

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Have you tried adjusting the tension on your machine?

I also trim the denser mohair.  I trim, sew first seam, pick any stray hairs out of the seam and re-stitch.

Doriane Neverland dolls & bears
Website

Double stitching is the best way to avoid this kind of problem.
You should try, you will be amazed by the result !   bear_happy

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I trim the seams..and do a double seam.. I don't do my stitches too tiny..I think it makes it worse.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Richie: I agree with Patty on this one. Check the tension of your machine. That was my problem when my stitches were showing.

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Richy
For mohair try using a stitch length of about 1.8.  If you are sewing a synthetic or plush fur you should trim your seams and increase your length to 2.  On very thick fur it is better to hand sew as the finish is much neater.  I do suggest using double seams on larger bears.

Another great hint is to zig zag your seams first, turn right side out and brush the fur out of the seams and the turn back and sew with a straight stitch using the edge of the zig zag as a guide. Also a new needle ever 8-10  hours of sewing also helps.

Shropshire

Thank you for the advice, Unfortunatly, It doesn't seem to make a difference.

This is a picture of a seam, just Folded in half, no streching, Obviously using white thread. It is double stitched using a 1.8 stitch.

Stitching.jpg

You guys say check the tension, How would I do that? I know how on an old machine but this is more electronic computerised. I have no Idea how and Lost my instructions.

Any more advice?

Thanks,

Richy~

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi there,

This could be due to a few problems but it certainly does look like the tension is the problem.  Maybe the tension on your bobbin is too loose i.e. affecting the lower thread, but I would first try checking and tightening the tension on the top thread.  You are really aiming for an equal tension on both threads.  If you bought your machine from a shop, then I am sure they would be able to help and advise you about how to adjust the tension.  Otherwise, perhaps contacting  Janome direct about the problem and they may even supply you with another instruction manual.

I know how frustrating it is when you can't get a machine to work as you want it to, so good luck.

Just edited - another thought, I have just seen that your machine has automatic tension on it (Janome website).  My machine is a different make to yours, but is also computerised.  I have a section that I can go in to to alter the manufacturers settings if I want to, to either make all tensions slighter tighter or looser.  Maybe the problem is that the manufacturer's settings are too loose for what you are needing, but can be adjusted.  I found this to be the case on my Bernina.  I do admit though that my dear old Frister Rossman, which was just a normal little old electric sewing machine, was much better and I could make seams as tight as I wanted. 

Marilyn

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

Yes, I agree definitely looks like a tension problem . Have  you tried sewing some plain fabric and seeing if you get the same results ? When your bobbin sits in its case you should be able to hold it by the thread and it shouldn't drop down .

Shropshire

Well, I have emailed Janome personally to see what they can do. For a machine that is ment to sew denim it should be sewing through mohair! 

So, I may get a response, some time, this side of the year.

Can anyone show me a close up picture of one of those seams, Preferably the nose/Chin seam as I guess they have the most strain put on them!

Thanks again, 

Richy~

Board footer