Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Is a VAT the same thing as a US resale number?
Thanks,
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Donna,
      Nope!  VAT is Value Added Tax like an extra "sales" tax.  Canadians have a similar tax called GST (Goods and Services tax) at 5% as well as 8% sales tax in Ontario.  I googled it and it says VAT in Britain is 17.5% on most items, but a few are as low as 5%. 
                                          hugs,

Brenda

Burbank, CA

Help!
I am thinking about doing some business with a company in Europe.  To get a wholesale account with them I need to give them my VAT.  So my US sales tax number will do me no good in Europe?
Thanks,
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Donna,
     Email them and explain that the U.S. doensn't have a VAT tax, so you don't have a number?  I don't know what elso to tell you.  Good luck.

hugs,

Brenda

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi Donna,
I see where you are coming from and you are on the right lines.  Your resale number enables you to claim back tax on goods you buy for your business, right?  In Europe, if you are registered for VAT you can do the same.  HOWEVER, does this company know that you are outside the European Union?  Make this clear to them because they don't need a VAT number from you and should NOT be charging you VAT in any case.  Perhaps they just have a standard reply format or something, which doesn't take into account customers from outside the EU... anyway, point out to them that you are outside the EU and therefore not liable for VAT, so they should just be charging you the cost of items without adding on any VAT.
Best wishes,
Christine

Burbank, CA

Thanks Christine,
That was what I had decided after doing some research on the internet.  But after trying to plug my way through customs and duties my head is swimming.  I wasn't trusting myself with what I was finding.
Thanks for coming to the rescue.  Now to just make them understand I don't need one.
Donna

Board footer