Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

Hi I am just woundering when you know you are ready to sell your bears. I have designed a couple of bears. One of my designs won public choich. I am totally addicted to bear making as everyone knows. 
My fur stash is growing at a fast rate.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I'd just go for it. If you are making good professional bears just give it a go. You learn as you go along. Try ebay for starters as it is so easy and there are not many costs. Post a picture I would love to see some of your bears.

Deb Upstate New York

Hi Tania ~

Welcome to Teddy Talk!  Yes, let's see some pics! 

I agree with Amanda.  Teddy making skills evolve.  Fortunately, it seems so do collectors collections!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

The first bear i made had a porcelain face it was white and made for xmas .I plucked up some courage and took it to a teddy bear shop, the lady said she would try and sell it but it was not her style .She liked old world stuff. anyway 7 years later she is one of my good friends and she has sold hundred of my bear from her small shop ,so Amanda just go for it its amazing what people will by Fran

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Hi Tania - fellow kiwi!!

Amanda is right just go for it!  Being a trader at a Bear Show is a great way to start as you get heaps of feedback from people.....the biggest dilemma though is pricing.

Mel

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Mel,

I heard somewhere that $10 per inch of height is a fair price to start with. Is this true?  :/

Eileen

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Add in the exchange rate to get NZ$ (and with a bit of variation for the fiddly stuff) and I think $10 per inch is pretty spot on - thanks Eileen  bear_thumb   

Mel

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

$10.00/inch is what I started with in 1997.  I'm now up to around $15.00/inch or a little more if I've needlesculpted toes, have pricey accessories (like a homemade quiltie), etc.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Interesting as I have to spend tomorrow pricing my 14 bears for my fair on Sat - yikes, where do I start?   It's really hard to price your own work.....

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh

I'm now up to around $15.00/inch or a little more

bear_laugh

Sue Ann,

I think you should at least double the figure!  :hug:

Eileen

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

however...if you make mini's don't go by the $10 per inch rule or you'll quickly go broke.  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

no way I'm selling my 1.5 inch creations for $15!!!!

People think making minis is cheap and it can be unless you use that flipping vintage mini fabric which goes for prices way beyond what I can afford by the time I convert it to new zealand dollers.

NancyLC Creative Threads
Bellingham Washington

Hi All,
I'm new here and this was pretty much the same question I have. I used to sell my bears at shows, but it seems like there aren't alot of shows anymore at least not here in the northwest. I did sell a few on ebay but had to bring my price down so much to even get people to look, so is there anyplace anyone can suggest for selling bears? I make mini's 21/2 to 5 inches tall I will try to get some pictures posted on here soon. I really enjoy making them but can't justify the cost of fabrics if I can't sell some. I would appreciate any suggestions, also does anyone have any bear selling experience on Etsy? Thanks for any responses.
                                                                                                                                                                                              Nancy

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

Hi Nancy!
I am in the same position you are with not many shows in my area. I really have to weigh the cost of travel and lodging when it comes to looking into out-of-state shows. The issue with the economy is a big factor as well. I have found the internet to be my best outlet for sales. Like Melanie Jayne, I have an Etsy shop. I have sold on eBay in the past with success but nothing recently. Another outlet you may like to try is Art Fire. They are fairly new but look very promising. Also, you may want to look into Teddy Patch. They are another online auction sight for teddy bears. If you spend some time looking you can find numerous sights to connect with to get your name out there. Good luck!
Hugs....Brenda

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

hi there i am in the same boat to. i am english and live in portugal and they are not into bears here, i did sell some bears at an english fair here in the summer and at christmas, but i have not sold anybears on the internet yet, i have 2 on etsy at the moment. did it take awhile for any of you long term bear makers to sell on your own sites etc?
i think when your new you are very critical of your work and to finally sell a bear gives you a real boost.
good luck & happy selling to everyone susan xxDSCF4493.jpg

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I started by selling to coworkers and friends of the family as well as to my own family when I started.  It was a real boost for those first sales....made me feel like I really was making the beautiful bears I thought  bear_wub   

Pricing is always a bugga bear, though.  And its not just for how much to price teddy... that goes for anything retail.  If you can find similar size/type bears to what you are doing, and see what ballpark they go for, it might be a place to start your pricing.  Do not forget to keep in mind your own costs for supplies at the least.  I didn't write everything down, but I did some mental maths to ensure I was making enough bears from the coats I was getting to make sure my hobby wasn't going to kick me out of house n home.   bear_flower

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

but I did some mental maths to ensure I was making enough bears from the coats I was getting to make sure my hobby wasn't going to kick me out of house n home.

Debbie, I am SOOo lucky to have both an understanding DH AND accountant! (She's also head of a GBW chapter/den and super collector, so she understands artists!)
I am what is used to offset our income (now retired and on that proverbial 'fixed' income.) I've only once in 19 years ever been In-The-Black; Accountant says that she knows darned few real artists who aren't operating in the red.... unless that's all that they focus on. I am in the lucky position of being able to operate as a Business but only work part-time.

My dream world would be to have more Income Than Expenses!

Board footer