Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Dana Stuffies by Dana
Washington State
Website

What's the best technique for adding a seam allowance on your pattern? This is where I seem to have the most problems when designing my patterns.  bear_sad It's driving me nuts!
Thanks!
Dana

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I was told by Armella Dana to just put my paper pattern in the sewing machine with out thread and stitch around all the pattern pieces.  You have an instant seam allowance that is the width of your presser foot.  I use the width of my pressure foot for all my seams.  It used to drive me nuts trying to add a perfect 1/4" seam allowance to my pattern parts.
Hope this helps!
Donna

Dana Stuffies by Dana
Washington State
Website

That's a GREAT idea! Thank you, Donna!   bear_thumb
Dana

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi,

What I use is a piece of equipment used by fashion designers called a , Graders set square. They are pretty expensive. Alternatively they sell similar things for quilting. They are clear plastic grids, You place the 1/4" line on your drawing line and draw against it. Very easy to use for sure. And if you need to add seam allowance of any size you can.

Do check your machine if you do use what Donna suggested. I know my edge of my foot edge is more then a 1/4".

Take care,

Richy~

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

to be honest I don't use a seam allowance on my patterns!  I have each piece actual size and draw around that, leaving enough room for a seam allowance on cutting it out... then I sew along the drawn line bear_original  Works for me!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

On the -3" minis I designed I never made an actual allowance for seams, as I'm one that sewed right along the edge, perhaps a hair over 1/16" in from the edge.

I just bagged a GREAT vintage seam allowance marker because the Seller didn't know what it is; it was under incorrect labeling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0226661134

Too bad it's not adjustable in widths, or that someone hasn't put out an adjustable tool like this.
Not sure about the other - the ONE image isn't clear enough: could be an old curling iron or some sort of needlework (punching through cloth like needle punched rug work) too.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Leave it to Bobbie our resident gadget girl to snap up something like that.  I bet your garage is just as full as ours with all kinds of stuff that we just had to have  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: .

big hugs  and congrats on the purchase

Shane

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LOL - no, the garage is filled with Gibson orphans—HIS, not mine. Gibson is an almost 100 yo electric company here in Chicago. Don worked his last 20+ years of a 45 year career (industrial/commercial/residential electrician) for one of Chicago's largest contractors: Gibson.
I'll never understand big companies: it's more cost-effective to toss the last bits of left-over products from most jobs than accept them back into inventory, add them into the next call for materials, etc.

So, savings person that Don is (and me as well, I must admit...) they've ended up in our garage. And I know that if he uses 10 pieces during the rest of his life, it will be a lot.

But last March I had another go at getting my workroom—1/3 of the basement—organized and I'm just about finishing it this March. I know where ALL of my Prized Collections are!!!!
I've been supplying 2 major bear lists with prizes, discarded-by-me but still, great goodies, from my stashes.
My criteria now is: does it fit into an EXISTING collection? or, does it go with a polar bears? !!!!

Thx for the good laugh Shane!

wilma Posts: 51

how about taping two markers together with a piece of material in between them to make the space wider or smaller?

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire
wilma wrote:

how about taping two markers together with a piece of material in between them to make the space wider or smaller?

Well Wilma, I know where I have been going wrong! Brilliant idea. 2 pens taped together is a quater inch my way! I know what i'll be using from now on!

Thanks again,

Richy~

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

bear_grin  bear_grin  Hey as long as I make you laugh Bobbie then I am doing something right :crackup:  :crackup: , 

big hugs

Shane

Board footer