Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Well, after my singer was gone. I thought I need a machine to make just bears... So I had a scout on ebay.

Today I just picked up a machine locally. It is a white, Singer Featherweight!!!! It is so small and pretty cute... It came with original box, feet and manuals. It was only £80/$150-60 such a bargin. 

It's going to take some getting used to, from a modern computerized to a 50's'ish not pushing a button for back stitch and weird ritual for winding up a bobbin machine!

I think it needs a service, the spring on the dial where you set tenison ddoesn'tseem to work and i'm a little scared of the electrics.

Anyone who has a Singer feather weight, can you please tell me, what setting you have it on? Stitch length , foot pressure etc etc

I will have to take some pics :photo: , now i've joined the "Singer Featherweight bear making club"  :crackup: 

Big hugs,

Richy~

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

O M G!!!  $150???? They are $300+ as a LOWEST price here.

You're in England, but I think you should give me a c all should you EVER see anything like this again!! No kidding - I'm serious. I'll e my phone number. and I NEVER give that out....

If you decide to sell PLEASE CAL ME FIRST! I called 'DIBS!" first
Bobbie

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I hope to make you feel better:  In Oregon singer Featherweights are going for 750-900 USD.

I got mine on ebay for 250 USD and have been quite happy.

On ebay in the same area as the sewing machines is a guy who will send you a basic manuel for basic fixes to the most common problems.  I highly reccomend you get it as it can be scarry dealing with a new machine. and believe it or not, most problems are things we can handle.

don't be afraid of it...its not rocket science....but if you think the electic cords are worn you should get them changed out or do it yourself.

Also don't use anything on the body or the decals can go awry, if yours has decals,  the same manuel that has taught me basic fixes also explains that the adhesive used is quite sensitive.  They didn't expect these little gems to last so long  and be so very popular, is my guess.

Congrats on getting a wonderful little machine....you'll love it when you get going on it.  And it will last you a lifetime no matter how young or old you are.

And white!  How very chic! bear_thumb

hugs
dilu

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Bobbie, have the prices gotten so bad on ebay?  I haven't looked in a couple of years.....

I had to laugh when you called dibs first!  You are so funny!  I bet that the prices on ebay will be dropping in the next 6 months-keep watching.

gollyhugs
dilu

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I sure hope so, though I haven't been watching them on eBay for a year or more.

I don't even really need one, as I use my 40 yo, then top of line, Huskvarna/Viking for only a spot of mending a coule of times a year, but it's to have for future generations, the recipients of all of my collections! What Tool Gal could be w/o a Featherwt??!!

My sis, in Los Gatos CA, got one about 6 years ago for $100 in a garage sale, selling the estate of an relative.
Pristine condition, case & all. She machine quilts and for true straight stitching, it can't be beat.

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Richy.  I'm fortunate enough to have two featherweights.  One is in need of a few minor repairs, but the other is used almost daily.  When I purchased the first one, I had the electrical cord replaced and had a new belt put on it.  Other than that, I've never had to do anything other than routine maintenance to it.  I cut a piece of felt that I put under the pressure foot when I'm finished sewing.  The felt piece is long enough to cover the little button on the left side.  I did this so that when I fold up the extension to put it back in the case, it the little button won't mar the extension.  I've seen a lot of these machines with a little wear mark on the extension from the button rubbing against it.  I always wipe my machine off with a soft cotton cloth and no cleaners of any kind.  I do use canned air to clean out the underneath where the bobbin is. 

I keep my stitch length at about 10 - 12 stitches per inch.  That seems to be just about right for every type of fabric and mohair I sew.  I never - ever fiddle with the bobbin tension on this machine.

The little book you got is invaluable (and hard to come by).  It has all the information you'll ever need.

Enjoy your new machine!  They are PRICEY here - going for hundreds of dollars!

Luann

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Wow, you guys are making me feel very lucky indeed!!  I picked up an old treadle Singer locally (I know, not quite the same thing as a featherweight!) - but it still has all it's feet, tools, and the original manual and is circa 1930, I think.  It was advertised for £25 and my husband knocked the guy down to £20 (yes, I was a tad embarrassed about that!).  At the moment we are using it to put the tv on, but if utility bills keep sky rocketing, I might have to wheel it out and use it to make bears! bear_grin
Christine

Board footer