Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Amoryllis Amoryllis Studios
Edmonton, Alberta
Website

Are they a good choice to use, or do the thread joints or plastic ones work better?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi,

It depends on the size and type of bear you are making.  For some minis - thread jointing works best.  My smallest mini is 3 3/4" though, so I use fiberboard joints in those.

All my larger bears I use either fiberboard or hardboard joints... whichever I have on hand.

Some people like the plastic joints in child safe bears in case they get wet. 

Hope that helps!

Edmonton, Alberta
Website

yesh. and Since I have your attention, how about keeping heads on? I'm having a little bit of problems with the heads on the much larger bears staying on ._. have we got a cure for this? bear_tongue

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

When I first started I had a few heads pop off larger bears with the plastic joints as they can slip.  Some plastic joints have better "grip or grooves" than others. 

If you use screws or cotterpins that  really can't  happen.  Then the  only way to "loose your head" is if the gathering stitches break on the head or neck opening.  Make sure to gather around the openings a few  times to prevent this.

Hope this helps.   bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I use nuts and bolts with wood discs for the large heads, and I buy extra long bolts at the hardware store.  took the discs in to check sizing.  Then after they are on as tight as I can make them I cut the bolt excess off.  It has the advantage, when cut off, of screwing up the threads so that there is no way the thing can ever unscrew itself----it may get loose, but its not going anywhere....I get all the hardware and discs from Intercal, in their economical large size quantity-except for the extra long bolts which, like I mentioned, come from the hardware store.

When i first started here 2 years ago I compared Intercal's pricing with the box stores and the local hardware store....Intercal had the costs beat down cold.  So I stick with Intercal.

You don't have to be strong to use a good quality bolt cutters, they have this leverage thing going for them.

best wishes

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You were reading my mind, Dilu! I was thinking I'd never be able to use bolt cutters!! Sounds like a job for super woman!!! bear_laugh

I have to agree... both US bear making suppliers are cheaper on joint hardware, even with shipping, than the local hardware stores and super stores!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I use the hardboard/fibreboard glued disks and cotter/T pins for smaller bears.  I also lost a few heads in the beginning and making sure your stitches are tight around the joint is key.  I usually go around twice just for reinforcement.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Tammy wrote:

......Then the  only way to "loose your head" is if the gathering stitches break on the head or neck opening.  Make sure to gather around the openings a few  times to prevent this.

For added strength, I also apply fray check all around the bolt (or cotterpin) after I have finished my stitching around the neck.

Rosie Posts: 9

Reading all this was interesting as I am thinking of making my next bear a jointed one. However, I am wondering about those hardwood discs mentioned. Do they ever break? And using cotter pins, I am just not sure how this all works out. Any more suggestions on how to do the joints would really be appreciated. Rosie (contact@greatinfotips.com/teddyblog)

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Rosie,
Here is a picture I took to show how to use the locknut & screws with hardboard disks.  They are very strong and would be hard to break.  You can replace the screw with a cotterpin and cullrthe ends of the pin like a snail on the inside of the arm/leg ,etc. (or curl like a crown joint -I'll look for a picture of that ) Hope this helps.

locknut_joint3.jpg

Edmonton, Alberta
Website
Tammy wrote:

Hi Rosie,
Here is a picture I took to show how to use the locknut & screws with hardboard disks.  They are very strong and would be hard to break.  You can replace the screw with a cotterpin and cullrthe ends of the pin like a snail on the inside of the arm/leg ,etc. (or curl like a crown joint -I'll look for a picture of that ) Hope this helps.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload5/locknut_joint3.jpg

oh wow. I love you . seriously. This is the image people should use in their books bear_tongue

Board footer