Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

I hope that this question isnt out of line but I was wondering if it is every possible to do co-ops? For instance, I cloth diaper my son and I make some of his diapers...well when I need fabric, snaps, whatever, I can usually find a co-op going on somewhere to get what I need for a smidge cheaper. Is it possible to do large co-ops for things like bear hardwear, eyes and even maybe mohair? If this question is totally out of line, I apologize...just please dont delete me!  bear_sad

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Firstly Welcome to TT Alexis, nice to have you on board.

I am going to respond to your post, as no-one else has, not sure if I can help at all, but here goes.

I don't think this is an odd question either, please don't feel bad bear_original 

I belong to a Co-op group where all artists have a different craft each, and we sell artist pieces, not small ideas in bulk for craft making purposes.   We would consider your question here in Australia as being similar to a craft market or flea market in Australia.  I to date have not come across anyone selling bear hardware etc and this type of thing, only wool for knitting and items for quilting.  Definitely a great idea,   I think you would have to pick your mark to find someone successful at selling at one of these where you have a good supply of bearmakers wanting to buy stock, people generally find their items at a true bear supply store online or a shop,  ebay has also been a source as well as trade shows.

Hope I answered your question.   bear_original

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. I just figured since we all buy mohair, eyes, joints, etc etc etc that maybe we could get a group together to buy mohair (for example) in large amounts to get the cheapest and best price. For example, on my own I cannot afford to buy 20 yards to get the lowest possible price but with a group of other bear artists buying together we could reach and surpass the 20 yards to get the best price. Then either the company can ship all of the fur to one place where it would be separated and mailed or the company could send everything to each individual. In the cloth diapering community it allows us to get the cheapest prices which gives us the opportunity to splurge on the better fabrics and components. Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post! I appreciate that so much!  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Alexis,
It is a good question.

There are a couple of bear makers near me (driving distance) and we have indeed ordered mohair in large quanity to get a better price and save on shipping. But only once in a while. Often when one of us needs something we NEED it NOW and can't wait for someone else to finally need something before placing an order. So combined orders don't happen often.

If you did this with people far away from you there would be one person who would have to receive the order then ship each person's out.... handle the money... etc. It becomes so time consuming. Not a big deal for the hobbyists.... but for the rest, time is money.

Both Intercal and Edinburgh Imports (the two major US suppliers of mohair) always have specials going on - sign up for their weekly web specials/weekly updates so you'll be in the know about sales.

And yes, ebay is another great resource... sometimes you can find some really good deals!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Yes, I see what you mean about the time issue. I tend to stash mohair even when I don't need it  bear_whistle and I thought other people might do the same. I understand about inspiration though and needing something asap. Thanks for the answer! I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I was just curious and I am glad that this question didn't get me into trouble!  bear_original

Board footer