Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

eWax Bears eWax-Bears
Bayswater, London

closeup.jpgHi All....

Firstly, I do apologize in advance for moaning but, I just don't have a talent in photography....

So a couple of days ago I asked about the colour of my new bear Oliver and you all agreed it was dark brown with light wisps....

I wasn't really happy with the pictures not just because of the colour of the fur but also, the shape of his head to his neck....It looked like his head was too big for his bodyand really it isn't and also that his legs were skinny and they are not it was all shadows....So today I took oliver outside in the sunshine, gave him a lolly and this is what I got....Can you believe no two pictures are the same?!  How is this?   I am using natural light?!

GASP...WITH FRUSTRATION....!  I'm never going to use Dark Brown again! Boo Hoo!!!!

ebay.jpg

Can you believe the last picture is the same bear as the sitting picture....They look completely different colours and yet I never moved the SUN!........Any advice?

Still I have put him up on eBay and just hope that everyone gets the gist that he is dark brown.

HUGS  :hug:  bear_wacko

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

Oh My Gosh! You might not want to use brown fur again but I think he is soooooo cute! bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

He really is adorable!

I don't even make dark colored bears anymore unless I'm taking them to a show to sell as photographing them is a nightmare! :doh:

If you are going to take outdoor pictures the best days are bright but overcast days. That sunlight will throw everything off. Likely your camera has a setting on it to detect and compensate for over/under exposure but I find it doesn't do what I want it to do and end up shutting it off. I don't know what that function is called so don't know how to tell you to look for it on your camera so hopefully someone else will know.

I'm no expert on photography so won't lend anymore advice but I empathize with your frustration!

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

ouch, that is a hard one to photo. I've had issues photo-in dark bears too. You need extra light and they usually end up a little over-exposed. Regardless, he is super cute and funny! I love the tongue! bear_tongue bear_tongue bear_tongue heehee. Very nice.

Hugs!
Melanie

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

What a wonderful bear !!! Photos can be crazy !!! And it is right , look for an overcast day or in the shade. But boy he is really cute !!

eWax Bears eWax-Bears
Bayswater, London

Oh that is so funny - We have had nothing but overcast/rainy  days in England for the past 4 months.....except today of course which, I thought would be the perfect setting for photos (got that wrong)....

It's nice to know I am not the only person that struggles with dark fur in photography.

I am really pleased the general opinion is that he is cute...at least that comes across....I have revised my eBay listing 3 times already - first I forgot the Lolly then I just couldn't bear (pardon the pun!) the fact that Oliver didn't portray his true colour and then I had to completely change ALL the photos as his head didn't look like it does it real life....I really am clueless as to how that happens.....

I have 4 bears on the go (one being a rabbit which I didn't get time to finish for easter) and I am really pleased to say none of them are brown!

I was working on china restoration project this week but got it finished at 3am this morning so tomorrow, I will be working on one of my unfinished creations.

Fingers crossed Oliver despite his colour differences will sell on eBay but, if he doesn't, there is always Portobello!

HUGS  :hug:

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I don't even try to photograph outside, shadows are hard to deal with.  In a couple of his pictures I think he is very well photographed.  He is adorable.  I always set up a chair and drape it, in front of my sliding glass door.  I seem to get the best color there.  I usually use a darker back drop too, even for the darker colors, maybe try that.
Joanne

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
Here's some info from my past ten weeks of study.... as much of it was devoted to photography.   

Digital cameras use reflected light from your subject to set proper exposure, and work on a principle that, although the overall photo is made of many colors, the AVERAGE of these colors will be 18% grey.  The computer in the camera works to make ALL photos average... or 18% grey.  Consequently, when using natural light,  and when you are photography a very white scene, it appears more grey than white. 

The opposite side of the coin is that when you are photographing a dark scene, (or a dark bear) with natural light,  it appears lighter than it actually is.  (More grey.)  Flash photography changes everything here, and causes ugly shadows to boot, so if at all possible, limit the flash, or don't use it at all.

The solution is to use the exposure compensation button that you'll see on most digital cameras.  For a very white scene, you would increase the exposure by 2-4 clicks ( +2 F Stops.)  For a very dark scene, you would underexpose by 2-4 clicks.  (-2 F stops)  If you don't know what an F stop is, don't worry, just increase by 2-4 clicks of the button. Try several photos using different amounts of compensation (clicks) to see which makes the better photo.  Don't forget to set the meter back to the middle, or 0 when you're done, or future photos will be off the mark color wise.

The exposure compensation button usually looks likes like a little button with a plus and a minus sign on it.  You can read the change in the exposure in your view finder.  Some cameras will also show the changes on your LCD screen on the back of the camera.

If you have a SLR camera, or a more advanced point and shoot, you may also have 'metering mode' choices. For dark subjects, choose center weighted or spot metering.    Each reads the light from a progressively smaller area in the center of the scene, thereby creating more natural color, and limiting that 18% grey cast.

Hope this helps some of you out!

PS... if photographing outside, the sun acts like Flash and causes shadows.  Photograph on an overcast day to eliminate most if not all of the shadows.
hugs,
nancy t

eWax Bears eWax-Bears
Bayswater, London

Wow.....That is an awful lot of information to take in.  Thank You..... I will chew on it and use it on my next finished project.  The sure thing is that we are going to have "overcast" weather within the next day or so at least I can take comfort in this!.....HUGS :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

My advice would be to try to use a less contrasty background...I noticed you used white. This isn't the ideal when photographing dark subjects...you could uses grey or brown...or something which is tonally similar...ie not necessarily the same colour but a similar depth. If you have a subject which differs greatly from your background your camera is stumped...unless you get into spot metering etc...
Your bear won't disappear into the background by the way!!

Daylight photography is about controlling the light and so I would try to use a light tent where you can.. it's fairly easy to rig one up..there may even be details in the library, here , about them.  Do aim for not so bright areas outside to shoot in, full sun is no good..I try to do my photography late afternoon, the light seems more mellow and the shadows easier to control . Sometimes indoors by a window works, I use silver foil to bounce the light back onto the side that's not nearest the window, so that both sides get evenly lit.

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

Well one thing's for sure the photos do show what a cute bear he is.  bear_wub

Regards

Lisa

eWax Bears eWax-Bears
Bayswater, London

Thank you Jenny,

I do have a light box but only use it for my china/porcelain restoration projects....It didn't occur to me to stick the bear in the box?!

I have taken better pictures with the box outside however, someone has bid on Oliver so I can't change the pictures (typical).  I can take comfort in that the picture of him sitting licking his lolly is probably true to his colour in home light and the rest are what he looks like in daylight.

Thanks for all the advice.... :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

You have my sympathies when it comes to dark bears and photography  bear_rolleyes   What fantastic information Nancy  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   Thank you for sharing it with us  :photo:

As for your little bear ~ that whole lollipop concept with his adorable little tongue is too cute!!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   Small wonder he's got a bid already.  I'm sure his new mommy or daddy will be tickled pink with him  bear_wub

eWax Bears eWax-Bears
Bayswater, London

I just wanted to thank everyone for their useful advice and information with regards to photographing fur and despite my problems with the photography side, Oliver sold and the purchaser who lives in USA was very happy with him....YIPEEEEEEEEE  :hug:  xx

Board footer