Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

As many of you know, I have my first show in August  bear_grin and because I'm such a slow worker, I have to store my bears for nearly 4 months before the big day, I have a whopping three bears ready so far and have them under cover, but I was just curious as to where everyone "puts" their bears as they wait for the big day??

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
I'm laughing because I don't usually START making bears for a show until 2-3 weeks before and am scrambling to finish all their noses the night before! So they are all over my studio, the dining room table, etc! I'm the worlds worst procrastinator! Or perhaps it's better to say I just work best under pressure!!

I guess, if I were efficient and organized and planned ahead as you are so good to be doing.... I'd likely sit them in those plastic storage boxes with a lid... not lying flat and all squashed but set in there gently and looking pretty. The week before the show they can all get consolidated and squished into one or two boxes (or however many) for transport to the show! They won't be that way long enough to need serious unsquishing, reshaping, fluffing and grooming the morning of the show.

You could also wrap them in tissue or bubble wrap as you make them and them put them in a box. This will keep them from getting too squashed and keep their hair in place for the most part. But see I'd be unwrapping them again before the show to play with my display set up and see how they all look together.

I highly recommend naming them and making their hang tags as you finish them.... don't wait until right before the show!

Australia

hey thats a great idea!!!  those plastic boxes that i have a surplus suply of lol, I'm all for containers hehe, I was watching Oprah the other day and saw that you guys have a store called "the container store" over there, heaven!!  LOL.  organisation  bear_wub  I have been worried about the dust and yup, containers will be great and probably be okay right the way to transporting since its a 40 min drive to the show and space won't be a hassle etc,  Thanks!  :hug:
and thanks for the heads up about the paper work....i was going to do the tags right at the end...that would be my night before rush haha and i can imagine running out of ink or something  bear_wacko

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Sarah,
     When I did shows, I only made minis.  I used to store them in tins as I finished them.  I tried to buy tins in different sizes so they would fit inside each other, and then I put my bears in the smallest tin inside.  It kept them dust free and easy to transport to the shows.

hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The Container Store..... OMG! That place is HEAVEN! I love storage stuff... boxes, drawers, etc. and they have the most awesome selection of wrapping paper at Christmas time and oh, gift boxes!!!! I get to go there once a year as there isn't one close by.... its a small but growing chain. But they have a website and catalogs!!! Not pratical for overseas purchases I suppose..... sorry, Sarah! But you'd be on cloud nine in that place!!

Think I'll pay their website a visit now.... see what trouble I can get into! bear_whistle

www.thecontainerstore.com

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

On the spare bed ..which I would then sort of set up like a table..........then take wrapped in bubble wrap in those big stripy bags on later in a wheelie suit case.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

All my bears ..even when I have 18 or so waiting for a show..always sit on my mantlepiece in the sitting room...or on top of the cupboard unit. I like to live with them for a while, that way I 'notice' if I have overlooked something, or someone else will at their peril!! Maybe that they have wonky ears, or eyes that look weird. Sometimes they sit for a week before I decide something needs to change. Ever since I started to make bears they have always lived with us in the sitting room till they go off to their new homes..I can't put them away..it wouldn't feel right!!  bear_wacko  Am I the only one that does this?

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Sarah and Jenny,
When making bears for the shop I supply, they also live with the family sat on drawers. It's bad enough haven't to pack them up to go to their new homes.
Love kayx.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Daphne wrote:

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
I'm laughing because I don't usually START making bears for a show until 2-3 weeks before and am scrambling to finish all their noses the night before! So they are all over my studio, the dining room table, etc! I'm the worlds worst procrastinator! Or perhaps it's better to say I just work best under pressure!

Hehe Boy that sounds familiar!  That is me all over....At least it saves the worry of storage though doesn't it Daphne bear_grin

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I like to live with them for a while, that way I 'notice' if I have overlooked something,Am I the only one that does this?

No Jenny you aren't alone, I do this also. I need to live with them for a time to make choices on accessories or change things or even pull them apart and start again. bear_grin

Now after listening to how you pack for a show, I am rather interested in how you pack them when they are sold?
I pop my wee babies into pretty cube shape box's .The same box's that I use to post them. So I naturally thought that to travel to a show packed in their box would be the best way to go. And then you still have their own personal box to travel to their new home in. Also that the buyer wouldn't have to worry about the new bear/critter getting grubby or damaged while browsing the fair. BUT this is just what I thought............??
Wendy

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

I haven't done any shows, but I do have bears on layaway and things like that, so i went to IKEA and bought some nice glass display cabinets.  They were under $100 each and have a light.  I love them, and I'm going to get a few more of them.  They are expensive everywhere else, but the IKEA ones are just right, and it looks great!

Australia

Great responses, thanks so much  bear_thumb
Daphne, we have a store here called cheap as chips..they sell all sorts of boxes and those little andbig plastic drawers and containers...all sorts of things...all quite, well, cheap lol.  The crazy thing is, and you can probaby understand my madness, is that I have an obsession with buying more and more boxes and containers to put my "stuff" in!  No matter how many I buy, there is always somthing new and pretty that I have to come away with, its crazy!!  I always find something to put in them so my studio is neatened up in the process hehe, and if not I can always buy something  bear_tongue 

Daphne and Karen...tsh tsh....you need to plan and prepare early!!  lol  You wait, I'll be so prepared and organised and sell nothing...or forget my bears...or something terrible LOL

Kay, Sandra, Jenny, yes, I like to look at my bears too...I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds it hard to stop fussing and looking to make sure everythings right...Don't laugh, but I hate the idea of locking them away for many months with no social contact...and the thought of air, breathing...poor babies lol.

MJ, me too, kids and dogs...and super protective!!  lol...don't touch!!  lol  I try to not be too offensive when its an adult lol, but you never know and you want your bears to be at their best.

Wendy and Brenda, I use pretty boxes too for mail, I'm using bags for the show, but it may be a good way to transport them....great idea...

Erin, we have IKEA here now, will have to check out the cabinets with the light, that sounds wonderful...it would solve all the needing to look at the bears whilst protecting them problems....

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Since I work with real fur, the bears either live out with me, or get placed into one of my cedar chests.  They also get a regular vaccumming when they live with me, and I can't resist playing with them, and mussing their fur around, smoothing out the cheeks, etc.

To transport to the one and only show I've done, I placed each into their own carrier bag.  Then when the bear sold, it went with its carrier bag.  Their little faces didn't get mushed, and the bear could 'breathe'.   bear_laugh

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

i went to IKEA and bought some nice glass display cabinets.  They were under $100 each and have a light.  I love them, and I'm going to get a few more of them.

I know exactly which cabinet you are talking about bear_grin I have been thinking about getting one to specially display my swap bears.  :dance:  :dance:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I'm with Jenny on this one - I can't bear to pack my bears away until I have to!  I can see them when I'm working and they're something of a motivator to me when I should be sewing...an omg I only have 4 bears sitting there kind of motivator  bear_grin

I agree with Daphne about doing tags and things as you go - that's what I'm trying to do this year, also with bigger pieces that need special packing, making sure I have the boxes and packing material for that now, rather than half an hour before I'm due to get on the plane.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm like Jenny, I like to see my show collection grow as I make them, so I always keep them on my workroom shelves as I work towards show day.

WW_workroom.jpg

showbears.jpg

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

I have mine sat around my work room till they find homes ...... I love being surrounded by bunnies and it keeps the enthusiasm up. When they travel they are wrapped in tissue paper so they don't get hurt.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

The Container Store..... OMG! That place is HEAVEN!

Heaven help ME!! I'm less than 2 miles from the Oak Brook store (suburban Chicago). I simply cannot get out of that store for under $100.
I NEED things that I didn't even know existed until I saw them.....

bearsbyTracey BearsbyTracey
Wellington, New Zealand

Oh I am laughing to myself. bear_grin
Daphne maybe it is a common trait with bear artist that we like container shopping!!!
My family are always having me on about my container obsessiion!!!

As I make all my mini bears by hand I have been sewing my show stock since the start of the year!!!
I sometimes wish I could make them on the sewing machine!!
My first show is at the end of may and I only have 24bears made!!!
I also have a show 2 weeks after that.

Anyway good luck with your show Sarah

HUgs
Tracey

Australia

Thanks so much again, great photos Paula, you girls are lucky to be able to display till you sell or show, I'm so slow I have to protect from the dust :0(  So containers or cabinets it is.  But they do stay out for a couple of weeks after they are made  bear_tongue  I can't help that hehe.
Thanks Tracey, wow 24 already  :clap: I'm aiming for 17 and hoping that will be enough with a mix of little and bigger bears  bear_grin

Board footer