Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

As you all know the announcement by ABC to retire has put a lot of us in a tailspin. I just got the folowing letter from ABC concerning the San Diego show. If we ever needed to band together as artists, it needs to be now.. before FRIDAY! If you ever considered doing this show, NOW is the time. I am afraid if the San Diego show goes away, it will be all downhill from there. San Diego has always been considered one of the TOP shows anywhere. If we all band together, we could really possibly turn this whole downswing around. Please read and pass this info on to every bear artist you know.

Sonya

Here is the letter

Dear Friends,

Connie and I have been inundated with phone calls from John Port regarding the San Diego show in August.  We truly do not want to give up the show, but found it necessary to withdraw because of the lack of response in signing up for the event.  We just could not go forward with so few vendors.  However, we have been back and forth on the phone with John and another facility at which to host the show (we would not continue at the Scottish Rite because of the dramatic increase in cost of rental) and there is a possibility that we will go forward with the event.  We will know by this Friday May 16th and will let you know the same day.  We hope that all of you who have already signed up will hang in there with us and you will encourage anyone you know that has planned on doing it but has not signed up to do so by this Friday.

We are so sorry to have put you all in this awkward situation.  We really do want to continue with the San Diego shows.  Connie and I have had many a tearful conversation before and since this decision was made.

Please let us know if you are willing to go ahead by this Friday. (The fees will remain the same $245 for a single table, $365 for two tables, $465 for 3 tables and $135 for 1/2 table).  The facility we would be using is right across the parking lot from the hotel we would be using and everyone is very familiar with both.

Thank you all for your continous support.

Warm regards,

Amber and Connie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Go John Paul!

Sonya, the note you posted seems to address only former/experienced vendors who've done this show in the past and are known to ABC.  Are Connie & Amber looking for NEW vendors, too, at this point?  Or are they only inquiring of prior vendors whether they'd be willing to sign on for this fall show?

I ask because there's no information for newcomers to go on in your post; no dates, no times, not even a location.  I happen to know this is in the San Diego area, but someone else might not.

Can you tell us more??  Can Connie and Amber?  Are shared tables allowed?  Please, more details.

Thanks!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Pssssst.  When exactly would this show take place in August?  I would love to do it....unfortunately there has always been a conflict in the past. 

Warmest hugs,
Aleta

Oops!  Shelli and I were posting at the same time.   :redface:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Looks like you could do half a table (in the pricing section of the letter). I loved going to the Linda Mullins show as a collector when I lived in California. What a wonderful event! It would be great to keep this show going, even in a new venue. If I could ever get bears made, I would love to do this show. Someday... bear_innocent

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bear_original  My story is more or less the same as Aleta's.  My kids come back from nearly an entire summer spent out of town with their dad and start school, all of which is a HUGE transition for our family, right around this show's dates, every year I've been in the industry.  So it's just too much for me to fly south with inventory and attend a weekend-long show.  Maybe there are some creative ways that people like me can be represented there, without having to attend?

I don't want to complicate things in a bad way.  Just trying to think creatively about how more vendors can get signed up and fairly represented, to maybe help out the show.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

New Avenue Crew wrote:

Looks like you could do half a table (in the pricing section of the letter).

True.  bear_original  But what about people who can't attend?  I can't reserve half a table I won't even be there to monitor and supervise!  I guess that's more my point.  Can that be done?  Are there rules against that?  Against one vendor representing more than one artist?

I've never done an ABC show and I don't have access to their materials and contracts right at the moment.  Help!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

The best info I can give is that the show was scheduled for August 9-10, 2008. I do not know the new location (it was previously held at the Scottish Rite center on Camino Del Rio South (to the east side of hotel circle)) I do NOT know the new location, but the hotels that they book rooms in is in the same area so I am assuming it will be within a block or two of the Hotel Circle area. I also am making the assumption that she means ALL ARTISTS who are interested to please contact by Friday. I am sure they do not have to make a positive commitment until it had been decided that the show will go on. So I am urging you, if you are even considering it, please contact ABC before Friday and they can give you exact details. Here is the contact info I have for them

abc.jpg

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA
Shelli wrote:
New Avenue Crew wrote:

Looks like you could do half a table (in the pricing section of the letter).

True.  bear_original  But what about people who can't attend?  I can't reserve half a table I won't even be there to monitor and supervise!  I guess that's more my point.  Can that be done?  Are there rules against that?  Against one vendor representing more than one artist?

I've never done an ABC show and I don't have access to their materials and contracts right at the moment.  Help!

Shelli
As far as I know there is nothing that says that one artist cannot represent more that one artist at thier table. Many do just that. I know that The Bruin Sisterhood do that at times.. (Donna, correct me if I am wrong). Also the bear scout (Felicia-(623) 236-8808)  represents many artists. Her email address is Imustwrite@aol.com

I am sure Connie or Amber will be happy to answer any questions. They have always been ready and willing to help over the phone.. Give them a call.
Sonya

PS Shelli, send me your email address and I will forward you a copy of the contract.... remeber tho.. this is the contract for the show as it WAS. I am sure Amber or Connie could answer your questions and would be more than happy to listen to your concerns and work with you.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I just now wrote them and asked if they might post some details here.  We'll see what happens!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Not sure if this event is still going on - But I would be willing to physically attend the show to sell other's bears - if that meant it helped this show going. I personally do not have bears to sell, but would sell my TT friends bears if there was a need. I know several other BIG collectors who would help me sell - maybe we could have several tables. PLEASE let me know...

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

I just got my check back with the contract unopened so I'm pretty sure that means the whole thing is off unless someone else comes up with a new plan!

Board footer