Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Hello everyone!  I thought I'd ask a few questions to get to know you all better and because I'm very nosy! bear_tongue  Hope that's ok!

How long have you been making bears?

What is your greatest achievement so far?

What is your favourite thing about bear making?

What is your favourite bear if you collect and/or make them?  (Can be your own or someone elses etc).

What other hobbies do you have?

Thanks to anyone who answers!  bear_flower

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Ooooo congrats on getting in the mag Christine, I just started buying it so unless you're in one of the last 2 issues I must have missed your article.

Thanks for replying so quickly!  Would love to see a pic of this scruffy bear of yours in his new jumper! bear_original

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Well this is a nice post.  A good way to get to know others.

I have been making bears for approx. 7 years.

I think my greatest achievement is probably not an achievement to most, but to me it is what it's all about.  I have made and given away bears several times to special people.   These are people who are less fortunate.  Example:  I sent a bear to a little girl in Peru who was having surgery to hopefully save her sight (the surgery was not a success).  The pictures were brought back to me of this girl with her bear.  The look on her face more than paid for this bear.  This little girl lives in a one room, dirt floor hut.  That bear is literally the only possession she has.

My favorite thing about bear making is watching the face take form and come to life.

My most favorite bear is a 1920's Petz bear that belonged to my dad when he was a baby.  There is a whole story behind this bear, but I won't bore you with it.

Besides bear making, I also paint, do gardening, and love to bake.  So I'm off now to finish the cinnamon rolls.

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

HI Gemma,

Glad you could join us here on tt  bear_flower  bear_flower

I've only been making bears for just under a year........I stared around June/July of 2007.

Like Christine my greatest achievement so far has been having my artist profile done in TBCI (current issue). It's such a fantastic feeling opening the pages of a glossy magazine and seeing photos of your bears staring up at you  bear_original

My favourite bit about bear making is definately the faces, I just love spending hours sculpting their little faces  bear_wub

As for my favourite bear.....that's a toughy!!!! The favourite bear I've made so far has been my avatar bear, Bobby but I really couldn't say who my favourite is I've collected...............they're all my favourites!!

Other hobbies.....I use to make jewellery which I quite enjoyed but I don't really have time for other hobbies between being a single mum, studying for a law degree at university, working part time and making bears (as well as spending too much time on this forum....lol)!! I really love making bears, I find it very relaxing and unwinding sitting at night sewing my bears  bear_original  bear_original

OK, that's me.....now it's your turn  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs
Janice

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website
millie wrote:

I think my greatest achievement is probably not an achievement to most, but to me it is what it's all about.  I have made and given away bears several times to special people.   These are people who are less fortunate.  Example:  I sent a bear to a little girl in Peru who was having surgery to hopefully save her sight (the surgery was not a success).  The pictures were brought back to me of this girl with her bear.  The look on her face more than paid for this bear.  This little girl lives in a one room, dirt floor hut.  That bear is literally the only possession she has.

It's awful that the operation didn't work but brilliant that you did that for her and others.  At least you know how valued your work is and that you're making a difference to people's lives.

Also, feel free to share those cinnamon rolls! bear_tongue

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Janice, I love your bears and visit your site to drool over them!  I definitely saw your article in the magazine, congrats to you too!  Bobby is adorable, I love his face and feet, in fact I have a thing about bear feet, your bears have very nice ones!  I hope to have one of your bears at some point, my finances are still recovering from that bunny I bought, lol.

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

Hi Gemma,

Here's my answers for your questions:

How long have you been making bears?
About 5.5 years.  LOL sometimes it seems like I've been making them forever and sometimes it feels like I'm just getting started.

What is your greatest achievement so far?
There's a multiple tie for this one.  First I'd say getting the Thread Artist Guild (for thread and fiber bear artists) started and running smoothly.  Each time the Guild has a highlight moment it's a personal joy for me.  I'd also have to add in there creating Mini Teddy Hugs (an online magazine for miniature/small bears and friends).  I really enjoy working on it every month.  Bearwise I think my greatest achievement is stepping out of what was then my comfort level and working with different types of threads and branching out into making sewn bears in addition to my crochet ones.

What is your favourite thing about bear making?
Without a doubt it's bear faces.  I love seeing how they turn out for each and every bear/animal I make.  It constantly amazes me how different each turns out from one another and how that turns every creation into an special individual.  2nd for this would be the social aspects with other bear artists.

What is your favourite bear if you collect and/or make them?
I have a small collection plus some of my own that I just couldn't bear to part with.  I'd have to say that whatever is the newest one is my favorite at the moment.  Then along comes another and it's the favorite...and so on and so on...they all get their fair turn being favorite!

What other hobbies do you have?
I don't like to call it 'other hobbies' because bearmaking to me is not a hobby, but a love of life.  Other things that I do for fun are minitures (dollhouse type), online games (roleplaying type) and I've been branching out in to working some with polymer clay.

This was a good way to get to know a bit about others.  Thanks!

/bearhugs,

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi nice to meet you, my name is Tami and I live in Aurora, Colorado, I have been designing my Fairy Doogle bears for over 2 years now. My greatest achievement so far was winning a TOBY Industry's Choice Award last year. I love fantasy so designing any fantasy theme with the Teddy Bear is a blast to me.
I love interior decorating, cooking, digital scrapbooking and spending time with hubby and our adorable westie "Tiffani"

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Hi Gemma,

I notice that you are another Yorkshire lass. I am from Brierley, only about 10 miles away from Wakefield.

I have been making bears since Autumn 2005.

My greatest achievement so far is helping to raise money for Sophie Lancaster's memorial bench in Whitby. I made a bear called Sophie to raffle there, and she helped to raise over £3000.

I love everything about making bears, it is so relaxing to sit and work on them after a full days work. As with most people, my favourite bit of making them is working on the face.

I don't really have a favourite bear, I like them all. I haven't started a collection yet, but I am going down to the fair at Stratford on Sunday, so I might treat myself to one.

I'm not sure if these count as hobbies, but I love spending time with my other half and my Bearded Dragon, Dino. I also go to Whitby Goth Weekend every year, so I get to dress up and wander around my favourite place for a week, usually having to stop every few minutes to have our photos taken.

Hugs,

Kat

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi Gemma (from another Gemma also born in 1982!!!!)

I have been making bears since January 2006 so nearly 2 1/2 years.

My greatest achievement is winning 3 British Bear Artist Awards (2 1st places and 1 2nd place).

My favourite thing about bear making is doing the face, stitching the nose in particular as it starts to come to 'life'.

My favourite bear I've made is Lottie in my avatar who won a British Bear Artist Award. My favourite bear in my collection is a beautiful panda by Christine Pike (also have another one of Christine's bears on the way....Parker who is on the preview page of her website!).

Other hobbies.....I used to have LOTS of other hobbies but the bears now take up all of my free time (which isn't very much when you have 2 young children!). I used to make silver jewellery which I would love to start again. I've dabbled in cross-stitch, card making, crochet, mosaics and making baby blankets (which i still do sometimes). I also love gardening.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Gemma!!

I think this is a wonderful post!  A great way to learn more about each other bear_original

How long have you been making bears?   Around 9 years or so?  I started doing them full time in February of 2002

What is your greatest achievement so far?  I would call it an honor rather than achievement... but I'd say my profile in TBCI and my cover on Teddy Bear & Friends.

What is your favourite thing about bear making?  I love every aspect of bear making!!  It just depends what part of the day it is bear_original  But yes, when that face comes to life - that's when I get that little flutter in my heart  bear_wub

What is your favourite bear?  That is really tough!!  On the bears I create... it's probably the one I just finished.  I did finally keep one of my own bears... or should I say bunny!  I keep her on a shelf in the bathroom and I love to see her every morning.  Of the artist bears I collect.... I love each and every one of them!  But I have a extra special place in my heart for Zebeddee -- created by Daphne (Back Road Bears)  I fell in love with him when I saw his picture and my hubby shocked me by buying him for my birthday!

What  hobbies do you have?  Photography, playing with websites, reading, attending our local Renaissance Faire in the summer.

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Thanks to everyone for the replies, it's been very interesting reading them!

Kat, it's great you made a bear to raise money for Sophie, that story really got to me as I used to be a full time goth when I was younger and still wear 'different' stuff now.  Velvet doesn't really do well in a house of shedding furries!  I've got a link to Sophie's MySpace on my Facebook to help spread the word about what happened to her. bear_sad   I also love Whitby, it's one of my favourite places!

You all make gorgeous bears!  bear_wub

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Greetings Gemma and all others.........fun to read about you and get to know you all a little.

How long have you been making bears? I made my first bear as a church project in 1995 or so. I stafrted 'EmBears in 2000

What is your greatest achievement so far? So far, the greatest achievement I acheived so far happened this week. My husbands bear won 3rd place, and my opossuum tank bag/purse won 1st place at Americade, the World's Largest Motorcycle rally held in Lake George, NY in early June. (I will post pictures in another post later)

What is your favourite thing about bear making? My favorite thing about bear making is that I am my OWN BOSS!!!!!   I love watching the bear (or other animal) come to life. Actually, probably my favorite thing is watching people at shows pick one of my bear 'skins' and stuff it and give it life.

What is your favourite bear if you collect and/or make them?  (Can be your own or someone elses etc). My favorite critter is the one I am holding at the time.............. :hug: 

What other hobbies do you have? I enjoy (but don't have time anymore) cross stitch. I play flute and Native American flute, and I direct our Church Choir. Camping, canoeing, reading......Motorcycle Riding!

Come on everyone.....let's see more replies!

pandamac

Board footer