Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I recently seem to have thing for old bears - I love the fact that they could probably tell a story or two if they could! I've decided that I'd love to own one of these little pieces of history.

My problem is, I'm not very good at identifying them! Below is a picture of a bear that I'm considering buying.

Can anyone tell me who made this bear?? Chad Valley perhaps? Although I don't think they had a chest tag....

A bit of info on the bear:

He is approx 10" tall and made of white mohair (at least that's what the lady has told me). He has worn rexine pads and orange plastic eyes (one of which is damaged). He's fully jointed. I asked if he was filled with woodwool and was told'no' so I'm assuming he's filled with kapok. The one thing which may help to identify him is the remnants of a tag on his chest which has red and blue on it. He has a squeaker and the lady thinks he is from the 60/70's.

Can anyone help me identify this little bear? Do you think he is worth buying? Thanks in advance!  bear_flower

bd11_1.jpg

East Sussex

Ok, I've been trawling the internet and I THINK he may be a Farnell. If you look at the 10th bear down on this page ( http://www.dmcginley.com/antique_&_coll … _bears.htm ) I think this bear is very very similar in size and look (a different colour obviously) and he once has a chest tag too!

So, a Farnell do you think?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Gemma.  My first guess was Chad Valley...he looks a lot like the ones in my Bear encyclopedia...but really I have no idea.  He is a charming little fellow though.

You could send his picture to TBF or TBR, can't remember which magazine, but one of them has an expert who can identify most vintage and antique bears.  You'll need to send in a hard copy photo.

I have two old bears that I have been meaning to have identified too....one of these days. bear_whistle

East Sussex

Thanks for replying Judi!  :hug: . I originally thought Chad valley but since I discovered the other bear in the link above, I'm really thinking he is a Farnell.....

Does anyone else have any ideas about the maker??

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I would have said Chad Valley as well Gemma. I can't open the link to check the Farnell bear but whatever he is a lovely bear.

East Sussex

Thanks Patsy  :hug:

This is the picture from the website link above and the description of the bear:

farnelll2.jpg

Very sweet little vintage Farnell bear circa 1950's, a lovely small size of 10 inches, fully jointed with nice thick coverage of mohair (excellent!), rexine pads (light wear but no holes) and the remains of his red and white Farnell label to his chest seam. He's in excellent clean condition for his years with just a few ever so minor and light play scuffs to the eyes, his squeaker even still works!!

Do you think they may be the same but just in a different colour?

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Gemma,

He looks like he's white in the picture and Farnell did make white mohair bears, around that time...I sold one a while back but he was a mix of nylon/mohair and looked a little different to your one.

Board footer