Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jynx Posts: 11

Hi! This is my first day at TT! I'm a teenager and thought miniature bear making would be a fun thing to do during the summer. So I was wondering, where do I start? What do I need? What's the best kind of fabric? etc. I need as much info as I can get!

I've looked at Sassy fabrics-there's so much to choose from! I was thinking about starting with Ultrasuede light, Europa suede, Long pile Cashmere, and micro plush. Are those good fabrics to start with? What else do I need to get?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

~Jynx

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Hi Jynx, welcome to TT  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
You can't go past Sassy Long pile for beginning your new hobby, it wont frey and is so easy to work with.
I suggest that you get a kit that includes the Sassy fabric, as you will have almost everything you will need in the Kit.
You will need to get some stuffing and a cotter pin turner.  Also matching thread and needles for sewing up your new little creation.
I am sure there are lots of kits on the Sassy website that are ideal for beginners.
Hope you have lot's of fun  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi there,
Welcome to Teddy talk - and a great new hobby!  Beware though, it is very addictive! bear_grin
All the fabrics you have cited would be good to work with - just be careful not to handle the long pile too much or you will flatten it.  Stephanie at Sassy Fabrics is really helpful and always responds quickly to any questions, so you can't go wrong, really. 

Have fun!!
Tiny bear hugs,
Christine

Jynx Posts: 11

Thanks Chris and Christine! You've both been very helpful! bear_original

TeddyB Posts: 83

Welcome to the family!!!!

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

hi & welcome :hug: .

.. A kit is a good way to start as Chris have suggested, but I would still recommending getting a good fray check for the closing seams part. i usually put it on the opening, it helps me protect my fabric even if it does not fray. Another thing is, sassy recommended the smokey long pile because that way, you only need to get one thread color, which is black because the base of the fabrics are black bear_grin .. you need to invest on a fine needle, since it's small, you dont have to have too many holes do you? And yes, some twisers (did i spell this right? bear_rolleyes ) or find a tool that your comfortable to work with to help turn your fabric inside out. Here in Taiwan, we use those chopsticks for turning and stuffing ! hahaha :dance: it's thin enough but it breaks after some time bear_laugh  good luck......

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Welcome to TT!! As mentioned above, buying a kit from Sassy's is the place to start. There are several good books on miniature bear making. Here are a couple you may want to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Enchanting-M … 989&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Dressing-M … 989&sr=1-2

As for tools, the books above will help guide you on this.

I also think that taking teddy bear making classes will help too. Nancy Tillberg has online classes. Though I think they are for big bears, it gives you and idea for construction and techniques you can apply to mini bears. Her book is fabulous as well. You can visit her website:

http://www.kranbearys.com/EbearZ/index.htm

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hiya. Great advice about the kits. I started with a kit, many years ago. Sassy long pile is fabulous and so easy to work with. I use the nylon thread she sells too. A pair of forceps (I got mine off ebay) are much needed to turn pieces easily. There are lots of things really, but just get started and go from there. We all learnt as we went along. Good luck!

teddymay Posts: 7

I started doing small crafts like from https://www.topsubscriptionboxes.co.uk/craftiosity/ then I started doing bears, its really good practice.

Board footer