Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

... this takes a fondness for "all things bear" just a smidge too far, methinks.  bear_tongue

Bear-Hair.jpg

More along these same lines, from the source, here:  http://www.uchu-country.com/works/hairhats.html

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

:crackup:  :crackup:  Very creative, but kinda strange!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

one word...

wow.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hmmmm.... sort of clever...but , in my opinion, absolutely horrible ..and kind of has a creepy feel about it. Can't see one of those making it into the Royal Enclosure at Ascot this week.. :crackup:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Exceptional work if you look at it in that context. As a hair piece?......ick, I don't particularly want it on my head. bear_grin

puca bears puca bears

Weird...but I do love the Afghan hound hat!
huggies
Maria

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan
pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I wonder if my hair is long enough to get it done.....maybe for the Teddy Bear show in Maine?

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: .....of course, it would have to be a Polar Bear!
pandamac

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Whoa.  That is so cool!  I would love to see it in person....hhmmm...or could it be photo-shopped?

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Ok ......I'm assuming hairpieces/wigs and artificial hair here. .....but they can't be really all that comfortable to wear .....and somehow it sort of has the look or feel of a dead animal on your head to me........sorry but I go all shivery up the spine.

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

I LOVE it!! I'd wear it, but then again, I'm weird!  lol
hugs,
Leeann Krikau
Busser Bears

Jynx Posts: 11

That must've taken a while to do! They're very well made...if not very, very weird...  bear_wacko I wonder how they reacted when they looked in the mirror! bear_shocked  bear_laugh  bear_grin  Besides the fact that they're made of hair they're really realistic-I wouldn't want that squirrel hair! You'd be enjoying a nice walk in a park (why you have squirrel hair, nobody knows) when a squirrel, thinking it's a real squirrel, attacks your head-ouch!  bear_shocked bear_innocent

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:crackup:  :crackup:   But really cool at the same time!   bear_thumb   No matter if it was Photoshop or hairpieces styled, someone out there has a HUGE imagination and that had to take hours to do.   :clap:

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

bear_grin hilarious..imagine if this took off as a trend!!
Kerrilyn

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

wow, I loved them all  - thanks for the link and the complete waste of my morning as I explored her website  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  I'm sure they are hairpieces, but what a clever idea.  she has a picture of herself wearing the elephant one at a party, but she doesn't explain much about them.  she seems to be a sort of combination model/concept artist.  her video with the exercising poodles is a riot.  her coffin cafe was fun, too, and the coffin waitress custumes were pretty clever, altohugh must have been hard on the customers.

I admit to have a rather macabre sense of humor, though, and I have quite a skull collection of my own, from a tiny bird to turtle, a grizzly and quite a few deer & a longhorn cow.  I have them hanging all around the house, along with a few taxidermy pieces I've picked up over the years, including a stuffed crow.  one day a 5-year-old friend I was babysitting asked me why I had these strange things hanging around the house, and I told him that when I was kid, my mom wouldn't let me keep anything fun, andI decided when I grew up, I was going to fill my whole house with all the things that I loved.  I thought he'd react with a 'wow' or a 'cool idea' but he looked at me carefully for a few beats and said

'yeah, well, everything you love is dead!'   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

out of the mouths of babes. . .

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

kellydean wrote:

I admit to have a rather macabre sense of humor, though, and I have quite a skull collection of my own, from a tiny bird to turtle, a grizzly and quite a few deer & a longhorn cow.  I have them hanging all around the house, along with a few taxidermy pieces I've picked up over the years, including a stuffed crow.  one day a 5-year-old friend I was babysitting asked me why I had these strange things hanging around the house, and I told him that when I was kid, my mom wouldn't let me keep anything fun, andI decided when I grew up, I was going to fill my whole house with all the things that I loved.  I thought he'd react with a 'wow' or a 'cool idea' but he looked at me carefully for a few beats and said

'yeah, well, everything you love is dead!'   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

out of the mouths of babes. . .

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Kids are so literal. 

Those 'DOs are cleverly creative, but (except for Leeann) who would want to wear their hair that way?  You'd have to spray the bejeebers out of it to get it to stay that way for very long.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kelly, I found a bird's foot the other day on my porch.  I think it is the barn cats leftovers.  Want it?  I could send it to you.

When I was growing up I had what I called my "Dead Collection".  It consisted of but was not limited to the following:

A flattened dried turtle.(found on road dead)
A pigs skull (which I completely cleaned myself)
A dried lizard ( this was a pet that had escaped and was found quite some time later)
A snake skin ( again, which I cleaned myself.  I found the snake dead already)
A toad skin ( this was from the lump I found inside the snake)
Racoon bones
A dried angle fish
A skunk skull( I also cleaned this myself from roadkill)
A gerbil tail
A shark jaw
A dried blowfish
Several dried seahorses
A rabbit tail

You see, when most girls my age were playing with Barbies I was playing in a swamp with toads, frogs, crayfish, brine shrimp and tad poles at various stages of development...oh...and collecting dead things that I found.  I was lucky that my parents let me keep these items as they were very interesting to me.  I never killed anything...to the contrary, I used to cry when my gold fish would die. I found these things in our yard, the woods, or by the road while walking our dog.

And you thought you knew me.
I love nature and all living things....I grew up fascinated with critters and had more pets, mostly lizards, turtles, newts,and that sort of thing, than I can count, growing up.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia
Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

oh my, that is a tad bit over the top isn't it!!  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:crackup: Wow--I thought I'd seen HAIR!!

Kelly and Judi, I admire your collecting passion. I  collect cool natural stuff for much the same reason that Kelly does--a neatfreak, ultrasqueamish mother. Which also explains why, when my kids wanted a lizard, they got it.

So far I've got 2 raccoon skulls (one slightly nibbled by my Border Collie, Bear) a bunch of beautiful bird nests, a bag of raccoon tummy fur  (pushed out of old nests}, a shed snakeskin, assorted evergreen cones and shells, horse-hoof trimmings, and a whole mess of feathers.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Eileen wrote:

So far I've got 2 raccoon skulls (one slightly nibbled by my Border Collie, Bear)

Eileen, I've loved you forever, but this makes you one of my favorite people on Earth.  You DO know how I feel about raccoons, don't you?   bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

PS  For people getting their shorts all in a bunch about the above comment, please... chizill.  I'd never wish harm on any animal; I'm a pound rescuer myself.  But hey; if an animal is going to be deceased, then in my opinion, it might as well be a raccoon, and if a dog chews on it, well, all the better.  Those masked bandits, cutely disguised, really ARE the spawn of the dark lord.  lol...

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I'm a bit of a "dead things" collector myself I have some very beautiful swallows skulls and wing bones that were retrieved from inside a wall we were rebuilding. There were some dessicated rats in there too, way way cool. I like moth wings and skeletonized leaves, Tassie's a great place for road kill, I had an American biologist visit a while back he was real keen to take back as many of our native animal's skulls as he could and we had found a Tassie Devil which he loved! I don't know how he went getting them into the US though. I don't know about hanging dead things on my walls, I'd find that a bit creepy, I tend to go for small and very delicate things, I love their fragility. I have the coolest dried frog, it kinda reminds me of an Egyptian mummy!

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

It puts a whole new light on the term "hat hair" bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Linda wrote:

Tassie's a great place for road kill

Bwahaha!  Now THERE's an advertising slogan:  Come visit Tasmania... a great place for road kill.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   

In seriousness, I'm not a collector of animal skulls, but they do absolutely fascinate me.  One of my favorite "DirtyJobs" episodes features a place where they clean bones for museums, collectors, anthropologist/zoologists/everything-ologists with some kind of beetle (name escaped me; dermestid??) and these horrid vats of sludge which basically melts any remaining flesh right off the bones.  The host said it was the worst smell he'd ever encountered, and this is a guy who's shoved his hand up a horse bum and cleaned a septic tank, from the inside!  So that's saying a lot.

How did we go from hair hats to horse butts and flesh dissolving?  Oh well.  What a fun thread!  Keep the bleechy goodness coming... bear_original

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

It looks a little like a wild boar instead of a bear. Not cute.

Board footer