Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi everyone. Could some of you lovely USA TTers tell me how much allowance you have when importing from the UK before you are hit by customs tax.

Also have I got it right that the EU (importing tax outside EU countries) is raising their limit at the end of december 08? Hope so as its way to low now. Sigh, just got hit on that one. bear_rolleyes

Thanks!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Oh, don't even tell about flamin custom tax!!!!!!

I ordered $45 (£22.50) worth of fabric from Sassy's a few weeks ago and I got a note through my door last Friday that said I had a parcel waiting at the Post Office which had a customs fee to pay. I went there and was stung with paying £12 ($24)!!!! How on EARTH do they justify charging that much?? I asked the man at the Post Office what the limit was and he said it was £18....so becuase the value of my purchases were £4.50 more than that, they chatged me £12 for the privilege.....go figure!!!  bear_angry

I'm lucky that I've never had this happen before but I am soooooo frustrated!! For a small order of supplies that should have cost me £22.50 has now cost me £34.50.....grrrrr....

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Amanda,
  Hmmm.......I don't recall paying a "fee" for any purchases I've made from EU. I must not be spending enough?  bear_grin    Shipping costs to the UK are high. 
     I am curious to see if anyone has more information on this. I want to buy the "Charlie Bear", Jorja.  I haven't been able to find one, yet.
        Hugs,
         JeannieB bear_original

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

I agree ...international shipping is a nightmare trying to remember everything...I've just posted a bear to Switzerland and my poor buyer had to pay £8.50 GBP to retreive it from customs.....all because I ticked 'other' on the customs label instead of 'gift' but I'm sure I read a thread a while ago about being 'honest' about the customs label...or was that just to US?........confused  bear_sad  Lynne

ps good to know the limit is £18 thanks Gemma....as I need to order more Sassy fabric!

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Hi Amanda .....I posted a while ago about "the most annoying thing that's ever happened" ( bear_angry  bear_angry )  which was a conversion rate
from dollars that led to Customs charges of £11.00 ......it was actually over the £18.00 limit by

3 pence

Boy oh boy , I was steaming that day !!!!!!! Aaaaahhhhhh !! don't remind me (I'll start stomping about !  :crackup:  :crackup: )
If marked as a "gift" I think the limit was £32 ish. Although some sellers have done this for me I'd never ask them to - I'd only tick gift outgoing if it really was one ! (too risky otherwise !)
Mini Hugs , Ruth

edit ; I forgot to say that only £3 was due to Customs (for 3p yeah right - easy money  bear_angry ) the £8 bit was post office charge to me for going and collecting my own parcel ??????!!!!)

moral : ensure your parcel total (ex P+P) is at least £1 under the limit !  bear_rolleyes )

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

My husband orders many expensive things from overseas  :crackup:   Last one was over $2000 and we didn't get ANY customs charges at all.

Staffordshire, UK

What I do know is that USA to UK the limit is £18 (but as Ruth says watch dollar conversions) but that does not have to include postage. If its a gift its £36 but that includes the postage. bear_wacko The if you do get caught up they charge duty on the whole lot including the postage!

Good old Gordon Brown, wants me start a small business.....he gets enough tax off me in alcohol duty!!! bear_whistle  bear_tongue bear_wacko

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Personally, when I order fabrics etc from outside the EU, I never go over about $34, so that it doesn't go over £18.  If you remember this then you shouldn't go wrong.
If you do go over this amount, you will be charged VAT at 17.5% on the full amount, not just the amount over the limit.  Royal Mail charges an £8 fee, and I think Parcel Force charges a £12 fee to collect this tax.
There is also an Import Duty which is charged when the item is worth over about £100.  I can't remember the exact details on this one, as it is a bit more comlplicated.

When sending bears to the USA, they shouldn't have to pay to receive the bear, as teddy bears are in their 0% import tax category.  Just make sure you clearly state on the Customs Label thatit is a teddy bear, and there shouldn't be a problem.

As long as you know these facts, you shouldn't be surprised if you get charged to receive your parcel.  We pay VAT on everything we buy within this country, so you just need to see prices abroad as not yet having VAT applied to them.  I will agree that the £8 or £12 fee is a real stinker, and is surely higher than it needs to be, but just accept that as being part of the cost for the item.

There are always those lucky people whose parcel slips through customs unnoticed, but I haven't been one of those people yet!! bear_tongue

Hope this helps!!! bear_thumb

Staffordshire, UK

Yep its not the seller's fault, but thats why I was wondering, so at least I could pre warn buyers. Saying that it looks like my bears won't reach the price where it matters!

Roll on december if the limits are going up.

I shall console myself with a glass of wine later and add a bit more to the tax coffers!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I had a new collector in England win one of my auctions a couple of weeks ago.  She paid $395US for the bear, chose the high shipping price for tracking & insurance of $56US.  THEN  she got customs fees of $152 !!!!  My heart sank when she told me the amount.  I couldn't believe it could be that much and told her to ask why.  I do state that buyers are responsible for customs fees, but I'm sure she will never buy from me again bear_sad

Board footer