Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

I browsed though several posts didn't see any answer to my question....
Please forgive me if it's been previously discussed.   I'm prepaing to N F't a nose on a  sewn 16 inch mohair bear.
I've read its best to stuff the nose with the same type of wool I'll be using for the  N F'ted nose.
Do I  completely finish the head, stuff & sculpt, add eyes,sew on  ears & close the seam THEN
N F the nose.. ?
Or is it best to finish the head & close after N F'ting the nose ?
How do y'all  N F'ting bear Artists  do this ?

Thanks,
Donna a

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Hi Donna,

I prefer to felt a nose after I've finished the rest of my bear's face but before I add the ears (ears are generally the last thing I do on a bear).  That way I make sure I like the proportions of the nose to the rest of the face.  I've always closed the head first too.  Hope this helps!   bear_thumb

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

My sloths are needlefelted as a flat face first, then sewn in, but my bears' muzzles are needlefelted after stuffing and jointing the head, but before attaching it- easier for me to work this way. I stuff with ordinary fluff, but my guess would be that you'd only stuff the area you're needle felting with wool bear_original you could try stuffing with ordinary wool too, if it's cheaper?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use polyfill to stuff the head,  I have never had a problem with the felting not grabbing on.  I just start with a small blob of wool that I stick on the nose area,  I felt it and it gets smaller and I add more.  When I first started I felted a shape on a foam block first and then moved it to the head, but I now prefer to felt, add, and felt some more.  When I am done I wax the nose, but that is a whole nother can of worms.  Any other questions I will help the best I can.

The needle felting and shading are the very last things I do when the bear is finished in every other way
Joanne

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I stuff with wool anyway I find it stays put better than Poly, especially with open mouthed designs, so the needle felting I've done has been into this wool (which is waste from a blanket factory, so isn't the same as the felting wool). I just think that wool into wool marries best, but isn't absolutely necessary, as Joanne says. Try it and see how you go, you'll probably find you'll be doing more than just the nose on future bears, it can become very addictive!  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Donna there are so many different ways to do it. All being correct. The idea is to find what suits you personally and the size and style of facial feature.  As Linda mentioned you are only thinking of a nose this time. It is most certain that it shall progress in the future.  bear_grin
I suggest that you make sketches of noses first and use a felt Template for your first nose. You could and this is what I do.... prefelt the nose before attaching. Every time that needle goes into the fabric it rips the backing fibres.
Because of this I like to do the 'grunt work' on the foam block and then finish it off on the face.
I always have my faces completed fully before I add the needle felting.
Dont forget to watch your fingers............
Wendy

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

Thank you for your answers, and advice.. Now I know just how to begin.
I'll post a photo when the bear is complete.
Thanks again.
Donna a

Board footer