Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

TTVioletback.jpgTTViolet.jpgCheck out her arms......she's like that all over now bear_cry
bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
The pile on the velvet of my latest PUDDLE seems to be rubbing away.  bear_cry  It didn't start to happen until her photo shoot. Here I was excited that I had finished her and she looks lovely (if I should say so myself) and I noticed a couple of odd patches on her and by the time I had finished she is so patchy I cant even contemplate handing her over to the Very eager collector who has been waiting for her.  bear_cry Now she's ruined bear_cry and I was so happy with her. I know its silly to cry buckets. It is after all just fabric...........sigh....... I'm not angry just really upset bear_cry
Oh well,' ya live 'in lern dontcha?' I won't be using this velvet again that's for sure.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Wendy, how sad, I can see that you have put a lot of great effort into making this sweet little Puddle and what a shame that the customer will have to wait for her new cutie. I looks like (don't let him hear me say this) that you could use his head and remake his body with a good velvet, so all may not be lost. Good luck with him anyway, he is fabulous.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

It must be so disappointing for you Wendy having completely finished her.When I first started making bears I bought some fur off a lady who made bears too but I don't know where it came from but I had finished the head and was stuffing it and I was so pleased to how it had turned out when I noticed that as I had been stuffing there were bald patches where the fur was rubbing away.I was so annoyed but for you to finish your puddle and the work that it takes  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
I learnt my lesson after that episode and I always work with schulte and now and then I use something else but I tug the fur a bit before I buy it to make sure it doesn't come out.
Laurie :hug:

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Is it hand-dyed mini bear velvet, by any chance?  Some kinds are flocked onto the backing and heat set.  If the plush is then dyed using hot water the fibres can lift away from the backing - I know, it happened to me once!! bear_sad

What an awful shame about your puddle!!
Christinex

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

How sad for you Wendy...AND B****Y FRUSTRATING I BET! He's such a cute little puddle too!
And I love the colour combination, it looks great!  bear_thumb

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Wendy I am so sorry!!!  How so very annoying - but thank goodness you caught it in time!

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Oh, how dissapointing, and sad!  bear_cry
Hope you can do like doodlebears said? It looks great tho! bear_original

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh that is so disappointing, Wendy. I've never heard of that happening with mini bear velvet but will sure watch my fabrics a lot more closely now after hearing about your experience. I do hope you can reuse the head - it is SO cute!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  It's an adorable Puddle anyway, Wendy.  I do hope you can salvage the head.  So sorry about the fabric.

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Oh Wendy!!! he is sooo darn cute, what a shame.
But, it gives him a much cuddled and loved look at the same time.
Oh the poor little puddle  bear_sad

russellbears Russell Bears
Perth
Website

Boy, that really sux, how frustrating for you, all that time and effort wasted, must make you feel a bit  bear_wacko

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

Oh that is so sad. especially when he is all finished and ready to go. I have had this happen to me once, only the other day, I went to start the face on my bear and the velvet on the muzzle just start to come off. Strange. I put him aside. Lucky He wasn't finished. That is just a huge downer.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_cry   But better you caught it before your Puddle landed in the hands of the collector  bear_sad    :hug:   I know how ungodly frustrating this is!  But take your time, let off some steam and try to salvage what you can  :hug:

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

bear_angry How rude of the fabric

teeeej Brisbane
greatwon2 wrote:

bear_angry How rude of the fabric

I agree bear_angry  bear_angry  Hopefully you can salvage the head - i love her flower hat and her hair.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Arghhhhhhh, f**** velvet!
Poor wee puddle!

Good luck trying to salvage him...

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

WA

Thankyou for the sympathy folks.  :hug:  :hug: It is  Most appreciated. Cheers. I'm still a little raw about it but will get over it. bear_grin
I knew if I posted it here you would come up with an answer. And though I'm sorry it has happened to others I am also glad because I was worried I may have been at fault. Duh  bear_grin   and.. as you have mentioned.... I was mighty lucky  she hadn't begun her journey.  Anyway, I'm not going to salvage her at least not at this point. I thought that I may (when time permits) make her a coat. I have some rabbit here so I might as well spoil her.
   I never thought about 'flocked velvet'. I have seen it on plastic toys but I never thought that it would or could be done with fabric. Ya live and learn aye? 
Oh yeah, I have already drawn up another pattern and have started sewing a new PUDDLE. bear_thumb
Wendy

staticbear76 Posts: 222

no worries i know how you feel im still trying to get my first one going i find one thing im looking for and then another thing goes wrong but ill never give up and never surrender i will keep at it by any chancce did the velvet get wet in the past or was by any moisture my mum said once dont get velvet wet or it would rub out like that but boy it is a beauty i sure like him i know you atre going to make an even better one your the best.

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Awe, well that just sucks! After all that work too.. why do these things not happen while cutting out??.
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Melanie

WA

why do these things not happen while cutting out??.

I am extremely careful to limited the amount of handling I do. I have a bad habit of totally mauling the fabric if I'm not careful.  So the way I work pretty much set me up for this to happen eventually.....sigh....

my mum said once dont get velvet wet or it would rub out like that

Chris when I read your Mums words I got this shiver down my back  bear_grin  YES! during the photoshoot I gave her a light wipe over to pick up the fluff I coudn't blow away.  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: It never even clued I was doing anything wrong :doh:
All the best with your bear making Chris. You'll get there eventually. bear_thumb
Wendy

Board footer