Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Hey all!  Once again I have had to contact poor Beatrix about Penelope bunny, this time someone has chewed her label...  My bears are now on top of our chest of drawers in our bedroom but although my foster kittens can't get up there (yet!!) my adult cats can.  So I've been searching the net for display cases but haven't found anything I can afford, I've also been looking up shelving systems as we live in a rented house and are not allowed to put shelves on the walls.  My question is how do you display your bears especially those of you who have cats?  I did a search on here but got carried away, I ended up looking at pictures of your Christmas trees which were very nice but I didn't get anywhere!!  Yes I know it's July... bear_laugh

Any guesses as to who is the culprit?
Captured_2008-7-6_00000.JPG
Captured_2008-6-18_00000.JPG

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have 4 cats and my 1 year old Siamese is the main problem.Luckily for me (so far!)he doesn't touch the bears that I have on my shelves but he still climbs onto them and sometimes knocks them off.The only solution I would think of is a display case as cats can get anywhere.If the cats only go after the labels maybe it would be better to take them off and put them somewhere safe.
As to who the culprit is they all look innocent to me bear_grin
Laurie :hug:

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Yes my Jupey is the one that purposely knocks things off and Fable is the one that is addicted to eating tape and plastic.  Yes they do look innocent, I wish they looked like that all the time ie asleep :P!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Hummmm, very annoying...
Our cat does not care about my bears and whould not play with them as they do not move on their own!
So i do not have this problem.
Couldn't you try to find some sorts of nice grids to attach to your shelves??? Just an idea...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My guess would be the orange and white cat - we have his evil twin, Thumper, and he is more than a rascal, he can be a brat!  I have all my bears in a curio cabinet as the result of him trying to bath a few, especially a lovely teddy by Francis Harper, that is vintage style and has shorter, distressed mohair.  Any time he could get near it, he would try and bath it from head to toe.

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Behind glass in a display cabinet?  You could still see the bears, but they would be protected.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

My kitty was also a lovable little terror.  We lost her a few years ago to old age.  But she'll always be with us in memory.  All we have to do is look at all the claw scratches she left behind, and our hearts smile.
I agree, a glass display would be the safest place for your bears.  But they aren't easy to find, and can be expensive.  I made one a while back.  I found an old framed window, with glass intact, and made a display box to fit the window.  It's easier than making the box first, then searching for a window to fit it.  It was easy to make, and I'm not much of a woodworker.   I now use it at my antiques shop, post kitty days. 
Just a thought. 
  Laura  bear_flower

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Thanks for the replies!  Wow Laura you must be talented to make bears and teach yourself how to make a cabinet!

I think I'm going to have to go for this:
cabinet.jpg
or this:
cabinet2.jpg

They're both from good old Argos, of course they have some fancier ones but they aren't in my price range  bear_sad .  So what do you think, the thin one of the wider one?  I don't have many bears yet so the thin one would be fine and would fit in the corner in our bedroom, the wider one is sturdier and has room for more bears later on.  My other worry is that the cats are going to jump on it and it'll collapse, they wont be allowed in the bedroom unsupervised but accidents can still happen.  Any thoughts?

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hi Gemma, I agree it was the one with ginger colour, they are the naughtiest, the ginger ones and full of mischief, my favorites though.  The cabinets are both good, I got one from Ikea similar to the slim one for my bears but I have seen people selling them on ebay, keep a watch out for one that is local to where you live and you can pick up to save delivery.  Just an idea.

Pauline

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Gemma,
     My cabinet is like the top slim one.  I have quite a few bears in it and it fits in our living room.  Our orange cat is a real climber and likes the top of the fridge etc, but has never, ever attempted to jump to the top of the cabinet and I'm not sure he could -it's very tall.

hugs,

Brenda

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Gemma
The cabinet I made was out of desperation.  I'd much prefer a "real" one.  bear_tongue
Both cabinets you show look like they'd work.  If you put the smaller one in a corner, it should be safe from your little rascals.  But I'd personally opt for the larger one, being sturdier and with room for an expanding teddy bear collection.
     Laura   bear_flower

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

The cabinet ideas with glass are the best. I have open shelves and does the dust collect in them. I have to watch the dogs they just love teddys to munch on. I cannot tell you how many ears I have had to remake.

Lynette

Board footer