Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

IMG_3001.jpgIMG_2273.jpgM072608_00_5321_2.jpgIMG_2901.jpgIMG_3008.jpgM072608_00_5326_2.jpgIMG_2994.jpgHi everyone.  I just have to share these pictures with you.  We just returned from a whirlwind-of-a-vacation on the Disney Cruise Ship "Wonder".  We sailed to the Bahamas to  a private Disney owned island called Castaway Cay.  Before that we went to Discovery Cove to swim with Dolphins.

Our Dolphin was called Roxie.

Under Human care a dolphin cam live into their 40's.  In the wild they can live p to their mid 20's

This vacation and experience is hard to put into words.  Amazing would not do it justice. We took over 1,000 photos( I originally thought I took 800 until I downloaded them all las night) and had over 30 professional pictures taken.

I'll just post a few and will have the rest on my blog sometime next week.  I still need to unpack and catch my breath....but for now I really wanted to share these few pictures.

AFTER READING THROUGH our text filled photo album that we got from The Dolphin Encounter in the Bahamas I thought it would be a nice idea to add a valuable piece of information that applies to ALL wildlife...especially since there are so many animal lovers out there.  This is a direct quote from the Dolphin Encounter Program:

"Keep the Wild in Wildlife:
Help Protect Marine Mammals In The Wild by Staying An Observer.

Viewing wildlife in it's natural habitat can be a wonderful and educational experience.  Although tempting to try to get close enough to interact with animals, it's important to remember that their behavior can be unpredictable and aggressive.  Thus, it's always best to view all wildlife from a safe and respectful distance, remembering that wild animals are just that-wild.

It's also tempting to feed a wild animal. It seems like such an innocent and harmless thing. But feeding wild animals can have deadly consequences fro them and can place people in real danger.  In many cases, it's the animals who get hurt the most by approaching people or eating food or even trash that makes them sick.  That's why feeding wildlife in national parks and refuges is illegal.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act specifically address marine mammal issue and protects these animals by making it illegal to feed, pursue, or chase them in U.S. waters.  In many states, feeding certain wild animals is punishable by fines and/or imprisonment.  In the Bahamas, the Wild Animals Protection Act prohibits the same activities.

[b]Watchable Wildlife Guidelines:

- Keep your distance: try to remain a safe and respectful distance of 100 yards from animals.

-If animals are swimming across the path of your boat, slow or stop to allow them to pass safely.

-If animlas are swimming along with your boat, keep a constant speed and direction.

-If on land, observe animals like sea lions on a beach without alerting them to your presence.

-Resist the temptation to "save" animals, especailly orphans - "mom" is usually near by.

- Limit time spent observing animlas - you may not be the only out there watching.

- Keep pets on a leash or leave them at home.

-Stay clear of mothers with young.

-Never surround an animal.

-Put trash in its place & don't litter.

AND MOST OF ALL...Don't feed wild animals!  Your actions as a responsible observer in the wild will promote animals to pursue food and behaviors that are healthy for them.  Because of you, there will be more marine mammals in the future for all of us to enjoy seeing!"

I thought this was really good and worth sharing. bear_wub

puca bears puca bears

You've done it again, Judi...........first the tiger cubs, and now that fabulous dolphin................
JEALOUS huggies
Maria
p.s. - what a great holiday!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Maria.  Thanks.  It was an amazing trip and one that will be hard to top.  I need to lay low for a while and recover financially from this one.  It was worth it though.  I had better get busy making bears. bear_original

Now I dread the unpacking.....and then packing again.......Next weekend we are off on our family reunion on the coast of South Carolina for four days.  This summer has flown by.

Where has everyone been this summer?  Any pictures to share.  As bear artists we all need some R and R.  Right?  Would love to see pictures.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Such beautiful photos on your family holiday Judi
bear_flower
Thanks for sharing.

I loved seeing you with the dolphins - aren't dolphins the most amazing creatures.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Just wonderful photos Judi, and your children will remember these moments forever.  My daughter did a "swim with the dolphins" at SeaWorld in Queensland Australia a few years ago, and even though it was really expensive, I would never have traded those memories for anything.  She still talks about it all the time.  That close connection with these beautiful, large gentle creatures is such a joy and and special moment, it forms a tender part of your soul.

Going on a Disney cruise must have just been the "ultimate" for your children.  My little one will want you to adopt her!!!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Judi.. was that fun or what? Mike and I went on a mexican cruise and went swimming with the dolphins in Alcupolca.. looks like you had a great time!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow Judi, can you adopt me please, I want to come on holiday with you next time. What wonderful experiences you are giving your children. The pictures are great, thanks so much for sharing. It looks such a wonderful holiday, you all look soooo happy.  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

IMG_2931.jpg

BootButtonBears wrote:

That close connection with these beautiful, large gentle creatures is such a joy and and special moment, it forms a tender part of your soul.

Going on a Disney cruise must have just been the "ultimate" for your children.  !

You're absolutely right.  An experience like this touches the soul.  To look into the eyes of such an intelligent and gentle being is beyond words.  This has been a dream of mine since I was a young girl.

I am the biggest Disney freak in our family.  Our kids started to groan a bit every time I rushed to egt in line for another character photo.  I just could not get enough.  I grew up the daughter of a big BIG Disney fan...my dad, so I have a strong emotional attachment to all the characters.  He was offered the job of General Manager of EPCOT when I was about 14 years old.  He did not take the job but we did visit Disney World a few times.  Nothing beats the cruise, though, in my opinion.  Disney knows how to satisfy and impress......200%.

If anyonw ever has a chance to do a dolphin encounter I highly recommend it.  My son, Joey, said he was "not going to touch the dolphin".....and ended up loving it all....his favorite part was the dolphin hug.

Board footer