Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I love your bears, Edie, and if extra money for luxury spending weren't so tight I'd have added one to my own small and very selective collection myself.  I'd be willing to bet lots of people feel that same way, hun.  Do try not to let it get to you when the market is slow or seems to be looking elsewhere.  Your work is so precious and well made it simply has to be nothing more "meaningful" than timing.

I'm really glad to hear things are on an up-turn.  Psychologically, that's gotta be nothing short of wonderful.   bear_flower

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Good for you! As an artist you really can't take slow sales personally.

We've all experienced "no sales" and "slow sales".... it ebbs and flows.

Persistence!
Hang in there...
Kathy

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Edie, Hi.. I just wanted to say that it is NOT your bears. I am convinced it is the economy. It's not that it is slow in the summer... or too close to Christmas, or too close to tax time.. it has been like this for the last 2 years and I see no end in site. I am still making bears and going to shows and losing more money than ever... but feel as long as I have a mohair stash, I keep making them. Just when I am about to quit, I get a few custom orders and that keeps me going. I have to say though, that I don't seem to feel the same enthusiasm and I am sad about that. I am thrilled when I get a custom order because I know THAT COLLECTOR likes my bears or they wouldn't have asked. I really hesitate to list on ebay much because I am losing so much money in listing fees. I just try to keep my chin up and pray that after the election, the economy will improve.

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Edie,

I don't list on ebay any more.  My bears either didn't sell at all or went for a really low price - it does become very discouraging and disappointing.

I have now switched to selling my bears exclusively off my own website and the difference has been amazing, my bears have been selling so much better.  As long as you get the word out and advertise your new arrivals - I think it's the way to go and no listing fees to worry about!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

You make lovely bears Edie and I especially loved your challenge multi coloured bear and would buy her in a flash if money were no object.Some people are lucky and have lots of money but many people have bears as a treat and if money is short the luxurys are the first thing that have to go.This is no reflection on your bears and it can be soul destroying but we have to plod on and hope things will pick up.I had a spell earlier in the year where my bears didn't sell for a few months in the shop I supply to and then they sold about 9 bears in one go.I had got a bit despondent when they didn't sell for a while so took the opportunity to slow down a bit and then had to put the extra hours in as I had a show coming up and had lost half of my stock bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Thanks, Shelli, Kathy, Sonya, Catherine, and Laurie!
I feel so guilty now for complaining after hearing everyones' comments. I hope things pick up for you soon, Sonya and you can keep making your lovely bears.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Don't get discouraged, that's anyone who's seeing a dip, blip or slip in sales.  All industries have cycles, all hit highs and lows.  (Hub is in the mortgage industry...talk about EEK!)  I just tried ebay again for the first time in forever and it was a flop-o-rama. But she's one of my personal favorite bears so if she gets to hang out with me 'til her mom or pop finds her I'm ok with that bear_original   I might not ever be a same day list and sell artist, or a same week (or month) list and sell artist....but it's what I like to do, so I'll just keep on doin' bear_laugh  I just won't be doin' on ebay anytime soon...the fees are too high and the advertising theories don't show in stats for me...they didn't jump during the week but remained within the same daily/weekly numbers.   (Anyone else track site stats during listings to see if the whole "great ebay advertising" theory holds true for them???)

Anyone want to start bartering? bear_grin  hmmmmm....

:hug:
~Chrissi

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

(Anyone else track site stats during listings to see if the whole "great ebay advertising" theory holds true for them???)

Not sure what that is Chrissi - and how do you do it???

Board footer