Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

bearswithlovingcare Bears with loving care by Sheila xx
Lancashire, England

I don't know about anyone else, but this isn't my strong point.
I wanted to resurrect my bear making, but I keep getting waylaid! Instead of sitting down and actually starting a bear, I find myself doing all sorts of other things, like spending two hours trying to resize a photo to put on my profile (which I still haven't managed to do)
I think I'm scared! Maybe I'll make a mess, or not be able to get a decent photo of the finished article. Does that make sense to anyone?
How do you manage YOUR time?   :doh:

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I am struggling with the same time management issue.  I am between things in my life, it seems. Anyone else out there struggling with time management and bear making?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've accepted the fact that a majority of artistic people are not organized or disciplined and I'm one of 'em! And I drive myself crazy being this way. I spend much too much time on the computer doing things that are bear business related but it's not making bears which is all I really want to do these day! But on my way to my studio the phone rings or the dogs have to go out, the mail comes, I walk by a pile of clothes that need to be washed, we're out of milk and I have to run out and get some and come up with 10 other places to go while I'm out, then it's dinner time and still I have yet to get to my studio.

I don't know how to change this. I wish I did. I'm open to suggestions!!!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Daphne wrote:

I've accepted the fact that a majority of artistic people are not organized or disciplined and I'm one of 'em! And I drive myself crazy being this way. I spend much too much time on the computer doing things that are bear business related but it's not making bears which is all I really want to do these day! But on my way to my studio the phone rings or the dogs have to go out, the mail comes, I walk by a pile of clothes that need to be washed, we're out of milk and I have to run out and get some and come up with 10 other places to go while I'm out, then it's dinner time and still I have yet to get to my studio.

I don't know how to change this. I wish I did. I'm open to suggestions!!!

hahahahaha,
Your day sounds like mine!!! I get side tracked on everything! bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

nandesign Posts: 361

I say...Enjoy your life! If you can squeeze a few bears or dolls(both in my case)...great! Life is way too short to worry about what you haven't finished or started...I have found this out myself in the past couple of years. I want to do so many projects and when I am working hard at it...the deadlines become the goal...not how wonderful I feel working on the project! I am really trying to learn from my own experiences...make the project the most important thing when you do sit down and finally do it!

I don't know if any of that makes sense...but the dust in my house is now calling for my attention!!
Hugs, Nancy

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

At least some of you have studios... My "studio" is my living room.. It is soooo hard to get anything done. I have to really focus and there are very few days I can do that. This is the main reason no one sees my work.... BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING ORIGINAL bear_sad . Someday I hope to have a room of my own so I can shut off the world and create! bear_ermm  Someday it will happen bear_wub

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Funny that this topic has come up right now.  Hubby has been on holiday for three out of the last four weeks!  Ask me how many bears I have done  :crackup:   I love the guy dearly, but he is a grown up version of a hyperactive child - he has to be busy all the time.  I just want a quiet spot with a bear to sew.  Thank goodness he is back to work on Monday - YIPPEE!!!!!!!!

I am trying to get more organized.  I have had some success with new venues and actually have some customers emailing to sse if I have any bears done, and unfortunately the answer is "nope, sorry!"  I'm trying to come up with a schedule - when someone figures out how to do that, will you let me know :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Time Management - what's that?? Never heard of it!  :crackup:  :crackup:

"Bearswithlovingcare", (sorry, I don't know your name), I think you need to just jump in with both feet and I'm sure it will all come right back. There is an old saying "If I don't really try, I can't really fail", and that sounds like what you are feeling. No way to get over that but to just make yourself do it - one step at a time! No sense worrying about the photo until you get the bear done, etc. etc.
(And be sure to show us that bear when you get it finished!)

bearsbyTracey BearsbyTracey
Wellington, New Zealand

I am with everyone else. bear_original
I am trying hard to get organised.
I have been spending far too long on the computer lately and my hubby keeps saying" I thought you were suppose to be making bears.!!!!
I am like you Brenda. when Dave is away which is next weekend I seem to get more bearmaking done.  I don't know the reason but I always do.
hugs
Tracey

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
thumperantiques wrote:

Funny that this topic has come up right now.  Hubby has been on holiday for three out of the last four weeks!  Ask me how many bears I have done  :crackup:   I love the guy dearly, but he is a grown up version of a hyperactive child - he has to be busy all the time,  I just want a quiet spot with a bear to sew.  Thank goodness he is back to work on Monday - YIPPEE!!!!!!!!

I am trying to get more organized.  I have had some success with new venues and actually have some customers emailing to sse if I have any bears done, and unfortunately the answer is "nope, sorry!"  I am trying to come up with a schedule - when someone figures out to do that, will you let me know :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

I hear ya Brenda!!! LOL
Hubby is starting his 2 week vacation tomorrow...........................there goes all of my spare time in the studio! He sounds like your hubby! My only chance of working on a bear is when he wears down and takes a nap!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I just think that if I don't get on with it I will end up with nothing done. I think I do have to discipline myself a BIT each day. I have been self employed for more years than I care to mention and it would be so easy to go shopping instead. But I do just get up and get on with it..always have.
I am not saying I am ORGANISED...because I do tend to think...unless I have a fair coming up or some other thing that NEEDS to be done..that I do whatever I feel like doing that day...be it stuffing ....sewing noses...jointing..or making a new pattern....whatever.

But I start at 8.30-9am every day except Monday ( that is my day off) and the days I go to work in the salon,I usually work there Friday and Saturday ....and I work on bears through till about 8pm at night...and if I have a fair looming I start earlier..

If I didn't do that I would feel like I was mucking about and not doing anything constructive and as my other half works hard too I feel like I ought to do my bit. How I divide up my bear making is more complicated..but not at all scientific..I just go with the flow!

But I start at 8.30-9am every day except Monday ( that is my day off) and the days I go to work in the salon,I usually work there Friday and Saturday ....and I work on bears through till about 8pm at night...and if I have a fair looming I start earlier..

Jenny,
      I think if was up at 8:30 a.m and ready to work, hubby would think I was ill.  I rarely venture out of bed until noon, but I work into the wee hours of the morning, rarely getting into bed until 3:00 -4:00 a.m. It's 3:40 a.m., as I'm writing this  bear_grin  My poor brain simply does not funtion before noon!

Tami,
      Don't they just drive you crazy.  Mine is either whining because I'm working and he wants to go somewhere or because I'm on the computer and he thinks I should be working!  bear_rolleyes

hugs,

Brenda

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Brenda...I often wish I COULD lie in, I get up most mornings around 4.30 am...latest 5.30...and I go to bed any time between 9.30 pm and midnight. I go up early when I have emails to send...and I take my laptop up with me.
I used to be able to stay in bed late but the last 10 years I need less and less sleep..I love the early mornings for teddy making...no phone...no-one calling round...heaven!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

My business is my ONLY income. Wow, I wish that wasn't so  bear_sad  I'm up at 6:00 am every morning, seven days a week, and I work. IF I don't work, I don't eat. Sounds sad but in some ways this has pushed me in the studio and lets me focus on what I want to create.
Karen

bearswithlovingcare Bears with loving care by Sheila xx
Lancashire, England

Sorry...my name is Sheila, and it's a relief in a way, to know that most of you are as disorganized as I am!!  bear_wacko

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I wouldn't by any means consider myself an organized person but I find if I don't spend a couple of three hours in the evening sewing bears I feel I've wasted the evening. I've set up all the tools I need in an area by my easy chair, in front of the tv I must admit, and keep my fingers busy! I do have my sewing room all set up but only do dolls and such in there and generally only on the weekends since I work full time as well.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have 6 children between the ages of 3 and 18 and it is hard work looking after them all and trying to keep the house decent.I would love to get up in the mornings and just make bears but I never do as I feel too guilty if I haven't done the housework.The rest of the morning is spent doing other household chores.I do allow myself the time after I pick the children up from school as my bear making time although sometimes I have to other things.I am always sewing  evenings as I handsew and can do that with the telly on.I find it easier to be motivated though when I have a show coming up.
I think that you are putting off your bear making as the pressure to come up with the goods makes it even harder to make a start.I have been trying to make a dress this last week and am trying to avoid it as it is easier to do something else although I have nearly finished it so I am glad that I persevered.You find that you just get more annoyed with yourself putting it off than just taking the plunge so just take one step at a time.You will get there eventually bear_flower
Laurie :hug:

Bunnybear Posts: 71

I'm very disorganized aswell, my bear stuff is normally lying across my desk, stuffed in a box somewhere bear_ermm

Rather tha get no sewing done i seem to sew to much, i have breakfast and feed y pets in the morning start sewing around 2pm and get carrried  away and before i know it the clock striking 2am, my mums always going on about my eyes are going to go funny  :crackup:

I do have a few breaks inbetween but once i get started i want it to be finished so i can see then end result and forget to put it down bear_wub  bear_wub

Jenny,
     It's a good thing we don't live in the same  house - we'd hardly see each other as I'd be going to bed as you were getting up!  :crackup:  I've ALWAYS been a night owl, along with several other family members, including my son.  I like the late night for the same reason you like early morning - no phone calls, no interuptions and I agree - it's heaven!

Tami,
    Can you sew in the car?  That's my salvation - whenever we go for a drive (and that's a lot), I bring a bear to sew.  I have no bears finished, since hubby's been on holiday, but I have four with the body parts completely sewn.  I just have to put them together and stuff them.  I can't just sit and do nothing - I have to have something to do and sewing bears is perfect.  Like a lot of others here, I sew in the evenings, watching TV, but I also sew if I have company for tea etc.  My friends all know I just can't sit unoccupied, so they don't mind.

Karen,
     I'm sure most of us would get organized quickly, if our eating depended on bear making!!  You just do what you have to.  I do think if I was on my own, I could get much more done, rather than trying to fit my sewing around hubby's scedule.
      I have a friend overseas, who supports herself with bears.  She has raised a child by herself and owns a house as well.  I don't know how she does it, but she's quite amazing.  You both have my admiration!  Take care.

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer