Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

angelbear216 Posts: 9

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any in person bear making classes near Charleston, South Carolina?  I've been wanting for many years to learn how to make a teddy bear.  I've looked at books and see that there are online classes but I am just the kind of person who needs to have "hands on" learning especially for this.  Or if someone lives in my area who would be willing to show me how to make a bear?

I just thought I'd post and see what came up.  I didn't know where else to try to find someone.  I've tried a general search online and it didn't come up with anything.

Thanks for your time,

Lisa
carolinabun216@yahoo.com

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Lisa, sorry I can't help as although I'm British I live in Belgium so a little way away from you  bear_rolleyes   I hope that someone else can help you out with suggestions, I am sure you will have great fun if you can find a hands on class.

Beary Hugs,
Catherine x

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Hi Lisa,
Not sure if it helps but we sell a dvd for people who aren't able to get to a class. It's the traditional style of making bears but it is very detailed, excellent for beginners and then you can set your own pace with the remote control- all you have to do is press stop.
Anyway have a look if you like www.theartofteddybears.com - under getting started products.
Cheers
Mel

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Lisa: Why not look at the websites of your favorite bear artists. E-mail them, asking if they are doing any workshops. If so, find out where and contact information. You may have to travel to another state but just make it a vacation.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Lisa,
    I live in NC. There is an event coming to Galax, Va. on October 10-12.  "Steiff on the Mountain".  Bev White (Teddies To Go) will be there.....you may find that a good "hands on" experience.
   Try:    bearlyamemory.com     for more information.

Hugs,
      JeannieB bear_original

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

That trip to Virginia sounds like a good one.  But if you can't do that and you can't find anyone near, the next best thing would probably be a dvd.  I have used them for various classes, and they are very helpful.  I would suggest to start with an easy pattern and inexpensive material.  My first bear was made from a McCall's pattern that I paid $1 for and synthetic material that was super cheap.  From there, I was hooked and had to try mohair.  Mohair is definitely the way to go for me.

Board footer