Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

...for me anyway.  I feel like I have been ever so blessed and honored with everything I have in my life...my family...my experiences( dolphins, tigers etc..) ...and the trophies and honors in the bear world.

I have put an extraordinary amount of time, and energy( not to mention $$$) into competing that I feel like I need a break.  I also feel like I have enough trophies.  Dr. Wayne Dyer says "When your cup is full, stop pouring."  Be happy with what you have.   I am very happy with my life and my bears.  I also feel like bear awards ...as nice and thrilling as they are to have, just don't make me a better artist.   

How do you all feel about all these contests???

I hope I still fel this way come fall..... bear_shocked

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Judi,
       I can imagine it's a ton of work  to compete as you have!  I, for one really enjoy seeing your creations in competitions and otherwise.  bear_wub
     Your article in Teddy Bear and Friends: Sugar Bear, is really a neat way to share your talent.  I'm thinking about trying it!
    Maybe bear awards don't necessarily make you a better artist.....but, inspire others to be!?!
   See how you feel in the Fall? bear_original

Hugs,
             JeannieB bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Awe Thanks Jeannie. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:   You're a sweetheart!

And...I had no idea TB and F was out with my Sugar Bear Pattern.  It may be at the post office.  We have been out of town all week.

I hope I get it tomorrow. bear_flower

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Congrats Judi on your wins this year!!!! You are a very talented artist and you deserve it!  You have been a inspiration and a friend to me since I started working on bears! :hug:
I was very thrilled to win a Toby award last year and the URSA this year, I still think of myself as a newbie to the bear world
so I still get very excited when I enter a contest.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Judi I to have put forth my congratulations as well .  You know that we have always followed your career from when you first started making bears and watching your auctions on ebay.  The wins are well deserved, some artist did exactly what you are talking about this yr.  I know Karen Lyons and Michelle Lamb kind of took the yr off from competitions, sometimes you just need to do that.  I agree that winning awards does not make you a better artist, it does however give you more recognition in the bear world which is always a nice thing.   Everyone has to do what they feel is right for them and sometimes taking a yr off is what is called for.   I am sure you not looking at bowing out of competitions for the rest of your career but just taking a break from them.  I can understand this and it would be a well deserved break Judi, we all know the amount of hard work that goes into creating and making your beautiful creations.

big hugs

Shane

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well Judi you do great work.
As for me...
It is always an honor being nominated. bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Judi, you always inspire, whether you are competing or not.

My view on competitions has been mixed over the years and so I have only ever entered competitions sporadically, some years not taking part at all.  Lately though, I have reached the conclusion that with the dip our bear world has been suffering from, all hands need to be on deck to keep the profile of bear art high - competitions give us a great opportunity to keep interest focused on the world of artist bears and we need high calibre work to sustain that interest and to keep teddy bear art aspirational.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I am really touched by your comments Jeanie, Tami, Jared, Daphne, Shane and Paula. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   
I have to say that YOU are all an inspiration to me.  I have also seen your work grow over a short time and the support that you offer, not only to me but others in this industry, reaffirms what a beautiful bear world we are all a part of.

Winning is very bitter-sweet.  As thrilling as it is to win....I hate that others feel some disappointment. Especially when I know so many of you  in the same categories as me.  That's the downside.   I know...I have been on both sides.  bear_sad
I hope you will all continue to enter into all the awards because even a nomination alone is a huge honor.

I'll enter again...with something really really new in the future.  In the meantime I am going to "git my design ON!" bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'd deleted my previous post... sorry.

Judi - you have been truly blessed with your talent and in your personal life too. Whether you'd ever won an award or not wouldn't change that. You will always be an inspiration to many of us!

I haven't entered a contest be it at a local craft show or an industry contest like the TOBYs ....ever...... I used to feel my work wasn't good enough.... then when I thought it MIGHT be I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment. Then I'd hear things about the judging of SOME contests not always being on the up and up... so why enter and if I won (or didn't) not know if it was in all fairness or not? Now I've come to the point where I'm quite confident in my work, its selling, and things are great. I don't need a trophy or ribbon to prove myself to me or anyone else.

I believe the artist must make the award happen... not that the award makes the artist. But that's just MY opinion. I'm thrilled that so many of you do participate in the awards because I LOVE to see all the top notch work and Paula is right, its an event that brings awareness to our work and keeps the art bear industry exciting.

But now that I've gotten to that point I've been THINKING about entering a contest for the FUN of it! Sure, it'd be an honor to add an industry win to my resume! But because I am confident and successful with my work without having won any awards I wouldn't be as disappointed if I didn't win and it wouldn't go to my head if I did (which, 6-8 years ago it might have! LOL!)

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Dear Judy,
  I am a fan of Wayne Dyer.  If you are a fan and have read his books and others like his, then you know that to push the limit of what can be done creatively like you do, allows all of the rest of us to follow.  Roger Bannister the man that broke the record for running the 6mile is less than 4 minutes.  No one thought it was humanly possible,  he knew he could, he did, and that opened the door for others to follow.  Whether you are entering contests, or just selling, as long as you continue to think outside the box as you seem to do, and push the limits of creativity,  you will continue to open the door for others to follow.
Being inspiration is an important gift to give, however you choose to give it
Joanne

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Judy,
No contests, NO WAY!  Your work is beyond fabulous, your designs so original and so appealing to collectors.  I love seeing your bears in the contests.  You give other artists inspiration to strive for your kind of creativity, quality and craftsmanship.!  The money you spend to enter certainly comes back to you tenfold in publicity.  I didn't enter the awards for 3 years.  I entered last year and with my 2 Golden Teddy nominations and Toby Industry Choice award, business sure improved.  You probably don't realize that part of your success in sales, is a direct impact on your recognition through contests.  While it is expensive to enter, I think everyone should give it go.  I learned this year the impact it can have on your business.  It's a good thing!

I still remember the piece you created that made me fall in love with your work.  It was a boy bear with a frog.  I think it was called "Can I keep him?" 

bear_thumb Way to go on your Golden Teddies!  Good luck on the TOBY's this weekend!

Alison
http://www.eTeddys.net

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Judi, big congrats for your wins ! !    bear_flower   :hug:   
I saw your fantastic works on Japanese magazine too !!! It is very exiting to see your works on Magazine !!!!  :dance:     
Your work is beyond the superb !  bear_thumb   
I think you do deserve the OFF TIME from competition ! everyone needs time off.  :hug:  :hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Judi, congratulations on your hard work and successes, its well deserved.

I can understand the amount of time, effort and money that goes in to anyones creations, especially yours with such detail.  I feel that the awards and contests  do give us all exposure in the industry, I felt honored to have received nominations this year and would like to go that one step further to reach a personal goal of mine and thats to satisfy myself only and it gives me inspiration to try new things and push myself,  seeing others successes also gives me that drive.  Due to time restrictions with working full time, and when the fun factor is gone, then its time for me to take a break as well.

You deserve a break so go for it.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug: Judi, you don't need us telling you its okay to take a break from contests if you need to.  Really ~ its okay!!!  :hug:   Sometimes it helps to take a year off, to recharge and get excited again, or not.  Its totally up to you to decide if you need to take that break or not.  :hug:

Birgitta's bears Uppsala, Sweden

....And now you will have the time to write a bearmaking book?  bear_rolleyes  :pray:   I know that everyone will buy!  bear_thumb You have fans all over the world!
I adore your work, I am a totally newbie in this area, started last year sewing bears. Your bears gives me a great inspiration of making more teddybears! I wish I had your skills, girl!  bear_wub
I have no idea how hectic it would be before the bearshows but I can imagen and all the works you do on your bears amazes me. I do understand that the family must be put aside during that time and writing a book can be hard to do too but we all would love to have a bearmaking book written by you!  bear_happy

:hug:
Birgitta

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi, you rock, contests or otherwise.  It's just that simple.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You know , I had no idea you all felt this way. bear_cry  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
You are the most supportive, generous, and kind group of fine people I have had the honor and privilege to get to know here on TT and even outside TT. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

It's such a comfort to know that even though I don't get out much I can visit you all across the globe right here from my kitchen counter where I keep my mac book.  We are all just a click away from each other.

A book, Birgitta.....  I am so flattered that you mention that.  That has crossed my mind at times....I'm not sure exactly what would go in it but but I am talking things over with my Brother.  he is a professor at Washington State University and he is interested in helping me with this.  So...maybe. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

GROUP BEAR HUG EVERYONE> :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:   Bless your hearts!!!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

A book, Birgitta.....  I am so flattered that you mention that.  That has crossed my mind at times....I'm not sure exactly what would go in it but but I am talking things over with my Brother.  he is a professor at Washington State University and he is interested in helping me with this.  So...maybe.

Go for it, Judi. It would be a huge success and eventually become one of the definitive books on bear-making. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Birgitta's bears Uppsala, Sweden

YIPPIE!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb
You had considered writing a bearmaking book!!!! :hug:
I agree with Marlys! Go for it! :pray:  :pray:  :pray:
I will be so exited to see your book :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
:hug:
Birgitta

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

I can help with the proof reading!! bear_grin
Hugs - and many more successes, whatever you do!!
Chrisx

Board footer