Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I'd love to see what all the mini makers are up to lately!!!!?  Can we have show and tell time?

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Kim! I'm making a Koala at the moment - he'll be about 3" tall when he's finished. I'm using the long-pile sassy bears fur again, which I just love. I got quite a bit of him finished while my daughter played with her friend today so hopefully I'll have photos soon! (Or would you like to see the unjointed body parts?!).

Are you making a mini at the moment?

Hudson, Ohio

AdWeeOnes.jpgI just finished taking pics of this little one... not named yet!  And she's made of the smokey long pile no less!  You and I must be in a similar groove at the moment.  :dance:  I haven't even measured her yet... I better get crackin!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Kim what a fantastic bear. You have captured that 'it could be any size' quality that I am trying to get. I'm not there yet but I will keep trying. Well done! :clap:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Goodness she is adorable!

Hudson, Ohio

Thanks!  Kim..... what is on YOUR work Table right now!!!!!  Come on, inquiring minds want to know!

Amanda.... could you post a few pics of your work?  From what I've seen it doesn't seem to scream, "I'm a mini!"

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm currently working on changing my pattern a bit.  I'm wanting more bent arms and legs.  I'm so far happy with my bears body shape and head but want more variety in the arms and legs.  So...that's what I'm up to...

Oh and buying more "stuff"...it's so addicting!!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Love the mini bear. I have to admit, I'm taking a ez bear university couse to design your own teddy.
It's going really well, but in my spare time at work, I've been trying to draw mini's. Using yours for inspiration, or my memory of them anyway.
I would just like to say
IT IS NOT EASY!!!!! I wasn't trying to copy you or anything, I hope you understand. But I need to give you credit for your artisic abilities.

Oh, and I'm working on what may be my last bought pattern. A very cool sleepy bear.  Sure am learning lots though,

Heather

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Kim, your new bear is as gorgeous as ever! A total sweetheart, and I love the way you've trimmed the face...  bear_wub

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Kim - such a little wonder again  bear_wub you are just so so clever  :cool:
I am working on a little wedding mini pair for one of the lady superitendants at work(her daughter is getting married at the beginning of november) I will post a picture when complete.
Also just got some faux sable from Fabulous furs it is superb but there is much more than I thought there would be - hmm nto sure what to do with it - one of the girls in work suggested a life size bear - I told her the stuffing might be a problem  bear_grin bear_grin
Looking forward to seeing lots more minis here
:hug: :hug:
Anne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

since you wonderful gals introduced me to vintage rayon and sassy's fabrics i have been hooked, because

don't laugh

I have slow dialup- so while I wait for pages to load etc. I work on a seem....Last week I made 5 minimini's that I need to accessorize and give mouths....all from the time I spent on the computer.....

too funny

But I am in love with the ease....and the fabrics......in fact last night I was finishing a litte guy while waiting for the 'Sassy' web site to load so that I could order more squares.

I love needle felting too- but I tried doing it while doing the computer too and it didn't work too well......the stabbing the hand thing....

Dilu

Thank you ladies.....my poor honey....he just shakes his head

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, your mini is very, very cute!  You are soooo talented!  :clap:  :clap:

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Sunshine-400.jpegKim, your mini is absolutely adorable! I have been working on larger bears  ( 6") lately, but I have been working on one little mini by the name of Sunshine. She is 2 7/8" when standing.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

My avatar is just over 4". I would call that mini but when people make 3" and less I suppose 4" is huge! OH that does sound a bit 'Carry On' does'nt it! :redface: I have done another 4" and want to go slightly less for my next one. I am still working on the patterns. Well after I get off here and have been out shopping. I hope 4" counts, but I could say its all in the technique! bear_whistle

Hudson, Ohio

Amanda--- I think that the magazines consider 'miniature' to be 5" and under, but really, I think it's more the scale than the size that makes something miniature.  I've seen a lot of 6 inch bears that I would really consider to be mini rather than small full sized bears!

Terrie-- i still can't get over how you can use such a long pile for a such a tiny bear!  That is definitely something that I can figure out how to do!!!! They look so cute!!!! Like a little fuzz ball! You do a great job bringing out those all important facial features!!!!!

Sue Ann.... Thanks!

Dilu... I used to get so much more done when we still had dial up!!!! I di dthe same thing, sew a tiny seam while waiting for the pages to load!  We just got DSL when we moved in August, I love it, but I certainly do get less done!

Anne... Yes, do put up some pictures of the wedding pair when they are done!!!! I would just love to see them!  Are they fully dressed?

Helena... I love trimming mini faces... there is generally so little fluff flying around after ward!  When I trim a big one, and then run to the store or something, people always ask me what kind of dog I have.  I don't have any dogs!

Heather.... That course sounds great!  I've heard nothing but rave reviews!  I WISH I could draw more! I can never 'see' what a two dimentional pattern will look like in 3-D.  I'm terrible that way, I just have to draw it, then make up the little arm to have any undertsnanding at all.  I just can't seem to think in 2 D.  I have some freakishly wierd body parts lying around here!  I have to do it like 4 or 5 times to even come close to what I had imagined!     

Shantell.... I LOVE bent arms and legs!  It's always hard to get the proportions right on them, I think.... It is for me at least.  Let us know how it is going!

Beary truly yours,
KIm Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

leahandboa.jpgWhat I am working on now... well, I have plenty of minis cut out.... and in various points of being assembled... LOL....  I have two pandas I am working on... they will be twins... male and female.  I have had them cut out for 2 mos or so and havent sewn them up yet... I am waiting for my hemostats so I can turn the pieces!!! I cant live without my hemostats for my minis!  But I also have been needle felting away.. Leah is my latest.. she is 2" sitting and 3" standing.... I will probably have the panda twins done this weekend... It is my 1 yr wedding anniversary  bear_wub so I took off monday so I should get plenty done.... provided my hemostats come by then!!!  God I am lost without them - my others snapped!  I also have a synthetic grey bear that I am working on... soooo soft, cant wait to finish him/her... but pieces are only cut out at this point...

Hudson, Ohio

Happy aniversary Kim!  I'd be lost without my hemostats too!  That little pink feltie is cute!  I'd love to use colored eyes on my minis but each and every time I try, I always manage to pull them off the wires.  Never fail!  I must be too rough! Either they pop off when I crimp them (MOST often the case) or when I try to set them.... Very frustrating!   You must be a very gentle handed young lady!!!! I just can't seem to develop the needed patience to deal with it!  they do look lovely!!!!  :clap:

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Actually, I am quite rough!  I tug until they are sunk!  for Leah, I actually had to remove her head and start another one because the one popped right off!! and because I superglue them to make sure they stay, I couldnt just remove it... so I cut off her head and made a new one which actually worked out better... i like this head shape better... I cut off the ears of the first one and used them for leah LOL  Sounds brutal!   he he he

What do you use for eyes, Kim?

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Kim ( Basta )
I feel better knowing you don't get things right the 1st time. I thought it was just me.
Back to drawing patterns now,
Heather

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Happy Anniversary, Kim! Your little bear is adorable, I love the bright colors that you use.
I  lose a lot of eyes, also, trying to crimp them, there is such  fine line between narrow enough to use and oops! bear_laugh

Thanks Kim, it is nice to hear that you like my little "fuzzball", I love to make the tiny ones but I have been disheartened with them lately because about the last 4 haven't sold at all. It's a good thing that they don't take up much room on the shelf! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Dilu, making minis while you  wait for dial up is an awesome idea!! :)

Heather, that sounds like a great course to take. When I get some time there are several that I would love to take. The top of my list right now is Judi's needlefelting course.

Anne, please don't forget to post your pictures of the wedding pair !!

Shantell, buying stuff for bears is addicting!! Whenever I feel a little down, I head to the fabric store (or ebay) and to look at all of the "stuff" that I have, you would think that I was a very depressed person!! bear_laugh bear_laugh.....which I am not.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

OOHHHH  :love:What a sweatie, really

Hudson, Ohio

Heather, I never get things right the first time!! Not ever!  And pattern drawing is particularly difficult for me because as I've said I find the transition from 2 D to 3 D just mind boggling!!!! I think that I've gotten a bit better at it as time goes on, just from practice and the numerous mistakes....
One thing that I do with minis since I am "dimensionally challenged" is to sculpt out in polymer clay the limb, or head shape or what ever that I am trying to make sense of.  I use classic Fimo, which is a pretty hard clay to begin with so I generally don't even cure the piece.   Then I cut a piece of paper towel or thin tracing paper into the approximate shape of what the eventual pattern piece will look like... then I trim away the excess right up to where the seam line will be on the finished limb.  Where the paper towel over laps around a curve or puffy part, I generally take a dart.... So, my pattern pieces can look really weird with darts in some odd places.  Then I lay the cut up paper towel piece on an index card to make my actual pattern piece, and add in the tiny seam allowances.  I do the same thing for each of the pattern pieces that I need.  It sounds difficult, but it's really not..... It really does allow me to get pieces that have a better fit for me, in the proportions I want etc.....  And it allows for some extra puffiness in areas where you want it as long as you've sculpted that puffiness into your clay bear.  I would certainly not say it's the best or the easiest way to design patterns, but it's the way that gives me the closest thing to what I want to achieve in 3-D.  After that I just modify the index card pieces here and there to get slightly different looks  from bear to bear, and enlarge and/or shrink them.  When i get sick of the pattern or of an individual part of a pattern, out comes the clay again!  Very rarely do I draw a pattern piece out on a piece of paper & it just works!  VERY RARELY!!!!!  I'm not sure how many other artists design their patterns this way, but it does work for me.  In the doll world and in the clothing industry it's called "pattern draping."  I haven't been around in the bear world long enough to know if that's what it is called here?  Anyone? "Pattern draping?"  bear_ermm  I absolutely envy folks who can draw it and have it look that way in 3-D... much be so much faster!!!!!

Beary truly your,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Lovely to have a section just for mini bears   bear_thumb  I've got one little girl bear on Ebay at the moment with only a few days to go and no bids at 99 cent - very disheartening for the little lass. :(

beth4.jpg

It's been dark and pourrrring with rain over here today so I've been working on another mini made out of long curly schulte mohair - sure is a challenge with longer mohair!  I'll post a piccie when he's done.

Hugs
Catherine

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Terri, it is a great course. I'm soo lovin' it!!!!

Kim, you are so helpfull. THanks a bunch.
I'm going to try and sculpt then. I started out as a sculpter, so that part is easy, but I get confused as to how to fit the paper towel. I think I will try after your description. I have all these ideas for other animals, so I guess sculpting would be a good way to do. I also can think in 3D. The head is the toughest part. For me anyway.

Maybe I'll even try with a dragon I already have sculpted.

You're the best!!

Heather

Hudson, Ohio

Catherine... she is so sweet... and she actually looks a bit forlorn right now!!!! Poor little dear.

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Board footer