Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

MANTA RAY AMAZING MASS MIGRATION

Looking like giant leaves floating in the sea thousands of Golden Rays are seen here gathering off the coast of Mexico .

The spectacular scene was captured as the magnificent creatures made one of their biannual mass migrations to more agreeable waters

rays1.gif

Gliding silently beneath the waves they turned vast areas of blue water to gold off the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula .

Sandra Critelli, an amateur photographer, stumbled across the phenomenon while looking for whale sharks.

rays2.gif

She said: 'It was an unreal image, very difficult to describe. The surface of the water was covered by warm and different shades of gold and looked like a bed of autumn leaves gently moved by the wind.

'It's hard to say exactly how many there were but in the range of a few thousand.

rays3.gif

'We were surrounded by them without seeing the edge of the school and we could see many under the water surface too.

'I feel very fortunate I was there in the right place at the right& nbsp;time to experienced nature at his best.'

Measuring up to 7ft (2.1 meters) from wing-tip to wing-tip, Golden rays are also more prosaically known as cow nose rays.

rays4.gif

They have long, pointed pectoral fins that separate into two lobes in front of their high-domed heads and give them a cow-like appearance.

Despite having poisonous stingers they are known to be shy and non-threatening when in large schools.

The population in the Gulf of Mexico migrates, in schools of as many as 10,000, clockwise from western Florida to the Yucatan .

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi,
Pictures are fab! bear_thumb
Right time ,right place. like everything in life! :hug:
Love kayx. bear_wub

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Absolutly wonderfull. Thank you so much for sharing :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Studio44 Studio 44
UK

Amazing

Dorothy

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

absolutely amazing.

Marion

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

WOW......what fantastic pictures  :clap:

That must have been such a spectacular sight to see in the flesh!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics with us Tami  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs
Janice

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

wow incredible, it doesn't seem real. How amazing to see.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Now that is amazing!  What magnificent and beautiful creatures they are.   bear_wub

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Gosh, that is absolutely amazing

hugs

Lisa

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

wow!! that is amazing...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Awe inspiring!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Wow! Wonderful and beautiful! I love seeing and learning things like this... thanks for sharing!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Great photos Tami  bear_thumb
Laurie :hug:

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Wow that is very cool!

Hugs,
Melanie

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Wow nature at it's best I get goosebumps just looking at it the adrenalin would have been pumping being there lucky lady. bear_thumb

Raewyn

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Jane.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

These incredible pictures are quite surreal looking aren't they.  You could think you were in the middle of some sci-fi movie couldn't you?  Mother Nature never ceases to amaze us.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

In the late 70s a friend & I had buddied up in our group to dive in the FL Keys (http://www.pennekamppark.com/); we were near the top of a reef when a leopard ray/spotted eagle ray with a wing span of about 10 feet across
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/D … SERay.html
followed the same path we did up over the reef's ridge and down the other side.

Out of the corner of an eye, one of us spotted it coming and we couldn't do anything more than just watch.  We both looked up, looked at each other and then just stared as this magnificent creation winged slowly over us and on down over the other side of the reef. I don't think either one of us remember to breathe for the full 2 minutes it was in view.......

The light above us diminished: we estimated the ray to've been at least 10' across. The only bad part is that this species is known for their extremely long whip-like tail. This one's tail was no more that 5 or 6' long. It most likely lost it in a battle sometime but I'll never forget those magnificent ringed spots on top and the creamy smooth underside, with the 'scoop fins' on either side of the mouth directing food into the maw.

Board footer