Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Owl New York City, NY

I'm *finally* making my first bear! All went fairly well until I tried jointing. I'm using lock nut joints because I've been told they don't loosen...but one of mine definitely is. I keep tightening it and the leg seems good, and then after moving it a few times it's loose again. I can't get the neck joint tight at all. I'm using a nut driver...what could I be doing wrong??

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

If you are having problems with only one leg, I would replace the hardware in that leg.

I think the problem you may be having on the head joint is that there's no way to hold the bolt from the inside of the head to keep it in place while you tighten the nut.  You need a special joint for the head using a tap bolt.  This is a bolt with the center hollowed out in a hex shape.  You put a ratchet driver around the nut, put an allen wrench in the middle of the bolt and then tighten.  You are able to keep the bolt still with the allen wrench while you tighten the nut with the ratchet. 

Is this  making any sense to you?  I hope so.  Perhaps someone else can word it better.

Hugs,
Alison

Board footer