Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I know you knowledgable TTers will come up with a name for this flower in my yard.  It just popped up recently and I can't find it anywhere in all my wildflower/gardening books.  There are two of them in full bloom and one that is about to bloom.  It apparently has no leaves, but a beautiful, spidery blossom at the end of a straight stem.  In some of the photos, the sun is playing tricks with the color, but the flowers are a beautiful solid red.

Red_flower_1.jpg  Red_flower_4.jpg  Red_flower_5.jpg

Help??

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Sue Ann.  It's a spider lily.  They typically bloom in late summer to early fall and come in yellow, red, pink and white.  I don't know if you have any of Howard Garrett's gardening books, but they are great.

Luann

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thank you very much, Luann.  :hug:  :hug:  I do have one Howard Garret book (Plants of the Metroplex III), but it only lists 'spider lily' and has no photo.  Other books I have mention the white variety, but it doesn't look too much like my red one.  Anyhoo, I will certainly try to take care of it as it is quite beautiful.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

What surprise that must have been Sue Ann.  They are really beautiful and I have never seen anything like them before. bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I did a google search on 'red spider lily' and came up with a ton of information.  It grows mainly in the southeastern part of the US . . . guess we are on the western edge of its habitat.  I saw some of the most gorgeous photos of this plant and learned more about its growing habits.  It's also known as the hurricane lily (blooms during hurricane season), surprise lily (I was totally surprised when it showed up in my yard!), and naked lady (has no leaves on the stalk).  The leaves do come up after the blossoms are gone and remain green throughout the winter.  Such a pleasant happening!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

How exciting!!!  bear_original

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

It looks like it belongs in a sci fi movie... Wow, it is so different....

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Lovely!!!  :clap:   We had some lilies pop up the other day.  Much like yours they were 'naked', but no where near as pretty as yours.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

WOW, that is " Higan bana" in Japanese !!! bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

What a stunning flower! And it just goes to show that you never stop learning, especially if you are interested in the world of nature
huggies
Maria

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Man, I wish gorgeous flowers would just pop up out of nowhere in MY backyard.  What a treat!

It's really beautiful, SA.  Have fun with it!

Board footer