Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Bearstuffing.jpgIt's not very often that I have anything to share as far as tips and techniques go.  However, today I had one of those AHA! moments and I was tickled to be able to share something.  If this has already been shared, please nevermind and remember I'm a ditzy blonde chick!

My tip:
If you stuff your bear head really hard, as I do, sometimes getting your needle through to set the eyes in can be a challenge.  My solution?  Those blue rubber gardening gloves give just the grip that's needed to push the needle through!!  Oh happy day!!  This has been a bugger for me since I started making bears almost nine years ago.  Okay, so I'm a little slow at coming up with solutions sometimes!  Ha!

I hope this tip helps someone out there.  It made my day a whole lot easier today!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Great idea, Aleta!
I think I may even have a pair, somewhere.
Good tip!  bear_thumb
      Laura

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

What a great idea!!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb

I keep a laytex glove or a rubber dish washing glove handy for this purpose. Not as fashionable however!  bear_tongue

If I'm going to be doing a lot of hand sewing I put on a couple of Sport Band-Aids. They are rubber-like and great for protecting your fingers AND grabbing needles. I can't work with thimbles.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:crackup:  MY Blossom pony will tell you those gardening gloves (in Diva Pink, naturally) will also remove that annoying fluff as spring time coat comes in for her forehead. 

I'm so happy you've found something to make your eyeball placement that much easier  :clap:

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hey, great tip!!  I usually use my fingernail (I know, it warrants a 'WHAT?' response!) and have buried quite a few needles under my nail.... OUCH!  Rubber gloves are an inexpensive, fantastic alternative! Thanks for sharing!

katiecountrymouse1 KatieCountryBears
Bolton-le-sands, Carnforth
Website

Hi Aleta,
Thanks for the tip, any tips on needles going through hard stuffing/mohair is great!
Love kayx. bear_wub

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk
BearBottoms wrote:

Hey, great tip!!  I usually use my fingernail (I know, it warrants a 'WHAT?' response!) and have buried quite a few needles under my nail.... OUCH!  Rubber gloves are an inexpensive, fantastic alternative! Thanks for sharing!

I do that too Kimberley but it usually ends up hurting so I resort to my pliers bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Oh my goodness Aleta great idea.  I have been gripping my needle with a piece of spare thick suede to pull through if it is a bit tough to get through, on the lookout now for some little gloves.  Thanks

Pauline

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Great tip Aleta!  And one that many many of us could use.   It sounds like such a simple thing.....and yet it could save a lot of needles and poked fingers not to mention sweat.  Thanks for sharing. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Now that's what I call a good tip! :dance:  :dance: I will certainly give this one ago :dance:  bear_thumb

Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm delighted that my little tip might help a few of you out there!  This is a great day!! bear_original

Aleta

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Wonderful - I know they sell gloves like these to be impervious to even rose thorns but - - what did you do to rip the full length of that thumb????

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

great tip, thanks for sharing.. but i always use pliers + table (or hard surface table) to help push the needle in  :redface: hahaha.. this way, i dont hurt my fingers..

this idea is better than needle grabber....

:hug:

Portland, Oregon
Website

Ahhh, but you see, I used to use my nail....the table....the pliers....and thinking it probably wasn't the safest thing to do.  One slip and.....OOPS!  Now there's a trip to the ER!

Realizing that everyone has their own method of setting eyes, I go from the eye socket to the back, the gloves work for pushing the needle through all of that hard packed stuffing.  I just couldn't get a firm enough grip.  Now with the gloves, I can!

Hi Bobbie,
The glove is not torn.  The top of the gloves are cotton!  Hands can breath! bear_original  The texture of the rubber is somewhat dimpled for extra grip.  Perhaps these gloves are not available everywhere.  Hmmm.  I get mine at Home Depot or Lowes (big box home/do it yourself types of  stores).  I use them for gardening and moving furniture.....and now for setting eyes!

Aleta

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:crackup: I use those same gloves to pull the weeds out of my cactus garden so as not to get too many prickles in the hand.  I will now try them in the bear department, great idea!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Aleta thanks for "Oh happy day" tip !  bear_laugh 
I'll go get my garden gloves !!!  bear_grin

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Aleta,

What a great tip!  I also use my finger nail for leverage.  I went with my husband today to Gander Mountain and found the gloves in the fishing section.  I also bought a terrific tackle box with four removable plastic drawers to organize bear necessities.  In case some of you are not familiar with Gander Mountain, it is very much like a Bass Pro Store - all the outdoor sports are covered - camping, fishing, hunting, boating, etc.  If you are brave enough to go with your husband be prepared to be in there for several hours - they look at everything.  Much like we do at antique shops and shows.  The funny thing is that the only purchases we made were for me!

Board footer