Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I never know what is a reasonable mark up is, say if it cost you $100 is $200 alright as i dont count my time all i would never sell a thing, i hope i am not getting to nosey.

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I tend to triple it. If I put in $40, I'm asking $125-$135.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Fran, I usually charge $15.00 per inch unless I've put extra work in - like needle sculpted toes, handmade quilt, etc.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Sue Ann......Good rule of thumb was $10. per inch , now I am finding too  it is $15. ..unless...like Sue said extra work is involved.... Winney

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Fran, I always work my pricing out as follows:

Materials (list absolutely everything, even the hangtag!) plus labour (I usually work that out at between 10/12 hours per bear) plus percentage for profit (which is a joke, because this actually has to cover all administrative/promotional etc etc costs too!) I tend to work with about a 30% 'profit' margin, but keep this bit of the equation flexible, so that I price the bears appropriately for their size etc in the current market.

I work all my costings out on a spreadsheet.  In fact, I have spreadsheets coming out my ears!  Spreadsheets to price the bears, spreadsheets to record income and expenditure for the tax man, spreadsheets to forecast my cash flow ... I always keep a packet of paracetamol handy too!!  (I wonder if that's tax deductible???)  bear_tongue

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi All, I too use spread sheets ,they are by far the easiest method of keeping note of everything ,I even have my mohair on one give details of where I bought it ,Colour ,amount etc. I also save a copy to disc as well ,just in case .......  Hugs Rita xx

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thaks guys i will get a spread sheet

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow, Rita, I am so impressed!  And Awed. Really!  :thumbsup:

I always am with anyone who is organized, (left brain) and creative (right brain)

I don't do very well in the left brain area   :redface: ......So it is a real effort....Like I save all my receipts, and actually file them.....but I am not sure why.  :)

Maybe I should take Nancys course on bear-business matters.  :doh:

bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Gina, I am in the same boat!  my highest so far sold tonight... it was for Pudgee... the needle felted orange bear.... I think when people recongnize your name, you will get more, especially if they get one of your bears and get hooked - i am a prime example  :P

I recently have had some reasonable selling success *knock on wood* and have one regular customer... she has bought four bears (well three and if she wins the one tomorrow it will be four) of mine in the last 2 1/2 weeks.  I also have a gal who really likes my bears and is watching the ones that are up for auction right now...

You gals told me it will take a while and I figure that if I sell them at least to cover my materials cost plus a few bucks, that is fine with me because I love making bears bear_original  I hope some day to be making a decent amount but I have plenty of time for that...

Gina, you will get there bear_original  you have come very far in such a short amount of time and I  bear_wub your bears!!!!

:hug:

Board footer