Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I just noticed Mary's 'Christmas Angel Bear' challenge and it made me think about wings.  I've never made a winged bear before and am curious to find out more about the different techniques used to create wings for bears and dolls.  I checked the TT categories and it doesn't look like we've discussed these techniques before, so I thought I'd raise the topic and as for any tips or suggestions you'd like to share!  Thanks!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

ahhh, one of my favourite things to make bear_wub  bear_wub There are so so many, when I began, I started off with buying ready made (fake) butterflies, chopping out the middle (gizzards lol) and then embelishing the wings with more glitter and paint, and attaching them to my bears, I still have a collection of bears made with these sorts of wings, they are so nice still and stand up well I think. 
If you want to make your own from scratch, there are sooo many ways now... fantasy film and fibre, TLS, printouts on the computer....mind you, a lot of it is trial and error, even if you have instructions written out in front of you, still give yourself time to play, and make mistakes...its fun, well I think it is  bear_tongue  Even now, a good set of wings will take me 3-4 hours....gosh I haven't actually timed myself coz I do enjoy it, but I think that's approx right....
If your more intrested in getting ready made, but still with the appeal of hand made... look into ebay, there are lots of people who make wings, and if you don't enjoy the process, it may be the way to go, some of them are stunning!

Kent
Website

Hi Sarah, thanks for the advice.  It sounds like a really interesting thing to do ... from the research I've done so far, there are lots of options to play with!  I even found a book on the subject, so I've ordered that ... whether or not you'll ever see a 'winged All Bear' remains to be seen though!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Paula,

Did you see this link? http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3837

I asked this same questions quite some time ago.  Although my intent was for bears of a much smaller scale than yours if I remember correctly there was quite a bit of good information in this discussion.  I actually saved it in my favorites.  I know there are some links to other sites and so forth.  I hope there's something here that will at least get you in the right direction.

Have fun in your research.

Shantell

Kent
Website

Thanks Shantell, I must have missed that one!  I'll take a look!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Yes, thanks, Shantell. Your link offers some great ideas. I love TamiL's little Fairy Doogle wings, but they are so unique it would look like I'm copying. Thanks.

Board footer