Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Guys, I am sure someone will help..................please!!!!

We have just done a doll and bear fair, my daughter was bowled over with the Asain Ball Jointed Dolls that were there and I was hoping someone might give me a few pointer.........................she would like to have a go at making one (well finishing)

:pray:  :pray:  :pray: so any websites to buy the naked one or a forum

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

I have a Lati (Yellow) ball jointed doll and they are totaly adorable
http://www.latidoll.com/2007_en/index.htm
chloe.jpg
Also have a look on ebay

Hugs  :hug:
Vicki x

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Noel4.jpgNoel-in-her-onsie.jpgHi,

are you talking soft sculpture or porcelain?

I'd be happy to help if I can.

soft sculture is probably easier, you will need different sized round hard rubber or wood balls,

in porcelain the mold should include the balls

What help do you need?
hugs
dilu

Thank you Vicki, I will check out the web pages in detail but oh boy are they expensive

Dilu, I am interested in Dollfie/BJD/MSD haven't a clue what they are made off. The ones we saw were purchased from Volt? or Luts? and then customised. My daughter was totally stunned by them, I have tried for ages to interest her in a craft hobby and this seems to have sparked her like nothing else.

The problem I have is they cost soooooooooo much in the nude state and I wondered if there was a cheaper maker who she could "practice" on. I, in my innocence, thought you bought the bits (arms legs etc) and put them together yourself but no you buy the blank doll complete and then dress, alter, add to, wigs and so on

I signed up for a doll forum but you have to give details on your collection OOOPS, so I can't even lurk......................just imagine NO lurkers, a crime or what.
So any advice greatly recieved at this point, the site Vicki suggested is great but a 10cm nude doll is $130 bear_cry

Thank you

PS just noticed the piccies, lovely but Catherine likes the willowy gothic thin things bear_wacko

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Hi Sue, I too am in love with those dolls...  inspired by these, I actually sculpted a 10-jointed  doll a few years ago and made her in porcelain but of course I can't get the movement these gorgeous pieces have! I wish I had the $$ to sculpt one properly and have her cast in resin.
   Check the "dollfie" category on Ebay (Not sure if that's a category in UK ebay, it is on the US one I know that much) you will see a variety of BJDs there. There is also a magazine called Haute Doll that has lots of BJD stories- that is available on Ebay too. Also, try http://www.denofangels.com if you haven't already,  lots and lots of info there!:)

p.s there are smaller less expensive ones, Barbie sized, if you search Ebay for 27cm in the Dollfie category.

Karen, thanks so much, I have found "denofangels", I told her she had to do the searching on that bear_thumb

Thanks for the tip on 27cm ones, I did have a peak on ebay.com at dinner but what a large catagory, just have to keep my eyes peeled bear_ermm

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Oh my gosh these dolls are BEAUTIFUL.... I really want one now bear_tongue  Of course, I immediately picked out 'Kaede' the Super Dollfie Cute model, which was of course the first one they even made and subsequently only available for many hundreds of pounds XD  But oh, I really want one now...

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

Put Lati in search on ebay. Some great pics to look at on flickr. You might find a connection to someone that blogs about them via flickr too. I just keep looking at the photos and wishing.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

http://piposland.com/index.php
I love these ones myself. It was vicky who put me onto them I think.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I just got my first BJD from Custom House. They are one of the less expensive ones I think, but I just love my little doll. I loved finishing her and I am planning to make other outfits for her too!
I agree den of angels is a wonderful place to start. I read about the different styles brands and all sorts of things to decide what I wanted and how to get started. WARNING:Hours can disappear as you search through!

Sue,

yikes! now that is expensive,

however I think you could do what you described, anime? tall willowy in cloth  by using a stretch fabric and designing it yourselves.....kind of like designing a bear....really, just exaggerate the limbs and head....once you have a pattern you two could take off from there.

how to start?  how did you start bears?  dolls are about the same-cleaner faces perhaps, not too many fuzzy nosed dolls, but a body a head and four appendages.....

Sassy's has great doll fabrics and colors

given how wonderful your bears are, I've no doubt that a doll you two designed would be wonderful as well.....

I think I will go look at the ones you mentioned, it sounds interesting.

http://www.dollicieux.com/

is this what you had in mind?

dilu

[img]fea3.jpg[/img]

Dilu yes those are the expensive b****rs, this is the style she likes, its amazing you buy eyes wigs and outfits, paint the face and hey presto done

These dolls are soooooooo expensive to buy customised, I am tempted myself, I understand they are just starting to pick up momentum here in the UK

Ideally I would like to buy her about 6 cheap (really really cheap) dolls to experiment on but the only ones I can think of are Barbies etc which are hard plastic and would not paint well bear_wacko

karenaus Melbourne
Website
FenBeary Folk wrote:

[url]http://www.teddy-talk.com/upload/200807/fea3.jpg[/url]

Dilu yes those are the expensive b****rs, this is the style she likes, its amazing you buy eyes wigs and outfits, paint the face and hey presto done

These dolls are soooooooo expensive to buy customised, I am tempted myself, I understand they are just starting to pick up momentum here in the UK

Ideally I would like to buy her about 6 cheap (really really cheap) dolls to experiment on but the only ones I can think of are Barbies etc which are hard plastic and would not paint well :wacko:

Sue, people repaint Barbies and other similar dolls as well.. actually their repainting is usually much more elaborate than the Dollfie 'face ups' - search for 'repaint' in the dolls category, you will be amazed by some of the work!

Do you know Karen, as soon as I typed the Barbie bit I remembered a TT'rs fabulous piccie of her customised Barbie, fantastic.............I just searched its Tami, gypsy Barbie  :dance:

I think this maybe the way to start, its affordable, easy to get hold off, I will do just that search........................................................somehow I thought this was her project  :crackup: humph

Where should I search.............ebay, google!!! You know I new you guys would have answers, your all the best  bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

My daughter paints Barbies, actually pretty much redesigns them into gothic dolls, gypsies, all kinds of dark stuff,  We just buy the cheap ones, she has done some wonderful work, she is only 15, but she started about 3 or 4 years ago,  They are a great place to start.  She uses blonds and brunettes, the blonds she colors their hair with permanent markers, works great,  she actually uses permanent markers and paint on their faces too

Joanne

Milford Ohio

Sue, you might not need a bunch of dolls. You can do a "face up", (BJD speak for face painting) on these resin dolls and then take it off and redo it. I bought my first doll blank. I love a challenge and I did a pretty good job with the first one I think although I see room fro improvement and so when I have time I will wipe off her face with acetone and try again.

Ahhh Tami, you let the cat out of the bag....need to post a piccy, let us see!

I am intrigued....

di

So am I and Joanne, would it be poss to see some of your daughters Barbies as well

:pray:  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Milford Ohio

bear_grin  bear_grin Twist my arm!!!! bear_grin  bear_grin
There are many styles of BJDs of course I opted for CUTE!

Here is my Custom House Ange Ai Gaby as she arrived:

Box_opening_021.jpg

Here she is with the mohair wig I chose. It is a bleuette wig style called Raven.
Box_opening_013.jpg

Here she is with her "face up" and Halloween Kitty outfit I made. I bought the cute shoes and they inspired the dress and ears.
Chloe_022.jpg
Chloe_031screen.jpg

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Love your Doll Tami!  I really want to give this a go, but I really can't afford one... phooey bear_tongue  I really like the look of Grown Up Coco on the LatiDolls site, but she'd be almost £150- far too much for a girl saving to wrestle with penguins!  I'll just have to admire from afar... boo bear_original

Milford Ohio

Chloe, I'd take playing with real penguins over a doll, too. (By the way I've named my dolly Chloe!!!!)

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Aww Tami she is beautiful  bear_wub  The faceup you did is outstanding  :clap:  :clap:  and i love her outfit  bear_wub

Hugs  :hug:
Vicki xx

Board footer