Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

So... there are a lot of you that say mini bears are addicting.

I love the look of minis and am thinking about trying one.... but, they are so small!  bear_wacko

I was wondering if anyone would share there thoughts as the pros and cons of minis.   bear_ermm

I usually make large bears so... What size should I try first? Thanks! :hug:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Dear Sheryl,

I am not a mini bear maker... I have always been scared by their so tiny size...
but I took the plunge when Nany Tillberg proposed her classroom for pins with a mini teddy bear head (at ebearz univ). Thanks Nancy! you are a gem!
My smaller bear before that try was... 21 cm tall!

I used some mini bear material I first bought in order to use for paw pads : so kind of mini-cashemire which does not fray at all.
For a first try, I have to say I was surprised I did so well. It is a little hard for the eyes the first time as all is so small... You need a very good lighting (I use my daylight lamp).
A mini bear head can be done pretty fast (in one day, you should be able to complete a pin if all goes well and even you can take your time). Right, some people may smile, as they can make a whole bear in a day, but I am as slow as a slug at sewing!  bear_tongue

I am not sure yet I will try to make whole mini bears... but we never now, don't we?

I think you should have a try, making like me begin with just a head to make a pin or a pendant, and then if you had fun making it, you can make more or try whole bears.

As soon as I finnished my first pin, I began a new one... so yes, i believe there can be some kind of addiction about making them.
But to garanty a maximum fun, try using fabrics that do not fray!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Sheryl,

I don't normally make mini bears but for my blog giveaway I wanted a tiny bear to go with the Annie I also created.  The bear is 3" tall...let me tell you, they are just as difficult if not more so then the bigger bears.  There really is no room for error such as the seam allowance...even the tiniest stitch in or out will make a HUGE difference where as a bigger bear you might get by with a small slip and no one would know.  I had to make one limb over again because I literally squeeze it so hard concentrating while I was sewing the seam closed that I shot it clear across the room and still haven't found it.  I think it's under and cabinet.

I enjoyed every frustrating moment of it...too bad my hands are the size of a kindergartner's.   :crackup:   So...what am I making right now...another silly little mini.  I'm determined to conquer.   bear_thumb   

Give a go...just go slow and enjoy the process.

Hugs,
Shantell

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I had to make one limb over again because I literally squeeze it so hard concentrating while I was sewing the seam closed that I shot it clear across the room and still haven't found it.  I think it's under and cabinet.

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Wow, I needed that laugh!

Thank you. Thank you all for your posts too... I am giving everything you all say a lot of thought! bear_thumb

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I am delving into the mini world at the moment, inspired by Honeythorpe Bears.

Have a look at Melissas bears and you will be inspired too...they are the cutest..

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO
tuppies teddies wrote:

I am delving into the mini world at the moment, inspired by Honeythorpe Bears.

Have a look at Melissas bears and you will be inspired too...they are the cutest..

What is the website for Honeythorpe bears?

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I love making minis/small bears, I was intimidated by them too for ages, then one day I found my stash of mini fabrics and thought why not go for it, it can't hurt anyone! bear_grin I am so glad I made the effort.
     Pros- you use so much less fabric, they are quicker to sew and stuff, and you only need little scraps to trim them with, if you are into trimming (as I am lol)  and they are so darn cute when they are done bear_wub Plus they take up much less room- for you or collectors bear_happy
     Cons- not as many fabrics to choose from (pile length, thickness, also you have to be fussier about backings with minis) You have to be *very* exact with your cutting and sewing, as others have said.
    If you want to try some minis I'd advise you to make sure you have the right tools, I find tiny hemostats/forceps invaluable for turning and stuffing, others use tiny tweezers and chopsticks, so you may need to experiment a bit. The Mini section of Teddy Talk has a lot more hints as well.
     I love making tinies, so much more than larger bears! Give it a go come to the dark side bear_grin

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Here's some advice that I swear by. ....Start at 6" for the first one. make out of a short pile.
Shrink the pattern for the next one. Say about 4 1/2 - 5"
It is definitely worth popping onto Sassy Fabrics. (URL in the vendors area)
Sassy long pile is the best for minis especially a newbie. If you sew by hand? smaller needles will be the go. I use a bigeye #12 quilters. This very thing was discussed in 'Tips and techs' just recently.
You will also need a fine but strong thread. You can pick that up at Sassy's as well while you are there.
I found it is easier to progress to smaller bears. They are now second nature to me. But it has taken me all year to get down to 3". My 6" critters feel like giants to me now.
Happy sewing!!!

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I agree! You really need to work your way down to tiny teddies.

My bears are small but to make a true miniature I find that you really have to "think" differently when you are designing and constructing it. It took me a year or two of trying to make a  good miniature teddy before I was successful....oh yeah, I'm talking about mink teddy miniatures. I would challenge myself to see how small I could make a mink bear. I think that my smallest was about 2 inches.

I prefer working small. There is less room for error and it is more challenging and I like that.
Like anything else, "practice makes perfect"...and with every mini that you make you will be learning.
Have fun!
:hug:
Kathy

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have been making mini bears for not quite a year now although I have been making bears for nearly 4 years.I am well and truly hooked on minis and love to make them.
It is easier to go down in your sizes gradually as the smaller they are the more precise they need to be and it can be hard if you go down in your sizes too quickly.There are pros and cons with big and small bears so it really depends on the person and what they don't mind putting up with.The most annoying thing I find with minis is how easy it is to loose the pieces when you are sewing them.
Have fun and remember to post your piccies when you make your mini creations :photo:
Laurie :hug:

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

I have only made 2 big bears. My "big" ones are now 3 inch. Cant explain why. I am no expert but some things I have found... Karen was right. If you have the right haemostat it makes life soo much easier. I use an orange stick (for cuticles) for stuffing. Have some amazing tiny needles that I "borrowed" from my Mom, going to have to come clean and ask her what they are so I can get more  :redface:  Fabric can be difficult, I dont like using stuff to make it stop fraying cause I cant get the line thin enough and it seems to be difficult to make the seam flat if it leaches into the non seam allowance bit (make any sense?). Also whatever fabric you get has to be quite pliable/soft otherwise turning little peices is very frustrating. But not too soft otherwise the stuffing looks bumpy.  The upside is that I used to buy bags of "scraps" from a shop in Durban SA that were perfect for tinies. Which makes me think..... why dont some of you that make big bears sell some of your bits to those of us who make tinies???? Even scraps of other fabric like tule, small prints etc....for tiny outfits???? Used to have a lovely collection but with traveling had to start again. A friend in the UK sent be a big envelope of bits of stuff, ribon, lace etc. It was like christmas. Funny, shops dont want to sell you a 5 square inch of fabric??? But I do love them

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

l love making 'mini's' at the moment and have been inundated with orders for them, l went from making a 30''er to making a 3''er and l know that was a bit extreme, l made my first 'mini', he did turn out quite well but l never made another one until a few months ago when l became addicted to making them! l started with cashmere and now l am expermenting with different fabric's. At the moment l am making a 4''er and l am jointing him with cotter joints, that should be fun  :crackup:

wiggles xxx

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hi Guys,
I make bears in all shapes and sizes - but there IS something special about the minis!  The trick is to try to get your tiny bear to look as good as his bigger brothers:  one of the biggest compliments anyone can pay me is to say they didn't realise how small a bear is just by looking at his picture. 

I think you have to develop a totally different mindset for making minis.  I find that I need to be in a really calm frame of mind and have peace and quiet to do this successfully - it is almost a kind of meditation!

Here is one of my latest bears - Antoine, who stands around 5 1/2 inches.  He is made from Sassy smoky long pile... oh yes - you will find that Sassy Fabrics are addictive too!! bear_grin
antoine6.jpg

Hugs,
Christinex

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

karenaus wrote:

Give it a go come to the dark side :lol:

We have cookies!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Sorry, I saw that on a tshirt recently and it cracked me up!

Seriously... Some people find it easier to start with a larger mini - like 5" tall and then work their way smaller.  That's how I did it.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

It's the CHALLENGE!
To design and create something that, with no other point-of-reference, you would not know its size, in a photograph.
That means having an innate or learned sense of proportion and scale.
I have made exactly ONE standard sized bear, in a Diane Gard class - not finished & NEVER again!!!!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi, I can tell ya, they are addicting, I designed my first one about a week ago...a mini Fairy Doogle, well lets say mini to me, she was 5" from head to toe.
She took just as long to make as my bigger ones also!  bear_tongue
I love making them.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OH WOW a 'mini fairy Doogle' :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I started out making real minis - 2 - 3 inches and always from mohair, but my hands gave out.  I make 4-6 inch ones now and it's easier on my hand to sew them, but occasionally I have to treat myself to a really small one.  They are addictive and also so transportable = sewing in the car, doctors waithing room etc.

Bobbie, I agree with you - I've made one 10 inch bear and one was more than enough.  I've done a few 7 inch but 4-6" are best for me.

hugs,

Brenda

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

Bobbie, I didn't realize you didn't finish it!!! Pam :crackup:

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I make bears in a whole range of sizes, from about 24" down to 2" and everything in between! I like to mix them up, as the big bears, I find quite taxing on various aging body parts, and while the minis are easier on the back and neck, these ol' eyes can find them a bit difficult bear_wacko Also, I like to use up scraps of fabric from big bears in miniatures, trim the fur down and you can get some great mini fur for "nothing", though I do really, really love using the Sassy fur! The challenge, of course is to get as much character in a mini as you get in a big bear and if you have BIG fingers like me then they can be really fiddly, tools are a great help here. bear_original

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I googled Melissa bears but the website would not come up.
However I found a piece on her bears that just recently made an appearance in ABC..mag.

http://www.woodlandspublishing.com.au/a … atures.pdf

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

Pro's:

They are addicting, as I'm finding out.  We just finished our first mini named Speck

1.jpg

Con's:

I keep jabbing myself with the needle  :crackup:

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been reading all of your post and I want to thank you all so much for your input. I have not responded because I came down sick... I will get back to you all soon. Thanks again and hugs to all! :hug:

Board footer