Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Ok, so you may remember back in August I received my first custom order for a sloth, one to look like my first ever sloth Poke.  Poky was the result, so I sent him off to his new home in the States to a lady who now has three Luglys bear_original

Finalbodyup.jpg

Unfortunately when he got there she thought he wasn't close enough to the original, so I agreed to swap him for a different sloth Cosmos- I was happier doing this than messing around with Poky's face again.  Now I have Poky here with me, but I am worried people will think there is something wrong with him (there isn't- I was actually very happy with him bear_original ) because he was rejected, so I have not sold him on yet... I'm curious to know people's opinion...

Would you be put off by an old custom bear/critter?  Do you think it's better to reinvent the animal in question?

ursaminor Posts: 52

I'd say sell him! :)

He's a beautiful little sloth and as long as you're willing to give him up, there's nothing 'old' about him. He's only a few months in! I'd give him a name/story revamp only if you want to. He's still 'himself' since you sent over Cosmo in his place. If the custom order was to the commissioner's specifications (name and backstory), I'd change those. Otherwise, I'd find him a new loving home.

I don't think anyone would be put off by homing a homeless sloth, no matter where he came from or how 'old' he was!

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Personally, as a buyer, it wouldn't put me off - i don't think you need to mention he was a 'rejected' custom order - it's more important to me whether the bear is OOAK or not.
I wouldn't think of him as second hand, and i'd just sell him as a bear/sloth you made. I don't think he's old, just special  bear_wub

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

No problem at ALL!  I tell all of my collectors when they order a bear that there is no obligation to purchase.  I email photos first.  As a collector myself I know that each bear or critter is a little different as they are entirely hand made.  Someone always ends up falling in love  bear_wub

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks everyone bear_original  I'm glad to hear that Poky will not be an ostracised Leper XD I only wish I'd sold him earlier to catch the Christmas gift people... I'll probably put him up in January, unless I decide to reinvent him...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I totally agree with everyone else!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Don't change him!  He can come live with me! bear_wub

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website
Jennskains wrote:

Don't change him!  He can come live with me! :love:

Lol, thanks! XD  Looks like it's not a problem that I have to change with his face then, just his dis-similarity to Original Poke? I'm glad bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sorry Chloe ...but who would actually know? Sell him. His history is your business noone elses.
There is no need to explain yourself with any of your critters. bear_thumb

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website
matilda wrote:

Sorry Chloe ...but who would actually know? Sell him. His history is your business noone elses.
There is no need to explain yourself with any of your critters. :thumbsup:

I only worry because his information is on my website, and has been for some time XD So I guess people will know, unless I remove him from my gallery an that seems a bit dishonest or sneaky to me...

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm with Laura Lyn on this one .. I email photographs of my custom order first and only send (and charge the balance) when they have been approved by the customer.

I think it's important to have confidence in your work ... just because your sloth wasn't quite the one for your first customer, doesn't mean he won't sell to another.

FrizzyBear New York

The beauty of the world is that everyone has different taste and that just because this particular customer didn't see what you do in your little sloth, someone else will see heaven.  Know what I mean?  He's a little cutie!  bear_wub

Even if it's been on your website as a custom order, go forward saying nothing other than you are pleased to offer this little guy for adoption/sale, or that he's become available.   bear_thumb  Circumstances change for customers, too. 

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Just sell him. No one needs to know he was "rejected" lol. He is very cool btw. I still love that pink one you did. bear_original that was one gorgeous critter that never did escape my thoughs.

Hugs,
Melanie

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks everyone bear_original You have calmed me bear_original  I did send photos first, and he was accepted and paid for, but when he got there the collector didn't feel he was 'right'. I wanted to make her (and everyone else I sell to, obviously!) happy, so I said I'd swap him for another one when she found one she liked- and that was my very next sloth :P

I will take some snazzy new photos in January and offer him again. Maybe we'll be lucky!

(And thanks Melanie- I'm amazed you remember Liebe- he was my first big sloth for sale! I have a red one planned this year bear_happy )

Board footer