Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

M&Ms Cootamundra

Hi everyone. I have never made a miniature bear before but have always loved the look of them.
Can anyone tell me the best way to do a miniature bear and just give me some tips. and what to use for the bears.
I have made a few larger bears even designed my own, but  the miniatures are just so gorgous.
any help would be great. im sorry if this has been ask before.
Thanks.
Chris.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi Chris. A good place to start is to look at this website http://www.sassybearsandfabrics.com/ for all your fabrics etc. The Sassy longpile is fabulous and very easy to work with. A kit would be a good idea too. I pretty much make mine the same as the big ones, some do, some don't, but thats how I do them. I find having the right fabric, thin needles and the right thread helps a lot. Steph pretty much had everything you need and is very helpful.

Start there, then give us a shout when you need to know more. Its a learning curve, thats for sure. :hug:

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

Hi Chris,

I ditto what Amanda said...Sassy's is a very good place to start to get the right kinds of fabrics and small supplies needed for miniatures.  Another tip I would give someone starting out with miniatures is to start on the bigger sizes and work your way down.  Don't start out trying to make a 3 inch tall bear....perhaps try a 6 inch one, then a 5 inch, then 4, then try the 3 inch size...etc.  It's easier for you to get an understanding of the difficulties of working with miniatures this way without getting so frustrated you just give up.

Be sure to post pictures for us when you get something done so we can all share in your celebration of your first miniature!

/miniteddyhugs,

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

l agree with whats been said one here, l made 'larger' bears until l discovered the world of 'mini's', Sassy mohair is just right to start with, maybe a kit would be ideal too as a start bear_wub

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Hi Chris, not sure where in Aus you are, but Kim at Bear Essence here in Melbourne has Sassy long pile if you want to try that- less time to wait for it to arrive bear_grin .  There is getting to be lots of great mini fabrics around these days so there's lots to experiment with. Intercal has some really nice mohairs suitable for Minis as well. Valma up at Teddy's Bits and Gerrys also carry Sassy I think, and Valma also has the new Japanese silk fabrics which are also awesome for minis (they don't fray either)
   One thing when you go small and design your own pattern, is that a couple of millimetres realllly makes a difference on a pattern piece- so as someone else suggested you might like to work your way down in size and don't start off teeny weeny to start with, maybe go to 5" (this is still a manageable size for mohair if the backing is firm) then go smaller and smaller as you feel more confident. A kit/pattern can also be a good starting point for your first mini, even if you do design your own patterns.
    A tool I find invaluable and essential for Minis, are tiny hemostats/forceps, Intercal sells them, as does Bear Essence. I use them for almost everything but most of all for turning- which is the trickiest part of Minis I think.  Don't skimp on your openings! bear_grin
      Bye for now, Karen

M&Ms Cootamundra

thank you everyone for your reply. They will help me for sure.

Karen. I live in N.S.W so a bit far from Melbourne. I have looked at a few web sights and Gerrys do sell Sassy. i may have to think about placing an order after christmas.
thanks everyone
Chris.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
M&Ms wrote:

thank you everyone for your reply. They will help me for sure.

Karen. I live in N.S.W so a bit far from Melbourne. I have looked at a few web sights and Gerrys do sell Sassy. i may have to think about placing an order after christmas.
thanks everyone
Chris.

Bear Essence does mail orders, and I am pretty sure Teddys  Bits in Sydney carries Sassy as well if you want to see it in person before you buy (and they also have the lovely silks)

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Chris: I love making mini bears. I agree with everybody's feedback. I would like to add that sewing needles are important. Meaning you want thin ones. I use John James #12 Sharpes.  Here is what they look like. I don't like the quilting one for they are too short for my hands but these are thin and won't leave holes in your fur.

http://www.newmexicobeads.com/mm5/merch … re_Code=BW

Also there are a couple of books on how to make minis that are wonderful. They are:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Enchanting-M … 656&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Dressing-M … pd_sim_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Miniatur … 656&sr=1-5

Happy sewing. Post pictures.

Board footer