Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

gingerbear vermont

Hi ladies,

For some reason the first needlefelted project I did went better than this next one,   bear_ermm  so I am wondering if someone can clarify something for me, since I can't remember what I did the first time when it worked!!! :wacko:

I like my pieces needlefelted firmly. So when adding a longer snout to a round core ball, should I be felting that ball as hard as I can get it and THEN add the snout? Or should there still be some give in the initial ball when I add on to it? It seems the snout won't felt down as firmly when I add it afterwards.

Thanks!!!!!!!! bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower

ginnie

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

i felt them separate a bit and then add them and felt them together.. I find if you felt too hard before you add them together, they wont stay together.... kind of like when working with clay.... you need to score it and then add slip and then the parts will stick.....

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Ginnie.   I agree with Kimmy.  Leave some looser wool to mesh the snout/muzzle to the head.   You can always keep adding more wool to build up your project to get just the right details you want.

Isn't this felting art fun!!???

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is one of the reasons I like felting, you can add or take away... my last feltie (Leah) I actually messed up on her head (I put a bit of super glue behind the eyes and then tie them in but the front of the eye popped off and I couldnt get the rest out of the head so I cut the head off and put a new one on LOL sounds violent!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

LOL!  In this case Kimmy, "violence" worked for you!!! bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

Needle felting is very forgiving bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub

Ginnie please post some pictures of your projects.  We love photos!!! bear_wub bear_wub bear_thumb bear_wub bear_wub

gingerbear vermont

thanks for the tips, girls.   i don't have much to post yet, judi... i did post my mouse already, the rest of the projects are "in the works".   hopefully my computer whiz son will be home from college this weekend and help me learn to resize my photos so i can actually have an AVATAR!!! whoopee!!! :lol:

i really LOVE needlefelting, it's just wonderful.   bear_wub  and since i don't really know what i'm doing i'm free to make all kinds of wacky experiments and mistakes along the way.   bear_shocked i've already tried whacking off half an arm and re-felting it and it worked great!  that's what i need, plenty of room for mistakes.  :rolleyes:

ginnie

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I agree mistakes can be hidden thats the great thing about it.    Also you can keep adding and adding until it meets the eye appeal your after.  bear_original

Board footer